Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 51 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 5:30 AM

Brandy, your doing wonderful,  I use to lift weights alot i loved it, might have to get back into it.

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 5:33 AM

Donna,   i find this thread is keeping very motivated, so you will keep seeing me here lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 5:36 AM

One thing i am also trying to make myself do for a better me is getting more sleep.   I average about 4 or 5 hours a night,,    I don't know if i will ever get to 8 hours but i am trying to make myself go to bed earlier,  but i struggle going to sleep

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Donna B:

Some have had great results in these first few weeks, while others are struggling to get the scales moving downward (including me).  Those of us with a few years (sigh) behind us can remember when it was easy to shed 10 #'s in a month, but those days may be far behind us.  We need to take things slower and it will take us longer to achieve the same results, but it is NOT impossible...if we stick to it.  This just proves that we are not all the same. But, I will bet that all of us will hit plateaus during the year, and will need support and cheering on...so all of us need to be here for each other and to keep our own motivation strong.  We all want to live healthier lives and that is why this thread was started.  For our health and well-being we do need to do this...and NOW is the best time to start!

Donna, you said it all right here! If you are having a tough time with seeing a loss on the scale, loved ones, I beg you to take a moment to take stock of how you feel physically. Does your body feel better after moving and eating a healthier diet? That is the pay off, ultimately! Having your doc look at you and say keep going...that is the pay off!! Not some silly little number on a machine that has no idea who that truly wonderful and hard working individual is standing on it is.

So in waking up this morning, my legs are not as sore as I expected. I wrote all of my weights down so that next time I can push harder. I don't want to cripple myself, but I am looking for a specific burn and I just didn't get what I was hoping for. Oh well, today is a new opportunity to keep swimming forward! 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Leslie, i hope I can motivate you to start lifting again!! It feels amazing!! 

Leslie :

One thing i am also trying to make myself do for a better me is getting more sleep.   I average about 4 or 5 hours a night,,    I don't know if i will ever get to 8 hours but i am trying to make myself go to bed earlier,  but i struggle going to sleep

I totally understand the sleeping bit. I average 6 hours but want more. Occasionally I will get 8-10 hours, but then I wake up with hips that hurt. I need a new bed but the finances aren't there. Will have to start saving up. Would love to know what waking up relatively pain free on a regular basis would feel like :) 

love and hugs to you all. Time to get this day started!

****edited because I credited Donna for something Leslie said!! Sorry ladies!****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,398
Points 175,538
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 11:45 AM

I lost another 2.2 lbs. this week but only got two 10 min. walks in.  One better than last week, I'll keep trying.  Haven't been on much the last two days so congrats to those of you who are still trying for a healthier you.  It's tuff but it's worth it.  GO TEAM!!!!!!!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 7:14 PM

Marie, you are doing great

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,282
Points 28,975
Agnes replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 7:35 PM

I always feel so much better when I can walk outdoors. This morning I walked to do my shopping, about 25 minutes and passed around a few much younger people. The fact that I can still get up that steam and keep it going makes me feel good. I still felt good after the shopping and I walked back as well, this time dragging about 20 lbs in my cart behind me. I broke down and bought my second sewing machine so that I can piece without interrupting the current machine when it is all set up for quilting. 

The eating isn't faring quite as well so the scales are currently kicked under the cabinet. I will try to just keep cutting down portion sizes, a bit at a time.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:06 PM

Marie:

I lost another 2.2 lbs. this week but only got two 10 min. walks in.  One better than last week, I'll keep trying.  Haven't been on much the last two days so congrats to those of you who are still trying for a healthier you.  It's tuff but it's worth it.  GO TEAM!!!!!!!

Marie, you are doing something right...so keep it up!  But do keep trying to add in those minutes walking...or moving in some way...how about dancing while your putting the dishes away out of the dishwasher???  It can all add up you know!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:11 PM

Agnes:
I always feel so much better when I can walk outdoors. This morning I walked to do my shopping, about 25 minutes and passed around a few much younger people.

Good for you Agnes.  There are a group of "girls" here in the valley that call themselves the "GreyBirds" (like JayBirds, but with grey hair).  They are all over 70 and they pass a lot of much younger people on the trails...LOL!  Can you push your grocery cart in front of you instead of dragging it?  That would be better for you ergonomically.

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705
Michelle replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:28 AM

Anges! Good for you. I just did an hour of Zumba and feel really good. Now off to quilt for the rest of the day. At least my fitbit says I did 6250 steps at Zumba. Trying to eat portion control today. That seems to be the trick. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 665
Points 12,705
Michelle replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:31 AM

This eating small portions and exercising seems to be the trick. Someone should have told us that!?  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,282
Points 28,975
Agnes replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:55 PM

Donna B:
 Can you push your grocery cart in front of you instead of dragging it?  That would be better for you ergonomically.

In summer I alternate but in winter and the snow covered sidewalks pushing it is far more hazardous than pulling it. I have experienced a serious topple because the cart  stopped dead in its track on frozen chunks of ice and snow that I hadn't noticed ahead. Also, because of shoulder problems a regular exercise is to stretch my arms behind me in an open door so I make efforts to alternate arms and sometimes pull with both together.

I had more than a workout with my walking yesterday, far more than the day before. Then this morning I walked over half hour and we are in a cold freeze again. It was -41 with wind chill,  same difference C or F.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,282
Points 28,975
Agnes replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:58 PM

Michelle:

This eating small portions and exercising seems to be the trick. Someone should have told us that!?  

I know this is the ticket. That's how I lost 50 lbs nearly 10 years ago and had kept it off until this fall when medicines threw me off. That was besides other stress though I had reached the point where I generally went off for food rather than use it for comfort. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 11:23 AM

ONE MONTH/30 DAY REPORTING:

I'll be the first to start off  (as sad as my report may be, it is still a little progress):

Weight Loss:  2.4 #

Inches Loss:  2.625 Total Inches (Neck, Waist and Hips combined)  

I don't know what I was thinking, but didn't measure my thighs and calves on Jan 1, so don't have a comparison for those. But, I have measured those areas today and will be able to include progress on my "thunder thighs" on March 1...LOL! (I do too know why, those  were the defaults on MyFitnessPal, and being half-sick that day, I wasn't thinking too clearly.)

I did have a very slow start on this program as I had a nasty upper respiratory thing going on the first two weeks of January and even though I was watching my diet and exercising as I felt able, I did not even lose one-tenth of a pound.  So, actually my 2.4 # loss was really in the last 16 days of January...which is pretty much on my target loss of one pound per week.  So, if I can keep that up, I will be happy.

With the exercise I am doing, I eat plenty of protein every day and do not feel hungry at all.  My biggest challenge is trying to cut down on the amount of sugar I am consuming from processed foods.    If you haven't already, start reading those labels...not just the calories, but the sugar content!!!  You will be amazed... 

I have not had one piece of candy or any ice cream since Jan 1, but I do plan on having a small treat as a reward when I reach each FIVE POUND LOSS.  That will be a good incentive for me...LOL!

Now, I look forward to seeing how all of you are doing...

Winthrop, WA

Page 51 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use