Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 67 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 65 66 67 68 69 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:01 PM

Marie:
WOW, you guys are a lot cheaper than therapy, thanks!!!!!!!!!!  :  )

I wholeheartedly agree. I just yelled at DH and now I'm getting ready to go to work in crappy weather. 

I did get a yoga workout in but my lunch is mac and cheese.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 2:12 PM

Ginny, yes, that's what we do and not even realizing it.  Hope Donna helped you realize it and both of us could go on from here.  Good luck.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 2:16 PM

Kris, enjoy your mac and cheese and then get in another yoga workout.  Sorry, I should be taking my own advice, shouldn't I?

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:59 PM

Susie:

Donna-even though I'm only lurking, I have to say that your "cheerleading" is doing me a world of good as well.  I just plain haven't been motivated to get off my tush and do anything.  I'm so very much a couch potato, and like being one, even if I don't like the way I look.

But my new job will help me get back to the gym (I'll be able to afford my membership again!) and my son will make sure I get there.

Susie, believe me...I could be the world's best couch-potato if I just let myself!  There is nothing I like better than just lazing around with a good book and a bag of M & M's!  BUT, I have a lousy family medical history and 3 sisters with Type 2 diabetes (all 10-15 yrs younger than me), so if I want to enjoy life and be around for another few years I need to live my life differently...period.  And that includes eating more healthy and being more active - which I really try to do most every day.  I agree, it isn't always easy, but it's what I want and need to do for myself!  

So, if I helped kick you in the b... in the process, I'll just say "you're welcome"...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:06 PM

Kris:
I did get a yoga workout in but my lunch is mac and cheese.

I love yoga!  I hope I can get back in a class after the ski season is over.

Mac and Cheese???  Yummmmm   But, not in my "food budget" for today.  I only allow myself a high-calorie food like that when I have burned more than 1,000 calories exercising that day.  Did You?

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 10:19 PM

BTW, has everyone seen the 2/25/13 article in the New York Times about the  new study on the Mediterranean Diet and it's benefits in preventing deaths from Heart Disease?  (Note, This is not a "diet" in terms of for weight loss, but a healthy eating plan for everyone.)

This is a must read:  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/health/mediterranean-diet-can-cut-heart-disease-study-finds.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

A short excerpt:  

"About 30 percent of heart attacks, strokes and deaths from heart disease can be prevented in people at high risk if they switch to a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil, nuts, beans, fish, fruits and vegetables, and even drink wine with meals, a large and rigorous new study has found.  The findings, published on The New England Journal of Medicine’s Web site on Monday, were based on the first major clinical trial to measure the diet’s effect on heart risks. The magnitude of the diet’s benefits startled experts."

Please read this article if you are interested in improving your heart health.   

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 1:20 AM

Donna B:
Mac and Cheese???  Yummmmm   But, not in my "food budget" for today.  I only allow myself a high-calorie food like that when I have burned more than 1,000 calories exercising that day.  Did You?

I sure didn't. Well I might have at work. We were so busy. I didn't stop until after 8 PM. Plus I had to clear s**w from my car (more than once) and do a bit of shovelling when my tires got stuck on the way home from work.

Donna B:
I love yoga!  I hope I can get back in a class after the ski season is over.

In another lifetime I was a Yoga instructor. Now I'm doing Yoga Journal's 21 day challenge in order to get back into practicing. I think I need it these days.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 1:24 AM

Donna B:
BTW, has everyone seen the 2/25/13 article in the New York Times about the  new study on the Mediterranean Diet and it's benefits in preventing deaths from Heart Disease?

Great article. We use a lot of Olive oil for eating and I also use it in my hair and on my skin.

I eat a lot of the stuff recommended in the article except for wine. My problem is a eat a lot of junk too.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:01 AM

Kris:
I eat a lot of the stuff recommended in the article except for wine. My problem is a eat a lot of junk too.

I'm not a big wine drinker either...maybe one glass a month.  I am really working to cut out the junk and processed foods and eat more fruits and vegetables.  I have been eating them, but not to the quantity that is recommended in the Med Diet.  Also, we love seafood, but don't eat it 3 times a week..usually only once.  We are going to move that up to twice a week...just little steps to get closer to the recommended mediterranean food plan.  DH's biggest folly is processed meats!  He loves bacon & sausage!  Not good for him at all.  I have gotten him to eat "country style" bacon (more like canadian - very lean), but the sausage...no hope there...LOL!  Thankfully, I can't stand the stuff!!!

Have a great day Kris and stay away from the junk food...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:03 AM

Kris:
Great article. We use a lot of Olive oil for eating and I also use it in my hair and on my skin.

Do you "ingest' 4 Tablespoons a day?  I think I am at maybe one!  Another thing to work on...

I think you have to ingest the olive oil to gain the heart healthy benefits.  If not, maybe you have the right idea for me!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 1:08 PM

LOL Donna. I do ingest it. It just works really well in my hair too.

Probably not four tablespoons a day. DH cooks with it and we've used it in salad dressing (I don't eat a lot of salads). I've used it to make popcorn but it's not a high heat oil. I prefer coconut oil for popcorn.

I eat olives every now and then. Does that count?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,577
Points 26,425
Debbie replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:21 PM

Weighed myself this morning and lost 1/2 lb, WAHOO!!  I have been cheating a little but I'm back on my water intake today, so that ought to get me moving, which should help with my weight.  Also, hope I cna get on the treadmill tonight and stay on for 30 min.  only lasted 10 min last night before back and legs forced me to halt.

I tell you, if you don't have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) feel real lucky.  It doesn't take much to get me off, like not drinking enough water and I am miserable for 2-3 days till I get back to normal.  experience has taught me to just let it go, let my body adjust itself - no helping with artificial stimulants, if you get my drift. 

Now, ifd back to settle down as easy and quit causing me so much pain, I could get back to sewing for long periods of time.  Just can't get motivated to sew when I know it's going to cause me pain, know what I mean. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,577
Points 26,425
Debbie replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:23 PM

Do you "ingest' 4 Tablespoons a day?

Wow!  that's a half of glass of orange juice.  Have to use alot to get 4 Tbsp.  No way!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:14 PM

I cook with olive oil all the time, just about all i cook with except for cocnut oi,  I take 2 tlbs of coconut oil every morn, and use it for skin and hair care

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Mar 1 2013 12:16 AM

Kris:

LOL Donna. I do ingest it. It just works really well in my hair too.

Probably not four tablespoons a day. DH cooks with it and we've used it in salad dressing (I don't eat a lot of salads). I've used it to make popcorn but it's not a high heat oil. I prefer coconut oil for popcorn.

I eat olives every now and then. Does that count?

Yes, eating olives does count!  My DH inhales them!  I think he is well covered on the olive oil issue.  He also has started putting olive oil and about a tablespoon of shredded white cheese on his oatmeal for breakfast.  He had gotten tired of having sweets (fruit, brown sugar, honey or Agave syrup) on his oatmeal - so the olive oil & cheese worked nicely for him.  Unfortunately, I'd rather have the fruit &/or Agave syrup.  

We use olive oil on salads every day and add a little to  cooked vegetables and sauces (when we have sauces).  I probably get one - two Tablespoons a day, but will really need to be creative to work more into my meals.  I am really not a person for cooking with butter, grease or oils...I have always preferred grilled or baked and put the least amount of butter on bread/toast that I can possibly manage to carefully spread on it.  I'll have to give this some really deep thought...this will be a BIG challenge for me - LOL!  

I guess if I can learn to love avocados, I can learn to love olive oil...

Winthrop, WA

Page 67 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 65 66 67 68 69 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use