Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 61 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 59 60 61 62 63 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 8:27 AM

Debbie one of by good friends had back surgery and has never looked back since.  I know that PT was the only thing keeping her within a manageable level of pain until her surgery. Don't think of being off as a drawback but rather as a new beginning.  This is when you will learn to move as to not hurt your back.  If you have the opportunity try the physio therapy. I'm certain that you will find relief and it will help you wait until you can get your surgery.  Take care of your body....you only get one of!

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 8:29 AM

Way to go Patti. You are going in the right direction, towards a healthier more energetic you!

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 8:37 AM

Marie I think that if you feel you are going to binge, I would put a portion of what you crave in a dish or ziplock. When the urge to eat hits, tell yourself that this is your treat. Maybe telling yourself that you will finish this block and then see if you still want to eat, or go walk around the house, drink water, write to us here or pm me or any other one. Anything that helps... I hope you will have a good day for you.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 8:41 AM

I weighed in today as I might be going out for dinner and a movie tonight.  

Great news! As I'm finally feeling better, I walked with my dog for an hour yesterday. And I lost two pounds this week. I think that is due more to me being sick than being active but for now, I'll take any weight loss as good news!!!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:11 AM

Angele, so glad your feeling better, great job on the weight loss

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,592
Points 26,760
Debbie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:13 AM

Thank you all for your helpful hints and encouraging words.  I'm really in pain today.  started PT on Fri and hurt more than I did before.  both legs are hurting and stiff when I get up.  trying not to sit longer than 10 minutes but not always time conscious.  calculated my leave yesterday and could almost do it as early as end of May, it will take all my sick leave and AVL, which I hate to do but may not have a choice. 

Times like these makes you wish you had been wiser with choices of taking off - not that I took off frivolousy, just had major back surgery in 2007  - out for 10 weeks, then in 2011, when I broke my foot and tore rotator cuff and had 2 surgeries, that took 5 weeks of SL.  Then last year, the library system changed some leave policies and we no longer could use Doctor/Dental for appts (didn't count against our time - was free time in essence) we had to use our SL instead and also cut SL from 10 hours a month to 8.  Mind you, I'm not complaining just telling the facts, with commentary! 

But I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  DH can retire from his state job when he's been there 7 years, which will be 4.5 years from now.  I'm retiring same time he does, no matter what.  He's 22 months older than me but because of his military time my SS check will be more.  I will be with library system 18 years in Sept and full-time 17 years in December.  He'll be 66 then and I'll be 64.  I can hear retirement calling my name every day. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,592
Points 26,760
Debbie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:27 AM

so, today had a salad for lunch and oatmeal for breakfast. ate Special K bar for dessert - chocolate drizzle, yum! Out! you 2 lbs, OUT!!

well, it worked!  I was down 1/2 lbs this morning, going to lose it yet! 

need to get on treadmill tonight but today we are celebrating my oldest daughter's 40th birthday yesterday.  Can't believe it has been 40 years since she was born.  Gosh, lived in Biloxi, MS then and have lived in Germany (3 yrs), Montana(4 yrs), Nebraska (2 yrs), New Mexico (4 yrs) and here in Oklahoma City since 1986.  Lived in 14 houses since then and added 2 more children and now 7 grandchildren, and 1 DSIL and 1 DDIL.  have had 7 dogs and 2 cats as pets. 

wow!  first time I ever put that on paper, sounds like I've lived a full life, been places - Paris, Bermuda, on a cruise to Jamaica, Montego Bay and Cancun, Guam, Germany, San Diego, Rocky Mountains, Royal Gorge, Grand Canyon, Key West, Canada, Yellowstone Park and Glacier National park.  I've seen the space shuttle from a distance and been to Washington DC a couple of times.  Hey, I've been around! 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,592
Points 26,760
Debbie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:29 AM

Angele - physio therapy?  did you mean physical theraphy or is this something new?  I'm interested in hearing more. 

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:01 AM

Thanks Leslie, but I feel myself slipping, could you catch me pweeze???

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:03 AM

Thanks Angele, great ideas, I'll try.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:05 AM

Good for you Angele, I'd take the two pounds no matter what also.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:10 AM

Marie:
 I started this weight loss challenge back in mid December and as of last Monday lost 15 lbs.  Tomorrow will be another story, since I've eaten out a couple of times and I'm getting a little depressed with this weather.  I don't think I can make it out today because of it and I'm afraid I'm in for a binge if I stay in.  Any words of encouragement is appreciated.  HELP!

Marie, WOW!  That is Fantastic!!!  Double fantastic!  

Its probably the lack of exercise and light that is making you depressed.  Do you have an Ott light?  It's not an official "solar" light, but I think it does help (plus it's quilting therapy too...lol).  Get some of that light directly on your face, hands, and arms.  Also, whenever you think of binging, get up and walk around your house for 5 minutes, then drink a glass of water...then, if you still want it, eat that "little bite" of temptation food that Angele suggested you set aside.  (That was a great idea Angele!) 

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:15 AM

Debbie, you've had a rough time of it, stay well and keep on losing.  Your 1/2 lb. is good.  

WOW, you've certainly gotten around, can't believe how many places you've been.  Very lucky you are to have seen so much in your life.  At my age, I've only lived in three houses in the same area, my childhood home, then moved a couple of streets down when I got married, and my current home where I bought up my family.  BORING !!!!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 10:23 AM

Donna B:
Its probably the lack of exercise and light that is making you depressed

It probably is, Donna, along with the fact it's snowing again.  ENOUGH!  I do have an Ott light and I will try that today.  I am craving candy but I don't have any in the house.  When I get like this there's no method to my madness.  I just eat anything and everything in sight, it doesn't matter what.  I don't keep goodies in the house when I'm trying to eat sensibly so no way out of that one.  You girls make me want to try so I'll do my best and report in tomorrow when I weigh in.  Love you guys for caring.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,608
Points 247,132
Thea replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 12:03 PM

I haven't posted in this weight loss challenge as when I try to diet it doesn't work and my weight fluxuates hourly during any given day... I can be down and up 5 lbs in one day - never understood it but it happens...

But what I wanted to say - is I bought several books years and years ago when I first got diagnosed with FMS and RA and osteoporosis... they were books by Dr Barry Sears about the zone diet.  What I remember most from these books is cravings - when you are craving certain things your body is in need of something.

I learned that when I crave Chocolate my body actually needs magnesium in my diet and I would take magnesium supplements and the craving for that chocolate bar would go away.  

I have had hypoglycemia since I was a teenager so have always had to eat small meals through out the day - so I never sat down and ate those 3 meals a day - I would eat when I needed to eat - and I learned early on about the green vegetables and what they do for your diet - so I was never over weight - I was alway a skinny legged bean pole which is what I was called... that is until I turned 40 and then got diagnosed with all these illnesses - then the weight just started piling on.  I was put on Remicade and a bunch of other drugs and I would see my dr every 6 weeks - and every 6 weeks I would gain 1.5 lbs.  I hadn't changed my diet - not a lick but the weight just kept coming.

I got frustrated and depressed... due to my RA and FMs I wasn't able to exercise like I had been doing - so thought maybe this was part of the problem but I wasn't taking in 1000 calories a day so why was I gaining... I learned about the starvation to our systems and how not taking in enough calories will cause our bodies to hold on to the little that we take in and so that was a problem...

So I started really paying attention to every thing I ate and started learning what caused weight gain - how I could regulate my diet...

Let me tell you nothing worked... I was so frustrated... i was still gaining 1.5 lbs every 6 weeks... The last time I got on the scale with this weight gain I couldn't even look and hid my eyes - I only knew that I had gone above 210... that was when my doctor problems started and since that is another story I won't go into it here... but

after 3 years off all the biologic medications and the anti inflammatoies, the anti depressants and some muscle relaxers and pain meds that were questionable as to whether they did anything... I started losing weight... this last year I have lost over 50 lbs and am coming close to the 60 lbs mark...

Yes, I am still over weight and want to lose another 20 lbs to get to where I will be happy ... but what I am telling you is that there are reasons that we have these cravings - and Mary if you are craving candy - what kind of candy are you craving... if it is sugar candy - try eating foods that produce sugar in your system but work at the same time using up calories - you will be amazed.

I recommend anyone trying to get a better diet and understanding what the foods they eat do for them buy the Dr Barry Sears books - there isn't any one specific book of his that I remember telling me the knowledge that I needed to understand but they all helped.  And some of it I threw out and didn't put a lot of stock in - but I do know that when he talked about the cravings and the nutrients that our bodies needed that this resonated with me...It made sense...

I can't do a lot of exercise to lose weight because of my RA and OA and degenerative disc disease - I have a problem with bones breaking from just walking - so I have big difficulties - but I can do things in my house - like getting up from my sewing table and walking the 5 feet over to use my iron - rather then set it up next to my machine... you would be amazed at how many steps you can take in a day by doing this - also - get up to do your cutting - these little things do help...

Okay - I went on and on - and my weight loss now can probably be contributed to the stress my Mom has brought into my life and I think the fact that I  have the drugs out of my system and my metaboism is going back to normal... But for those who don't have my unique problems I do recommend learning about the foods that you eat - it is amazing what different ones do!

Page 61 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 59 60 61 62 63 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use