Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 44 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 42 43 44 45 46 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 1:06 PM

Pat's story of her friend is reminding me that my DS's current situation may be a lesson for many also.

DS#1 is 59 yo, basically inactive, over-weight (technically obese)  and has avoided doctors as much as possible for years. With her weight issues, she has had ankle problems (torn ligaments, etc) many times, but with rest they have healed.  My other 2 sisters (younger, who are both diabetic) and I (who is not) have suspected for years that DS#1 is also diabetic, but she refused to see a doctor to confirm.

Last summer two things happened:  1) She developed sciatic nerve pain in her left leg, and 2) She developed neuropathy (loss of feeling and in her case control) in both feet.  By October when the sciatic pain was clearly not going away on its own and she needed a walker even to move around in the house, she agreed to see a doctor.  Diabetes was confirmed, MRI's have ruled out any pressure on the sciatic nerve in the spinal column.   The final diagnosis: diabetic neuropathy and nerve damage.  They are now talking wheel chair!  And, that is just the beginning of the diabetic slide for her...  ( I only say that because of the years with her diabetes being uncontrolled, I am expecting there is a lot of damage that will be coming to light in the future.)

I pray that all of you will take care of your health, see your doctor regularly, pay attention to his/her advise, exercise, and at the very least, keep your weight and blood sugar levels under control.  

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:32 PM

Donna B:
I pray that all of you will take care of your health, see your doctor regularly, pay attention to his/her advise, exercise, and at the very least, keep your weight and blood sugar levels under control.  

Well, got my labs back today and my glucose is down to 109.  Lowest it's been in about 3-4 years.  Usually 110, and 6 months ago 115.  So losing weight and exercise is what I need to focus on.  By next blood test I want it under 100 and I want to keep it there.  It was the only bad lab.  My cholesterol is 161.  They did not break it down this time, but my balance between HDL and LDL has always been good.

And I am now 4.8 pounds less than when I started 3 weeks ago. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 9:13 PM

Patti, great news keep up the good work

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 9:29 PM

Patti:

Well, got my labs back today and my glucose is down to 109.  Lowest it's been in about 3-4 years.  Usually 110, and 6 months ago 115.  So losing weight and exercise is what I need to focus on.  By next blood test I want it under 100 and I want to keep it there.  It was the only bad lab.  My cholesterol is 161.  They did not break it down this time, but my balance between HDL and LDL has always been good.

And I am now 4.8 pounds less than when I started 3 weeks ago.

Good Job Patti... your making progress!  

Have you tried MyFitnessPal.com?  I am really liking it!  I've been using it since the first of the month, and it is making me much more aware of what I am eating!  

The default daily food menu doesn't monitor sugar intake (just Calories, Carbs, Fats, Proteins), so this morning I added that column...and what a surprise that was.  My sugar intake for today is 50% greater than what it should be...oops....need to pay attention to that - especially on days I don't exercise!  I will have to add that most of that was from fresh mandarin oranges, so at least it wasn't candy, but still if I want to reduce sugar intake...

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 9:30 PM

Great news, Patti! 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Patti - great news!! Keep up the awesome work!
Donna, that is so hard, but you are doing an awesome thing by being there for her. When my grandma passed away, she was 5' 4" and weighed 400 lbs. that scares me. She was diabetic and was on a pace maker. 
I will finally post my stats, though they don't make me happy. I am 5'9" and weigh 286 lbs. down from 290. This is the most I have weighed outside of being pregnant (I stopped looking at my pregnancy weight when I hit 300 lbs. I got pregnant at 265). I have a large bone structure, so I can carry it well, but my joints are starting to really not appreciate it. I LOVE playing sand volleyball, but I wasn't able to last year because of my weight - when I quit smoking last January, the pounds sprinted back and I pretty much gave up. I decided that a year was a long enough pity party and it is time to take my life back. 
I have seen my trainer a couple of times this week. I asked her how many times a week I should be lifting and she said 3 and doing cardio the rest of the days I go to the gym. Her goal for me is to drop my BMI by 10% in the next 2 months. I know it is possible with proper diet, lifting and exercising, but that scares me because I always think "what if I can't/don't?" Ultimately the response to that is "Keep moving forward! That is what you do!" 
So that is what I am going to keep doing. This month my goal is to rack up 50 miles on the elliptical(thank you tendinitis and bone spurs in my right knee for keeping me from the treadmill). Currently I am at 36.25 miles. Next month two coworkers and I are all throwing $5 into an envelope and seeing who can cover the most miles. Winner takes all. :). Gives good incentive to kick tail. 
So that is me. Here is a picture of me at one of my best friends weddings on December 1 st. When I saw this picture I wanted to apologize for ruining her pictures. Seriously my wake up call was when I saw those wedding photos and realized I was on a path of self indulgent, self destruction. This isn't okay. And now I am doing something about it. My trainer wants my goal weight to be 190 since that will put me at around 20% body fat. I am just glad they didn't say 135. Someone would have gotten punched. :) 
<3 Brandy

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 11:21 PM

Brandy, you are a beautiful young woman,  one day at a time is all any of us can do, so when we fall we just have to pick ourselves up and  try again.  we all know what we need to do, and i am finding this thread helps keep me motivated/

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 11:49 PM

Leslie :

Brandy, you are a beautiful young woman,  one day at a time is all any of us can do, so when we fall we just have to pick ourselves up and  try again.  we all know what we need to do, and i am finding this thread helps keep me motivated/

Very well said Leslie...

Brandy, we are with you 100%  and it sounds like you have the perfect coach for you.  There are so many young women today in the same situation as you and I am very proud of you doing your very best to make healthy changes for yourself and your son.  You go girl!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 7:25 AM

Goal weight?  I would be very excited to reach 150.   But I think I will work towards 165 and then see what I want to do. 

The big challenge for me right now is exercise.  Eating less has been easier recently as I just don't feel good if I eat too much.  I have lost my appetite for big meals.   I also have so many aches and pains I didn't have a year ago.  Primarily back and neck pains.  But even that feels better if I move around and exercise.  So today, I start walking again.  My biggest motivation is I want to feel good.  I feel like this may be my last chance to get healthy.  Years of unhealthy living has taken it's toll. 

I blame the stress at work a lot.   But that has greatly improved.  However, starting the next 2 1/2 months I will be one of 4 social workers filling in for a co-worker who is on maternity leave.  So 2 days a week I will be in Spokane.   So, eating the right foods in proper quantities will take some planning.   Not snacking in the car, and eating fresh foods vs prepared foods.  I will need to prepare it myself.   Instead of restaurants, going to the grocery store.  And taking home prepared meals to heat up.  And walking, I must walk every day. 

Brandy, you are a beautiful young woman.  Changes you are making now will give you many additional years of feeling good and healthy.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 7:48 AM

Brandy,  You have the right attitude going for you.   I applaud you for the weight you have lost.  Now I am just the opposite of you regarding the treadmill vs. the elliptical.  I am short.  I have shrunk to 5ft even now, with rather short legs, so I have difficulty doing the elliptical.  It throws me from side to side and I feel that I am walking up steps 2 at a time.  So my go to is the treadmill. 

I believe my leg wound is now healed so  can now formally get my self in the right frame of mind to get busy with my diet.  I kind of gave up and gained 2-3 lbs while sitting on my backside with my leg up.  That is depressing. 

Well, today I am looking forward togetting the book I ordered from Amazon to get to work on my future GGS Quilt.  My DGD was admitted to the hospital on Thur. afternoon as she has had that flu and is unable to control her sugars.  The baby isn't due til the end of Feb or beginning of March.  Hopefully this will get everything back in control.   Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 7:52 AM

Oh my, Donna.  I didn't even think of the sugar content of the clementines I have been eating, but at least that was in place of the wonderfult chocolate chunk cookies that my sn made LOL   Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 8:14 AM

Brandy - you can do this, girl!   I believe in you.  and you are beautiful!

Donna - that is so admirable what you are doing for your friend.  You will be rewarded one day for your selflessness and kindness. 

Everyone is doing so well and ya'll don't know how much it helps to read your stories and comments.  You take the time to be encouraging to someone you have never met, in person.  Gosh, the power of social media is sometimes overwhelming to this humble girl.  And I've been on FB but the attitude there is nothing compared to the positive and encouraging attitude from all those ladies on QCA.  a common like makes us all friends instantly and that is so great!

Ya'll make me weep with happiness!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,399
Points 45,145

Patti, what great news. Good labs are always a morale booster. Doona, I do hope that your sister will be able to change her lifestyle and recover the mobility that she has lost. Facing the damage that we have done to ourselves is never easy. That is why I posted about my friend. She is still with us but we don't expect her to last much longer.

I have had diabetes for at least 15 years and was in denial for a few more. Because of my reluctance to admit my condition I ended up with retinopathy and have had 12 laser eye surgeries. I had a heart attack 2 years ago and had a quadruple by-pass. So even without my friend's example I know I need to do more. I have lost some weight, but need to lose more. I have slacked off on my exercise as well. Once I get back home I will do my best to stay on the straight and narrow. Friends and church members are bringing in food and most of it is unhealthy. I am eating some salads and just doing what I can do. I dpm't think a few more days will matter in the long run. I am looking forward to hopping on my treadmill and eating veggies again

Best wishes to all. Must run  the minister is here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 10:55 AM

Donna B:

Good for you Marie, but remember to increase your time slowly.  

How long have you been doing 6 minutes every day?  If its been a week or longer and you're feeling good after your walk, then you are ready to move it up to 8 or 10 minutes...your choice.  Then do that time consistently for at least another week before you bump it up again.  But, if you are currently exhausted after the 6 minutes, I would suggest waiting another week before you increase the time...just keep doing the 6 minutes every day until your body says you are ready to bump it up.  

Remember, we don't all dance to the same drummer...and sometimes slow and steady wins the race!

BTW, how are the balance exercises going?

Mary would tell you..."Don't you dare try to run up that hill - you will get there faster walking!"

Donna, thanks for your support in my journey to better health.  Unfortunately, I haven't walked this week at all.  My EXCUSE is that I've been busy planning and shopping and sewing for a baby shower, that will happen tomorrow, for my soon to be GGS and I've just been too tired to follow through on my promise to myself to walk.  That being said, I have stuck to the food plan and have lost another 1.5 lbs.  No promises this week because I always break promises to myself but seldom to others.  I will give it my best effort next week, I did feel so much better after that short walk, endorphins'  I guess.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,036
Points 169,793
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 10:57 AM

Good for you Linda, keep up the great work.

Millbury, MA

Page 44 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 42 43 44 45 46 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use