Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 77 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 75 76 77 78 79 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,497
Points 48,230
Angele replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 10:38 PM

WTG Donna! Woohoo! It does feel great when you have success like that! 

As for me this week I stayed the same, and it's OK as I was down in my exercise minutes.  Work does get in the way!  Oh well, I've got to manage my time better.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,497
Points 48,230
Angele replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 10:42 PM

Congrats Debbie. You've worked to win this. I hope you win the 100$ too! 

As for your 5:2 diet, I'll pass as I too get hunger headaches and they're no fun.  I have to eat breakfast or else I get headaches and nauseous.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:50 AM

Debbie, I thought the 5:2 diet was where you follow your chosen diet for 5 days and eat more generously for 2 days.   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 8:15 AM

5:2 says to have 5 feast days, and 2 fast days.

I agree with you that fasting isn't fun.  Bit it really isn't a fast as you can eat 500 calories (not much at all).  So fast days aren't really fasting, just as feast days aren't really feasting, in my opinion.  Too new to rate for me, but giving it a try....

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 12:10 PM

Annie:

5:2 says to have 5 feast days, and 2 fast days.

I agree with you that fasting isn't fun.  Bit it really isn't a fast as you can eat 500 calories (not much at all).  So fast days aren't really fasting, just as feast days aren't really feasting, in my opinion.  Too new to rate for me, but giving it a try....

I'm going to open my mouth here...sigh.  (I am not in favor of "diets" per se and will explain why I do not like this one in-particular below.)  

It is a reality (for 99% of us) that the reason we are over-weight is that we ate more calories than our body had burned...OVER TIME.  It took us time to put these pounds on, and if we want to take them off safely and sensibly, we need to do it slowly and in a healthy manner that our bodies can live with long-term.  To be healthy we need to increase our activity (exercise) calories burned and decrease our food  (calorie intake).  There is no other healthy way and there is no long term quick fix.  Most of us have found this out the hard way over years of experience.  It still isn't easy, but we know this to be true.

This diet is designed to "trick" your metabolism.  Basically you are eating at a feast mode for a few days and then do an extreme negative - way below your BMR (the amount required to keep you alive if you are just laying in bed all day), ie the 500 calories...then switching it up to feast mode right away again. (I would  guess most of our BMR's are between 1000 and 1200 calories per day...depending on your height.) 

This might be OK short term (to break through a plateau?), but long term it could be very damaging to your thyroid!  It is one of the major side-effects of bulimia (binge eating and purging)...your thyroid doesn't know whether there is food in your system to process or not and is constantly switching gears (layman's terms) so it actually wears out.  I have a friend who was bulimic for years, and her thyroid gland was destroyed as a result.  (She's in her early 40's now, this happened in her early 30's.  She was bulimic for around 10 years!)

JMHO, but I would be very concerned about this...

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,599
Points 26,900
Debbie replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 4:49 PM

Girls, have to share my good news!  Not only did I win $50 in my work's Lite 'N Up challenge but also won another $100.  Seems I was the 4th highest loser (did it by percentage of weight lost) and one person declined the prize so I got it instead!  

WooHoo!!  $150 and I want to buy either EQ7 or Quilt Pro.  Any input or preferences you gals can offer.  Is one better than the other, about the same?  I did notice a difference in cost of about $50 so thought I would put it out and see what the experts who are using these can tell me.  Thanks in advance!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 4:55 PM

Dear, wtg good for you

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 5:31 PM

Debbie, congratulations!  You worked hard for that prize, so hope you enjoy it!  I have EQ7, but don't use it as much as I should.   I don't know much about Quilt Pro, but from reading I understand it doesn't have the capacity that EQ7 has.  But, if you just want the basics, that might be perfect for you.  The bottom line, is you will need to decide.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,450
Jacy replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 6:34 PM

Debbie:
I want to buy either EQ7 or Quilt Pro.  Any input or preferences you gals can offer.

Kris would be the one who knows, she has both, Hopefully she sees this. I do know the EQ7 won't work on a Mac, only on Windows.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Wed, Mar 27 2013 7:17 PM

Debbie, I am so jealous, but congratulations on your big win.   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:56 AM

Congrats Debbie,

i have EQ7 and love it.  I did have to take a few classes from Quilt University to get the hang of it.  Now I feel I can do lots more on EQ7 than I ever thought possible.  My advice is to be patient with the learning curve.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 9:06 AM

Hi Donna,

I agree with you, it's all a matter of calories in and calories out.  I was told a few years back that if you multiply your weight by 11 (12 for men) that gives you the number of calories needed to maintain that weight - of course that's just an estimate.  So then if you take your desired weight and multiply it by 11 that should give you your calories for the day to maintain lowered body weight.  any difference between the 2 will produce one pound of weight loss for every 3500 calorie deficit.  Seems pretty logical.  

I'm sure we'll soon be hearing a ton of negative comments from this new fad diet, as we have with al the ones that have come and gone.

My problem with weight loss is that although I know every kind of food is OK in moderation - I tend to lose track of the meaning of moderation lol.

Good luck everyone with your weight loss journey - be healthy and happy!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,497
Points 48,230
Angele replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 1:40 PM

Congratulations Debbie. You did great and I'm glad you will get the computer program. You worked hard to get this.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:19 PM

Jacy:

Debbie:
I want to buy either EQ7 or Quilt Pro.  Any input or preferences you gals can offer.

Kris would be the one who knows, she has both, Hopefully she sees this. I do know the EQ7 won't work on a Mac, only on Windows.

Hi. Here are my thoughts on the subject:

I have Quilt Pro for Mac and it's not great but I've used the Windows version and it's much better. II also have EQ on a PC (doesn't work well on Macs with virtualisation software.) If you have Windows I'd say either one is fine. EQ is more popular but they both do the same thing. Both have great add ons.

EQ just added embroidery (EQ Stitch) that I've just begun to play with.

Quilt pro has strip piecing wizard that give you charts for strip cutting EQ doesn't. Quilt pro offers a free trial download before you buy. Not sure if EQ does or not.

I believe those who start with EQ like it better and vice versa. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 7:20 PM

BTW congrats on the win Debbie.

Page 77 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 75 76 77 78 79 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use