Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 75 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 73 74 75 76 77 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 179,593
Marie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 9:46 AM

Leslie :

Marie, I always eat what i want,  but i do use portion control.   But i don't buy things i have a big weakness for,   like potato chips,   I still have only loss 12lbs been stuck there for a month now, need to figure out what to do next lol

Leslie, the last time I shopped I was on my pity pot and bought giant breakfast muffins, cupcakes, ice cream, cheese and crackers so I am set up for a fall.  I decided to try and eat all of that a small portion at a time but blew that idea with the muffins and ice cream yesterday.  I started out with a muffin this morning, which is bad, but let's see what the rest of the day is like.  It's either feast or famine with me, no middle road.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 179,593
Marie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 9:58 AM

Star congrats on maintaining and your twin grand babies.  What fun they will be for you.  Good luck with your PT, not having motion will be hard on your quilting and enjoying those babies.  Sorry you have that portion control problem but it sounds like you have it under control.  I can too but sometimes, too many times, my emotions get in the way and I need my comfort foods.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

So I'm still following along.  I had intended on posting last week since I was off (DS was on spring break), but I ended up sleeping 12-14 hours a day.  Some nasty little virus got hold of me and I just slept and slept and ate.

Marie - after reading your response about portion control, I can say that I have that same issue...but I have noticed others having the same issue.  It makes me wonder if, in our formative years, the "eat every scrap of food you are given" mentality (followed up by the ever awesome, "there are children starving in other countries" bit) made us think about food in the all or nothing way.  I am careful to never say that to my son.  I want him to have a healthy relationship with food.

Lately I have started taking 5HTP.  Medical professionals are back and forth on this supplement, but so far I'm liking it.  It is an amino acid that helps your brain create more serotonin, which helps with depression, mood stabilization, eating binges (apparently it is supposed to help reduce the craving for bad carbs), and sleep.  I can say that it has helped me not have the internal urge to fall face first into my refrigerator and eat the entire contents, which, quite frankly, is quite unusual given that I have had that urge most of my life.  I, too, am all or nothing, so I'm learning what the middle road looks like.

I am up 2 lbs, but I'm still going to the gym.  I'm hoping that the 5HTP will help even out the all or nothing food issues I have.  I'm still around, just lurking and realizing that I'm not superwoman after all.  Hard lesson learned. :)

Love and hugs to you all

B

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,697
Points 179,593
Marie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 10:27 AM

Brandy (Modern_Mosaic_Mom):
Marie - after reading your response about portion control, I can say that I have that same issue...but I have noticed others having the same issue.  It makes me wonder if, in our formative years, the "eat every scrap of food you are given" mentality (followed up by the ever awesome, "there are children starving in other countries" bit) made us think about food in the all or nothing way.  I am careful to never say that to my son.  I want him to have a healthy relationship with food.

Could be Brandy.  I'll have to ask my Dr. about 5HTP and see what she has to say about it, thanks for the info.  Have a good week.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,606
Points 26,990
Debbie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 10:32 AM

Star -

I'm with you, portion control is no problem for me, I can stick with 3 oz of meat and be happy.  And I am getting better about eating more fruits and veggies everyday.  last nite we had big salads for suppers - lettuce, cabbage, carrots, cucs, tomatoes and some shredded cheese and then a little, less than 1 oz of chicken lunch meat.  I also weigh or portion out my salad dressing so I don't use too much. 

Been buying low calorie desserts and only have 1 a day, all counted in my 1200 calories. 

I think whoever said our childhood rasining of eat what's on your plate, there's starving children in China is so right.  But we also didn't eat huge portions, like today's meals in restaurants, back then either.  Portions were more along the lines of what they should be.  Super sizing has really gotten out of hand. We grilled 3 huge chicken breasts Sunday night and got 3 meals for both of us out of them.  I'm getting better at it but still working on DH's portions, he wants supersized everything. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,582
Points 24,020
Susie replied on Tue, Mar 19 2013 11:03 AM

Ugh...don't even get me started...I haven't even cared lately about what goes in my mouth.  I hate the fact that the mirror at work shows me more of my body than I even want to see.  I had the orientation in the fitness center at work, so I can start using it now.  IF!!! I can convince my daughter that she needs to pick her girls up from daycare so I can go.  Even if she only does in on Tuesdays, then I can go 3x per week.

Today, I don't even feel like eating anything.  Depression does that to a person.  I know I need to eat, so I will. The cafeteria has made to order stir fry today, so that's my plan.  I love stir fry with sticky rice!

I don't have issues for breakfast.  Oatmeal & coffee.  I like the oatmeal, even though it's not as thick as I make it.  But it fills me up.

Now...if only I can control it at night when I get home!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,035
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 12:53 AM

I've been trying to catch up and reading all the ice cream chatter made me want a hot fudge sundae. I compromised and got a plain sundae. Yummy. I make my own ice cream in the summer. I should be making it now with all the free ice outside in the yard. LOL. It's easy to resist a lot of sweets and treats because of my peanut allergy. Of the things I can eat, I eat the recommended serving size and nothing more. I've never been big on totally giving up anything

I'm now at 10.2 lbs lost. Still doing yoga on my good days. I'll be heading back to the doctor this week since the muscle spasms are worsening.

Our group at work has slipped to second place as some members have gained weight since the last weigh in. 

Congrats to those who are still on track, losing weight and eating healthier. Keep up the good work. If you've slipped don't let it get you down just keep trying.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,092
Leslie replied on Wed, Mar 20 2013 5:05 AM

Kris, great job

Healthy Choice, has a great frozen greek yogurt, that is really good in 100 calorie servings

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 6:19 PM

Great job Kris. As for me I'm learning to control my portions too. Like Kris, I want to be able to eat what I want, even if it is a small piece.  Since the beginning of January, I have lost 11 pounds. Not fast but I want it to be permanent. So I would rather go slow and steady.  This week is hard.  I come home from school bone tired. The kids are so loud and busy....at least to me.  I love what I do still but oh my I would enjoy a few weeks off....just because.  The sun is finally out and it is melting outside! Yeah! If it can be nice and slow there won't any floods.  

Brandy, you are doing great. As long as you keep working at it you will be successful in the long run.

marie, I hear you about having the temptation to eat what is in the house. Stay strong!

to everyone I forgot to name I hope we all continue forward as each step we take is a step towards better health. Better health means more energy to quilt ;-)

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,035
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 10:33 PM

Leslie :

Kris, great job

Healthy Choice, has a great frozen greek yogurt, that is really good in 100 calorie servings

Thanks for the info Leslie. I'll look into it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,035
Points 369,017
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 21 2013 10:40 PM

Angele,

I hope you can get some rest. Has spring break already happened? If so do you have to wait until may or June for summer holidays?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:41 AM

Angele, stress eating is a mistake. ask for God's guidance. He is ready and waiting to help us through stressful times.  I know ho hard this is.

We have started eating candy while reading after we go to bed. We have realized, at long last, that starting this was a major mistake. So, now we have to cut the habit. I told Jim that if we don't allow it in the bedroom, we will eat it more slowly. But, Jim said if we don't buy it, we won't eat it at all.

A great start for me. Lily needs to go out when she gets up. So, we have started walking the trail through the woods. Our neighbor has four acres, he made two into a nature walk/trail. Has directions signs even. Has easy parts and really hard up and down hill parts. Lily LOVES walking the trail. Ha, today we were walking along and came across a old rotten tree. So, I pushed hard on it, and it came down with a loud boom. this was no small tree. Made me feel like Mrs. Stronglady!  Yesterday, while walking on our part of the trail, as he included some of our property, with our blessing, I came acorss an old beer bottle. Hmmm... no telling where that came from! So, I brought my treasure home to Jim. He siad someone who should not have been back there, was,probably, back there. Then this a.m., I spied a yellow handle just peeking out of the leaf undergrowth. Ah Ha! I have dug i t up, with a sturdy stick, and found a hand sprinkler. So, I brought my plunder back to Jim ( my go to guy for treasures), and he was so thrilled. But, said he hadn't lost one. Then he said "Could you find some money?" I wish!

So getting great exercise now. And, am so invigerated to start my day. Win-win.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,606
Points 26,990
Debbie replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:07 AM

Leslie - isn't that the best yogurt asnd low cal!  I really like Healthy Choices products, haven't found anything I haven't want to eat again.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,646
Points 52,585
Ginny replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 9:13 AM

Debbie, I know what you mean, I tried one of the steamer meals- it was the asian pineapple chicken- how flavorful it was and the chicken actually was very good in it,  flavorful and tender. I was so suprised. Yesterday I got a different one to try. Yum yum.   Giny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 10:27 AM

Leslie :

Kris, great job

Leslie, is this a new product?  I saw it at Walmart last Friday, but that is 50 miles away and it would have been melted by the time I got it home.  Our local stores are very good, but a little slow on getting "new" items into their stock, so none available here.  

Oh wait, I will be in Oregon next month and I can try it there!  Thanks Leslie, I'll watch for it.

Winthrop, WA

Page 75 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 73 74 75 76 77 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use