Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 26 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,131
Points 28,615
Wendy replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:44 PM

Mindy:
well with this last little treasure I haven't been able to get back down.

Mindy,

Having children in your late 30's and early 40's poses a challenge all it's own.  Because the metabolic rate, and the chemicals in a woman's body change during this time frame.  This has been so true with me also. I had my last at 36.  I was skinny skinny up until this point.  We must restart our metabolic rate.  This can be achieved by a low carb diet that is high in protein.  Be sure that you don't have other factors that will prevent you from doing this first.  I have to be careful when doing this because of my hypoglycemia. My carb intake must remain at a steady level.

I have also read the posts about sugar.

It isn't the calories that you should be concerned with, but what it does once it enters the blood stream.

Sugar is the fasted way to shut your metabolism DOWN. If you can do without, you are better off all the way around.

Find natural sweeteners. Stevia is a good one that I would  recommend.   NuNatuals NuStevia white Stevia Powder. You can find it in most health food stores.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,541
Points 25,920
Debbie replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:06 PM

well, I'm in the little people category - only 5' 2.5".  I didn't post a side view, not sure I want to see that image, myself. 

also having a lot of muscle spasms in my back.  scheduled to have injections for the ruptured disc in my lower back,  also have some stenosis.  so Jan 10, I'll get injections there and an occipital nerve block because I keep having headaches. 

Getting old is not for sissies!!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,879
Points 366,977
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:51 PM

Sabrina:
Another sweetener some of you may want to try is stevia. It is a natural sweetener, it's a plant extract, and you can get it plain in liquid form at most health food stores, or grocery stores sell it mixed with another sweetener, a fruit sugar alcohol, to kinda cover the funny aftertaste, called truvia. I like it as a sweetener for tea, but can't get use to the taste in coffee.

I bought some soda sweetened with this stuff and I did not like it one bit. I wrote to the company that made the soda and they sent me one of each flavour they make and asked if I would write reviews. Of all they sent DH and I only liked one.

I'll stick to sugar if I need a sweetener.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,879
Points 366,977
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:51 PM

Bev :
Even though I absolutely HATE posing for pictures I have included my mug shots.

You're a cutie Bev.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Kris, I agree, I don't drink soda, I only drink unsweetened tea, I use very little sugar as is,   so I will just stick with it

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:22 PM

Bev :
This is an exercise they had me do in rehab at the time so I will continue with it.

Yes, this is why I suggested it...very basic, easy to do, and suitable for virtually everyone.

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:38 PM

Agnes:
I would use for walking heel to toe for balance.

This is another good balance exercise that people can do if they find the first exercise too easy or want to supplement it ...but I can make the one-leg stands more challenging too if anyone is ready for that!  

Doing heel/toe walking in the hallway is a good idea for safety, but don't use the walls for stability...only to catch yourself if you need to.  But, is your hallway carpeted?  If so, that makes this exercise much more difficult and may actually throw off your balance. Walking back and forth (heel/toe) next to your kitchen counter on the hard surface floor using your fingertips next to the counter as your stability point would be a better idea (if your hallway is carpeted).

The whole point of this exercise is re-train your body to be stable and support itself once again.  

If you want a full description of heel/toe walking, let me know...

Winthrop, WA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Kris:

I bought some soda sweetened with this stuff and I did not like it one bit. I wrote to the company that made the soda and they sent me one of each flavour they make and asked if I would write reviews. Of all they sent DH and I only liked one.

I'll stick to sugar if I need a sweetener.

Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one that thought Stevia tastes terrible!  One of my coworkers LIVES on that stuff and sings it's praises every chance he gets.  I like sugar and I'll stick to that if I need something sweet.  I like unsweetened tea and I have to crave a soda to actually drink one.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:59 PM

A good exercise to improve ankle strength is toe raises:

Standing:  Slowly, go up on both toes and then slowly lower your heels to the floor - repeat ten times...then do this up/down 10 times as fast as you can.

Sitting:  Sit forward on your chair (with just your toosh on the seat, feet flat on the floor under your knees.  Then slowly, go up on both toes and then slowly lower your heels to the floor - repeat ten times...then do this up/down 10 times as fast as you can.

For both standing and sitting, when I say slow I really mean SSS...LLL...OOO...WWW!  Think about  your heel being at 6 o'clock when on the floor and at 9 o'clock when at its highest point...bring the heel to 7, then 8, and finally to 9, then back to 8, and then 7 and then  return to 6.  To be effective, this needs to be done really slowly...then you can do the fast twitch ones!

Again, for both exercises practice good posture and keep your head up...don't look down at your feet!

For every inch your neck and chin is forward from your shoulders, you are adding 15 #'s of force onto your spine.  So roll those shoulders up and back and getting them centered over your spine, then look forward.  In your home, I bet you know every square inch of the floor...intimately (at least I do) so there shouldn't be anything there to trip you.  Trust your floor and your feet and use the counter(only if you need to)!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:27 PM

Mindy

Just to ease your mind a little regarding Sukochi surgery it didn't involve stapling the actual stomach.  Her surgery was to repair a Hiatal Hernia.  While this surgery does cause eating issues at first the issues usually subside after a few months unlike the issues with gastric bypass.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:46 PM

Ginny:

Ahhh, yes  Donna,  I am very interested in the balance tapes.  Just this morning I went backwards in getting out of the tub.  It is a good thing that the grab bar was at my back, I guess, because it broke my fall and twisted and came undone at one end in breaking my fall.  It was actually like floating backward until I came to the wall.  Absolutely no injury involved and I put the grab bar back in place.   I have noticed lately that I have a tendency to fall backwards easily if I am not touching something solid when I change positions.   Oh, the charms of getting older.  LOL   Ginny 

Ginny, I am so sorry to hear this, but I am very glad your fall didn't result in an injury!  Everyone (at least over 60) should install a grab bar in their tub or shower.  If you don't need it now, you will someday!  They are a great security feature and are well worth the price.  Until you are more stable, you should be sure you have a firm grip on something stable and solid BEFORE you change positions.  It sounds to me like your center of balance is off, but not seeing you in person and working with you, that is just a guess on my part.  I hope you will try some of the balance exercises I am suggesting, but if this continues I would suggest you mention it to your doctor the next time you see him/her.  Perhaps PT would be helpful for you.  In the meantime, please be extra cautious!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 125
Points 1,270
Mindy replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 10:50 PM

Nana:

Mindy

Just to ease your mind a little regarding Sukochi surgery it didn't involve stapling the actual stomach.  Her surgery was to repair a Hiatal Hernia.  While this surgery does cause eating issues at first the issues usually subside after a few months unlike the issues with gastric bypass.

Nana~ Thank you SO much for clearing that up for me! I admit I was a little freaked out that Dr.'s would go so drastic for someone who technically does not have that much weight to lose! That said...lol..if she needs some of my (terrible) cheating techniques I used to slow my weight loss in the begining and that are now BAD habits I'll be happy to share. Proud to say that at dinner I did NOT drink for 20 min before or after eating. Sounds strange but is one of the most important rules for people who've done stomache stapling. It causes the food to stay in your stomach for a longer period, thus making you feel full longer and you resist having "just one more bite" that usually turns into about 4 or 5! That is an easy rule for me to get back into and one I plan to do from now on. I also plan to get back to some of the other important ones as well...I'm terrible about skipping breakfast. Like I said, next week when the kids are all back to school and hopefully I'm feeling better I will get started on the exercising. AND YES...lol, I do remember "sweating to the Oldies" altho I have to admit to giggling at it while my mom did it! I myself enjoyed Jane Fonda's workout with the step bench...still have it around somewhere! haha

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:29 AM

Donna, That is expressly why I want to do these exercises.  I notice that I have really lost a lot of tonr since I have been forced to sit with my leg elevated to help heal this open sore on my leg.  I will be so, so glad when this is finally healed and I can get into an exercise routine.     Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,372
Points 37,380
Linda replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:46 AM

Donna B:

Donna B:
(for those of you with foot issues, I have an alternative at the end, so look below).  

I thought the previous message was getting a bit long and it would be better to put this alternative in another post, so here it is:

Alternative Balance Exercise for people with foot  and/or standing issues:

For these you will need a stable, straight-backed kitchen or dining room chair...preferably on a hard surface floor. Sit in the chair with your "toosh" and back away from the back of the chair ( your thighs and legs should not be on the chair at all).  In other words, you are sitting on the front edge of the chair with only your "toosh" supporting you on the chair.  Now, sit up nice and straight and tall, roll your shoulders up and back and pull your belly button back toward your spine (just like the stand-up version of this exercise).  Your back should not be touching the back of the chair...in fact there should be a gap of several inches there!  Have both feet comfortably together and your ankles directly under your knees so your thighs and forelegs form a 90 degree angle.

Now, hold both arms out to your sides...pretend you are a butterfly!  Lift one foot off the floor and count slowly (one - one thousand; two - one thousand; three - one thousand) until you cannot hold your balance and need to set your foot down.  However many seconds this was is your starting point.  Now do the other leg and record your starting point for both legs.  

When you are lifting your foot, your knee is coming up slightly too, thus your upper- thigh is being raised away from the chair also. Keep your back straight,  your head high, and try to keep your tummy tight.  This exercise is good both for balance and for strengthening your leg muscles.  As with the stand up exercise, do this exercise at least once daily for a week at the same count  until you can do that comfortably, then increase the count for the next week.  It may take you a few weeks to move from one increment to another, but that is OK...just keep working at it and you will see improvement.  (I have 85-95 year old's doing this every week with good results.  In some cases they are not increasing their time, but they also are not decreasing...and at their age that is an accomplishment in itself!)

One Very Important Thing - Keep your eyes looking forward...not down at your knees, feet and toes!

Any questions, just let me know...

Donna, Having balance problems I really like your exercises...can't wait to try them. Walking the dog has been pretty good too. Hugs. Linda

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:47 AM

Well, yesterday wasn't a very good day. I ate 40 points and am allowed 32 points. My weakness is when I get off of work I don't want to cook and it is easier for my husband and I to go out to eat. When we do that I have a VERY hard time controlling myself. The good news is technically I am still within the boundaries of what I am allowed to eat because of my weekly points. No more excuses, tonight I will do some form of exercise and I will cook something healthy.

Page 26 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use