Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 31 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 29 30 31 32 33 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 11:42 AM

Marie:
As for the walking, do as I'm doing, I clock 5 minutes at a time and walk briskly around my house, you don't need to go out if you don't want to.  I am so unfit that I've only been doing 5 minutes a day before I'm winded but that's 5 minutes more than I've done in years.  I took yesterday off but will do again today and every day until I make 7 minutes, etc.

Perfect Marie, the absolutely perfect and right thing for you!  Keep up with that great attitude too!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,281
Points 28,955
Agnes replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:44 PM

I believe in RX for Quilters  by Susan DeLaney Mech, MD she states that walking for six minutes at a time is long enough to fully benefit from it. I can't check it right now but will get the book from the library again. I may have to actually purchase this book as this is the book that covers so many aspects for better bodies, written with quilters in mind. I used a lot of info from this book when I was leading an informal exercise class in our plus 55 building.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,375
Points 175,078
Marie replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 1:16 PM

Thanks Donna.  

BTW, I found that DVD, haven't watched it yet, must put aside some time to do that.  It has exercise for endurance, strength, flexibility and balance.  I ordered it from the place you mentioned and it was free. Thanks for that info. 

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,482
Points 24,725
Debbie replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 5:00 PM

Thanks Donna.

BTW, I found that DVD, haven't watched it yet, must put aside some time to do that. It has exercise for endurance, strength, flexibility and balance. I ordered it from the place you mentioned and it was free. Thanks for that info. Donna and Marie - what DVD was this?  I'm interested in most everything free! 

What DVD?  If it's free and deals with exercise I'm interested! 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 6:48 PM

Brandy, I just read your post from Friday.  Missing your son is tough.  Mine are 30, 28, and 23. They are all working away from home and I so missed them...so I get your pity party. I'm so proud for you to channel all this pent up energy Ina way that is good for you.  You deserve a great pat in on the back! 

Sukochi, I'm with you, I have a friend who would walk with me anytime, yet I choose to not move as much as I should. I am putting everything I eat into my fitness pal. Just being aware of what goes into my mouth has been quite a wake up call.  The most frustrating thing is that I know what to do, I don't know why I'm not doing it!!! I've walked these last three days. Back to work tomorrow. Now I will have to readjust to it all.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 6:55 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Back to work on myself. Little emals all day. Did chiar sitps this a.m. And took a walk this Afternoon. You go, girl!!

WTG Sukochi! I'm so proud of you! This is how you will be able to win.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 7:14 PM

Well, back on track today. Thanks for the words of encouragement! I will weigh myself tomorrow am and post it then.

Marie great beginning!  5 minutes of walking is much better than no walking.  Each minute is a bonus!  A bonus for you! 

So tomorrow is the beginning of a new week.

Congratulations to all who lost, be it 1, 2  or even half of a pound! Every bit is a step toward success.

my goal this week: drink more water and walk, walk, walk!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Thanks Angele! I seriously hope missing him like crazy dissipates as he grows, but so far it has only increased. There is no hope for me. llol

Marie, thank you so much for the encouragement as well! I am trying to throw less and less pity parties (which can turn into full blown formal affairs if I let them) which result in over eating.

today at church one of my friends (and a female pastor that runs marathons!!) encouraged me when I told her I had ellipticaled 8.5 miles in two days. I told her that last year on my son's birthday (which just so happens to be TODAY!!!) I quit smoking. This year God is working in my physical fitness (I am glad He knows how much work He has in front of him!!!). She is definitely an amazing encourager in my life!

anyway, I am going to post in one more topic before I fall into bed tonight. I am thinking I will be on here much more than I originally anticipated. :)

a few pictures from my son's birthday party with part of our small group. His mentor is on the right and one of our other friends is on the left of him. <3 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 10:02 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Do you ever snowshoe?

Funny you should ask this!  We bought 2nd hand snowshoes when we moved here to get around our property in the winter if we needed to, but don't often use them.  We live in the middle of the largest Nordic Cross-Country Ski Area in the United States with 200 Km (120 Miles) of groomed trails...the main reason we moved here. So with that being said, it is hard to resist all those miles and miles of perfectly groomed trails just waiting for us on a beautiful sunny day!  

We have friends who also snowshoe in addition to xc ski, so we are thinking of giving it a try one of these days...but I doubt it will ever be our first choice for winter recreation.  Kicking and gliding is just too much fun...wooo hooo!!!!  We really do love it...

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 10:15 PM

Debbie:

Thanks Donna.

BTW, I found that DVD, haven't watched it yet, must put aside some time to do that. It has exercise for endurance, strength, flexibility and balance. I ordered it from the place you mentioned and it was free. Thanks for that info. Donna and Marie - what DVD was this?  I'm interested in most everything free! 

What DVD?  If it's free and deals with exercise I'm interested! 

Debbie,

I co-teach a senior exercise program called S.A.I.L. (Stay Active and Independent for Life) designed to keep seniors independent and in their homes through balance and strength exercises aimed at falls prevention.   If you scroll back through the posts here you will see several posts I have made with exercises specifically to help those having problems with exercising on their feet and those having balance issues.  I also mentioned two other "at home" DVD's that might be helpful in one post:

The Nat'l Institute on Aging, offers a FREE DVD (available to any US citizen) with low impact, basic exercises designed for seniors or those with mobility issues.  You can order the video here:

http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/go4life-dvd-everyday-exercises-national-institute-aging    (again, this is FREE, your tax dollars at work...use it!!!)

Another good option is the "Sit and Be Fit" television series which is available on DVD and short clips are available on YouTube.com (Go to 'YouTube' and enter "sit and be fit" in their search engine)...there are a bunch of short clips with sample exercises for different types of situations.  Also, check your local PBS television station to see if they are airing this show.  If not, call them and tell them you would like to see them add it to their program line-up.  If you like what you see on YouTube, go to the Sit and Be Fit website where you can purchase their videos. Over 90% of these exercises are done in a sitting position!  We use a lot of these techniques for our seniors who cannot stand or walk for very long.  The Sit and Be Fit Website:  http://www.sitandbefit.org/home

I hope you find this info helpful...  And let me know if you have questions,

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,391
Points 46,980
Angele replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 6:14 AM

Woohoo, even with my dietary digressions, I did lose 2.2 lbs in the last week!  Thank you all for your encouragements. 

Brandy, your son is the only incentive you need to stay healthy. He is so cute!  That is the perfect kick in the pants for you ;-)

well, back at school and the regular wheel I run on :). 

To each of you dear friends, have a great healthy week. Make good food choices. Be active. Be happy.  ((((Hugs))))

Angèle  from NWO

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 6:16 AM

Well, I stepped on the scale this morning ... 230.6, that means I'm down 1.2 pounds. Not as much as I would have liked but, about what I expected. I didn't eat very well this week and I only exercised 1 time. To top it all off my youngest son turned 21 Saturday so, we took him to a comedy club. I ended up drinking 3 beers which, is NO good for dieting. LOL I did manage to make a menu and go to the grocery store this weekend. It should be much easier to eat right. I have it set up to eat 6 times a day. I think doing it this way, there should be no reason to be hungry. I bought healthy snacks and am starting today. My goal this week is 2 pounds. I know I can do that. I just have to get off my behind. :D

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,482
Points 24,725
Debbie replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:10 AM

started reading posts and realized I needed to weigh myself (Mon and Fri) so stepped on the scale and I lost another 3 lbs!!!  so excited, I can do this!  been doing better - watching what I eat, staying away from unhealthy snacks and sweets ; more fruits and vegetables.  So total since I began is 8 lbs.  yeah, can't wait to go to the drs. 

Also, got on treadmill and made it 15 minutes last nite.  need to finish emails and get on again.  I really feel so much better about losing weight this time - have all you guys on here and then a friend at church is encouraging me with texts.  I can do this! 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,375
Points 175,078
Marie replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:07 AM

Good news for me, dear friends, I lost 3.1 lbs. and I made my walk to 6 min. yesterday.  Feeling good!

Congrats to all for your weight losses and successes with your exercising.  Especially, congrats to those who picked themselves up, after a bad meal/day,and got right back on track.  That's very hard to do.  

Good luck to all this next week!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:12 AM

Well, we had company for dinner last night, with apple pie.  So I ate more than I should have on a diet.  but I didn't eat much before that so maybe it averaged out.  On the other hand, it has nearly confirmed that I have acid reflux.  I'd been having pain which is what motivated me to lose weight to begin with.  And I found that when I ate small meals, the pain went away.  Well, back again this morning but not near as bad as last week.  See the doc next week.  Appt that was already scheduled. 

It is easier to diet with consequences coming so soon after not eating right.

Blood tests tomorrow before I go see the Doc.  So I am being a good girl.  I want a normal blood sugar this time.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 31 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 29 30 31 32 33 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use