Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 33 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 31 32 33 34 35 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:21 AM

So what things have you all done to help you not eat what you shouldn't? 

Evening is the hardest time for me to avoid over eating.  We generally have healthy dinners, but the problem has been quantity.  And I tend to want to nibble as I prepare dinner.  So dinner is actually kind of like my second dinner.

So as I prepare dinner, I am trying to have some kind of snack I can reach for, such as celery so I can avoid more easily the higher calorie tidbits.  Higher calorie like a chunk of the cheese I am grating.

I am dishing up smaller proportions and to avoid seconds, I get up when I am done and start cleaning dishes.  My husband eats more slowly and if I stay at the table with him, I'll want seconds.  Our kitchen is open to the dining area, so we are still able to converse. 

And if we have something good, like cookies, or other snack.  I make him hide them.  And he has gotten pretty good at hiding them.

One way to decrease a behavior, is to develop a "competing behavior."  I don't eat while I am sewing.  So I sew more. 

Now I need to be more consistent about exercise, and stop eating in front of the computer.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 690
Hcim55 replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:44 AM

Hi Sabrina, thank you for your post. This morning when I weighed I was fighting tears and now feel miserable. For Xmas I asked my husband for a fitbit one, which he got for me. I religiously walk three miles a day and meet my 10k steps every day. My walk includes three hills. average 12 flights for stairs. Some days i also do twenty min of elyptical.I am watching my calorie in take and keeping under 1800cals. My weight fluctuates between 166 and 167 and according to chart should weigh 130. I would be happy to lose 15lbs. I have been following this routine since Xmas. I have not lost an ounce! Before this I had lost 100lbs. And now I am getting so sad unhappy and frustrated, really frustrated. Reading your post made me feel a little better :). Thank you!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,390
Points 23,155
Debbie replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:48 AM

Viki- sounds like life really hit on you but your attitude is so postitve I know you can achieve.  It only takes all of us offering support and we're here to do that.  You can do it!!

I'm Debbie - will be 60 this year and my goal is to lose 30 lbs by my birthday in May.  I don't have all you've got but enough to make me say - ENOUGH!!! that's what it takes and I hear you saying it.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 690
Hcim55 replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:50 AM

Patty.......it's not in the house....lol. If it was and it was hidden I would clean every inch of my home to find it...... If my husband wants un healthy things he eats it outside of the house....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:50 AM

Hcim55, check with your doctor to see is any of the medications you are on cause weight gain.  Many of the newer meds, while very effective, do cause weight gain.  There may be something else you can take.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:57 AM

Donna, thanks for asking that! My dr. has approved things I can do without a lot of pain.  Swimming is great, but that's my summer "thing".  I can do my recumbent bike, but the treadmill is difficult due to my broken toe.  I try to do housework and go up and down the stairs a lot more during the day.  I could easily stay on the first floor and spend my day there, but I try to remind myself to go to the basement and change laundry around or go upstairs and fold laundry or make the beds. Food preparation is a tough thing for me b/c by the end of the day, I'm pretty exhausted. I've used the crock pot here and there.  I'm a vegetarian, so I make a type of chili/veggie soup the whole family likes.  But, there's only so much of that you can eat in a week! :)

Also, I'm happy to announce that I made myself a sandwich and measured the PB & J out with a tablespoon!  I even measured my cream for my coffee.  I use the Sparkpeople.com app and the Myfitnesspal.com app to track my food, but I usually get to breakfast and stop.  I kind of forget to do it the rest of the day.  I know I should, but I get busy and forget.  Guess I need to work on that!

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!  Good luck to all!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,468
Points 50,020
Ginny replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:01 AM

Vicki, Welcome to our group.  I haven't started the challenge yet either. I am waiting to get a leg wound healed.  But we all have to start somewhere.  I am watching what I eat, but it would be much easier if my son hadn't baked his special choc chunk cookies.  Darn loveable man child.     Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 375

Count me in!  I have 9 month old twin boys... and I've finally been able to squeeze in some type of workout either while they nap or while they are playing.  My goal is to drop 20 lbs by the summer.  Even though my pants (the ones I bought after I had the boys) slide right off my hips, the scale hasn't budged!  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:04 AM

Viki:

Donna, thanks for asking that! My dr. has approved things I can do without a lot of pain.  Swimming is great, but that's my summer "thing".  I can do my recumbent bike, but the treadmill is difficult due to my broken toe.  I try to do housework and go up and down the stairs a lot more during the day.  I could easily stay on the first floor and spend my day there, but I try to remind myself to go to the basement and change laundry around or go upstairs and fold laundry or make the beds. Food preparation is a tough thing for me b/c by the end of the day, I'm pretty exhausted. I've used the crock pot here and there.  I'm a vegetarian, so I make a type of chili/veggie soup the whole family likes.  But, there's only so much of that you can eat in a week! :)

Also, I'm happy to announce that I made myself a sandwich and measured the PB & J out with a tablespoon!  I even measured my cream for my coffee.  I use the Sparkpeople.com app and the Myfitnesspal.com app to track my food, but I usually get to breakfast and stop.  I kind of forget to do it the rest of the day.  I know I should, but I get busy and forget.  Guess I need to work on that!

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!  Good luck to all!!!

Vicki, I work with a senior exercise group and have several that are limited in their mobility and time they can exercise standing.  You might try chair walk exercises.  Have you ever seen those?  I think I described them in a previous post here, so you might want to scroll back to see if you find them in one of my previous posts.  Also, I did recently do an update with access to a free DVD from the Natl Institute on Aging.  You can get this DVD whether you are aged or not!  You might find some of the exercises in there to be helpful for you.  Also, the Sit and be Fit exercise program would be good - at least as a starter - for you.  (If you need more info, pm me, and I will give you some pointers.) Try to start with 3-5 minutes of exercise at one time per day for a week, then slowly increase the length of time you are exercising. (If your medical conditions dictate, drop back for a week, and then try again to increase the next week).  You may have to take it a little slower, but there is no reason you cannot be successful along with all of us!

I'm using myfitnesspal and after a few days I am hooked...I really like it...and it is definitely keeping me more aware of what passes my lips (and goes straight to my hips...lol).  Keep at it, and you will get in the habit.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:09 AM

Hcim55:

Hi Sabrina, thank you for your post. This morning when I weighed I was fighting tears and now feel miserable. For Xmas I asked my husband for a fitbit one, which he got for me. I religiously walk three miles a day and meet my 10k steps every day. My walk includes three hills. average 12 flights for stairs. Some days i also do twenty min of elyptical.I am watching my calorie in take and keeping under 1800cals. My weight fluctuates between 166 and 167 and according to chart should weigh 130. I would be happy to lose 15lbs. I have been following this routine since Xmas. I have not lost an ounce! Before this I had lost 100lbs. And now I am getting so sad unhappy and frustrated, really frustrated. Reading your post made me feel a little better :). Thank you!

I also wanted to thank Sabrina for mentioning this important topic!  MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT...so, when you are initially losing fat and adding muscle (through exercise) there is an initial period where the muscle tone improvement is going to exceed the fat loss, ie: you will gain wait for a short period of time!  BUT, remember  - MUSCLE MASS BURNS FAT!!!  So, the net result, if you keep at it, will be that you will burn more fat more quickly as you improve your muscle tone!  So, for those of you that are able to exercise vigorously right now, you are improving your muscle tone and may see weight gain, but things will turn around and soon!

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 690
Hcim55 replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:51 PM

Thank you patti..... Not on a single medication

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 690
Hcim55 replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:56 PM

Thank you Donna, I kind of think I am loosing in size ?  Nothing huge just little things .... Like my pant legs are getting a little looser.....hoping it will creep up to my waist. It iis all in my middle. It's crazy. Thinking maybe too many carbs? Although low calorie maybe too many carbs?

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

I just saw your thread on weight loss challenge and would like to join.  Over the past year I have regained 15 of the 30 pounds I lost over 2 years ago on Weight Watchers.  I just haven't been able to get motivated to lose.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the web, have gone through all my old WW material,  and have purchased some books.  For whatever reason yesterday something clicked and I am ready to get started.  My biggest problem is sweets.  I crave sweets all the time but primarily in the evenings.  I found this book called "The Hunger Fix" by Pam Peeke, MD.  It's about food addiction, which I firmly believe I am addicted and the test proves it.  Anyway, it's an interesting read.  I haven't finished the book yet, but it has been helpful in getting my motivation going.  I've also been reading a lot about wheat and how it isn't the wheat I grew up eating because it has been so genetically altered.  I'm also reading that eliminating wheat can help with acid reflux and ulcerative colitis, which I take medication for both as well as belly fat.  Since I really don't want to go back to WW and count points, I've decided to just try eating protein, lots of fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, and cutting out as much wheat and sugar as possible.  I was aware that sugar has been added to processed foods, but I had no idea wheat is being added.  I'll have brown rice, quinoa, or some other grains instead once in a while.    My goal is to try this for at least 2 weeks to see what results I have.  From everything I've read I should see a reduction in my sweet cravings by then.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.  Now, I'm going to my sewing room to quilt to get my mind off of eating something.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957

Patti, my method probably wouldn't work for you, because my DxH is only home every other weekend, he works out of state so i only have to cook for myself,  But on Sunday, I fix what i will eat for the whole week, for lunch and supper, I freeze it in individule containers, that way when i get home from work, i can just pop it in the microwave.  I find if i give myself too many choices, then i over eat.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:45 PM

Hcim55:

Thank you Donna, I kind of think I am loosing in size ?  Nothing huge just little things .... Like my pant legs are getting a little looser.....hoping it will creep up to my waist. It iis all in my middle. It's crazy. Thinking maybe too many carbs? Although low calorie maybe too many carbs?

Why don't you have DH or a close friend take your measurements:  neck, breast, waist, hips, thighs, calf - and write it down with the date and check them again a month from now.  I bet you will see a significant difference.  (Note, It is important to measure at the fullest part of the body each time.  And, just measure one leg -but note which one you are measuring.)  This is a good indication of muscle tone improvement.  Curves Fitness uses this method to demonstrate that their clients are making progress even if the scales are not showing it.  And, the fit of your clothes do not lie!

Winthrop, WA

Page 33 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 31 32 33 34 35 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use