Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 38 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 36 37 38 39 40 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:04 PM

Marie

I think that is an excellent idea.   Most moms have to work to provide for their family.  But our society didn't see the same violence that we see now when families had a Mom at home taking care of their children.  It does make a difference when we rely on daycare facilities to "raise" our children.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:21 PM

Marie:
I've had a dream for a long time, which I've shared with a chosen few, now I'm going to share it with you. How do I put this simply??  Hmmm  Here goes.  The government should pay women salaries to stay home and raise their children and keep a home for their families.  Simple enough?

Don't apologize Marie, it's not a *Bad* idea at all...and I think most mothers are torn when they have to leave their infants and return to work.  As I supervisor, I had many young moms return to work for a few weeks (after family leave) and then quit...the pull to stay at home with that baby was just too great and they were lucky enough to figure out a way financially to do it.

BUT, think about the other side of this issue...  What would the tax rate need to be to support a program like this?  What would it take to get Congress to sign a bill to pay for it and would both/all political parties support it (not)?  Unfortunately, I doubt it would ever happen in the USA!  

I watched a documentary a few years ago that some of the Scandinavian countries (with very high tax rates) do have programs to subsidize young mothers to stay at home with their children for the first few years of life.  (Don't remember the specifics, or even specifically which countries...Sweden comes to mind, but not sure...)

It is a wonderful idea, but...

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:45 PM

I love desserts! Sugars are soooooo bad and so is flour!!! However, my chiropractor who has helped me with my eating habits (maximized Living) says you can cheat once in awhile....it starts out like a reward but later  it gets to where it is not as important...when I do chocolate I get the DARK chocolate... I had a bite of A regular milk chocolate bar a couple of months ago and had to spit it out....now I say this as I just ate a chocolate chip cookie that I baked...I have craved a crispy chocolate chip cookie since before Christmas!! I made small ones and have eaten a total of 3!!!! I'm done and I'm satisfied....the others will be donated along with all the other bad goodies we received as gifts..  I, too enjoyed the article...  It was a very good article and pretty close to what I have been TRYING to practice.... I am not perfect but have certainly changed my views..and my eating habits...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:46 PM

Nana:

Marie

I think that is an excellent idea.   Most moms have to work to provide for their family.  But our society didn't see the same violence that we see now when families had a Mom at home taking care of their children.  It does make a difference when we rely on daycare facilities to "raise" our children.

Thanks nana, appreciate it.  Haven't felt a brick yet but.........

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:57 PM

Donna B:
BUT, think about the other side of this issue...  What would the tax rate need to be to support a program like this?  What would it take to get Congress to sign a bill to pay for it and would both/all political parties support it (not)?  Unfortunately, I doubt it would ever happen in the USA!

Thanks for agreeing it is a good idea, Donna.  I know it's next to impossible to get everyone on the same page but I think it's doable if they work at it.  As for money, look at all the programs that could be dropped because mom is home taking care of her own family.  I don't have any of the answers to accomplish this, it's just a dream of mine I thought I'd share.  I believe it can happen one day, not in my lifetime sad to say.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 3:03 PM

SoBuzy:
I, too enjoyed the article...  It was a very good article and pretty close to what I have been TRYING to practice.... I am not perfect but have certainly changed my views..and my eating habits

SoBuzy, that's a positive change, that's a good thing.  This is what we are all trying to accomplish, change, to live a happier, healthier life.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,449
Points 47,720
Angele replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 8:10 PM

Marie, your idea is not bad at all. If you think that in many countries there is a member of the family who stays home with young kids be it a parent, Mom or Dad, or a grand parent. In Canada, we can get a maternity "pay"  through employment insurance for the first year of life. It can be taken either by Mom or Dad or a combination for 52 weeks.  It is a good program, not perfect but  quite good.  Your dream is a wonderful dream.  I think the fear for many women would be to know if there will still be a job for them when they have been gone from the workforce for a year or more.. . I wish your dream could come true for anyone who would want to stay home with our babies who will be the adults of tomorrow.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,449
Points 47,720
Angele replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 8:17 PM

I really enjoyed the article..  I too am working on making littles changes to my eating habits. Eat more fruits and vegetables, less bread, more cereals.

congratulations to all who have lost weight so far!  Monday is my weigh in day and I'm trying very hard not to cheat.  I think I had a good week.  Going back to work, I have less time to cook, but I'm trying to plan better.  Trying to add my walks every day is my goal for next week.  So we'll see what will happen... :-)

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 8:47 PM

Marie, i would have loved to stay home and raise my girls

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:27 PM

Angele, thanks for that info on Canada's plan.  Not quite my dream but a good step in the right direction.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:37 PM

Leslie, I was fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom.  Although that was many moons ago there was still a lot of moms who had to work to get by.  By the time your generation had children, it was next to impossible to be a stay at home mom, sad.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 9:18 AM

Jeanine:

Three people brought donuts to work today.  I'm not even tempted!  I have lost 4.8 pounds so far.  My pants are starting to fit better...or at least I can breathe AND wear pants at the same time. 

Great Job Jeanine!!!

You inspire me.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 11:01 AM

The other benefit in Canada is that if you didn't contribute to the Canada Pension Plan in the years that your children were pre-school they give you credit when calculating your pension upon retirement. The rest is based on actual contributions.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 11:40 AM

Agnes:

The other benefit in Canada is that if you didn't contribute to the Canada Pension Plan in the years that your children were pre-school they give you credit when calculating your pension upon retirement. The rest is based on actual contributions.

Now I hadn't heard that one before and it is a GREAT idea!  

I, like Marie, was lucky enough to stay at home when my children were pre-schoolers and I do think it is best for the children and society.  Unfortunately, in today's economy, it's very difficult to raise a family on an average wage single income.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 12:26 PM

Donna B--It is not a wide known fact even to Canadians but is on the form when you apply for the pension.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Page 38 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 36 37 38 39 40 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use