Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 25 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:11 PM

I rejoined Weight Watchers today.  The last two attempts have not been successful because of me but I know the program works.  I am actually a lifetimer but obviously didn't stick to it.  I weighed in at 186.  My first goal is 5% or 9 pounds.  I have done the At Work meetings but I think I am going to find a local group to get involved with.  Mixing work and personal life has never appealed to me so that might help my mental outlook. 

I am going to start slow on my eliptical and work up so I may just do 10 minutes tonight but if I could get in the habit of doing that 4-5 times a week, then increase gradually, it would be better than nothing. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:25 PM

Donna B:
(for those of you with foot issues, I have an alternative at the end, so look below).  

I thought the previous message was getting a bit long and it would be better to put this alternative in another post, so here it is:

Alternative Balance Exercise for people with foot  and/or standing issues:

For these you will need a stable, straight-backed kitchen or dining room chair...preferably on a hard surface floor. Sit in the chair with your "toosh" and back away from the back of the chair ( your thighs and legs should not be on the chair at all).  In other words, you are sitting on the front edge of the chair with only your "toosh" supporting you on the chair.  Now, sit up nice and straight and tall, roll your shoulders up and back and pull your belly button back toward your spine (just like the stand-up version of this exercise).  Your back should not be touching the back of the chair...in fact there should be a gap of several inches there!  Have both feet comfortably together and your ankles directly under your knees so your thighs and forelegs form a 90 degree angle.

Now, hold both arms out to your sides...pretend you are a butterfly!  Lift one foot off the floor and count slowly (one - one thousand; two - one thousand; three - one thousand) until you cannot hold your balance and need to set your foot down.  However many seconds this was is your starting point.  Now do the other leg and record your starting point for both legs.  

When you are lifting your foot, your knee is coming up slightly too, thus your upper- thigh is being raised away from the chair also. Keep your back straight,  your head high, and try to keep your tummy tight.  This exercise is good both for balance and for strengthening your leg muscles.  As with the stand up exercise, do this exercise at least once daily for a week at the same count  until you can do that comfortably, then increase the count for the next week.  It may take you a few weeks to move from one increment to another, but that is OK...just keep working at it and you will see improvement.  (I have 85-95 year old's doing this every week with good results.  In some cases they are not increasing their time, but they also are not decreasing...and at their age that is an accomplishment in itself!)

One Very Important Thing - Keep your eyes looking forward...not down at your knees, feet and toes!

Any questions, just let me know...

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:28 PM

Jeanine

Jeanine, starting slow is good and we all know that exercising can get boring so I hope you have music or tv to listen to even if it is in your head. You also could mentally plan your next quilt project. Whatever it takes keep it up at least 3 times a week with other forms of exercise. Don't forget to stretch!

from TN

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:30 PM

Jeanine:

I rejoined Weight Watchers today.  The last two attempts have not been successful because of me but I know the program works.  I am actually a lifetimer but obviously didn't stick to it.  I weighed in at 186.  My first goal is 5% or 9 pounds.  I have done the At Work meetings but I think I am going to find a local group to get involved with.  Mixing work and personal life has never appealed to me so that might help my mental outlook. 

I am going to start slow on my eliptical and work up so I may just do 10 minutes tonight but if I could get in the habit of doing that 4-5 times a week, then increase gradually, it would be better than nothing. 

I started Weight Watchers online last month but, I haven't really stuck to it, at all. I think it is something that could really work for me if I just did it. I really like the point system. To me it is much easier than trying to count calories. I just have to motivate myself to do it and, to do some physical activity. I think I am going to swap out between doing Wii fit, EA Sports active, and walking on my treadmill. I think if I switch it up I will be more likely to do it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:34 PM

Marie:

Please post them here Donna, I think a lot of people would benefit from them.  I walk looking down because I'm afraid to fall.  A few people in my life ended up in a nursing home because of falls and not too long after died, don't want that for any of us.  Thanks.  I'm still looking for that tape, saved it in a safe place so I couldn't find it, I guess.  LOL

That is the whole reason we started the S.A.I.L. (Stay Active and Independent for Life) Program here.  To be honest, we have had a few of our enrollees fall since they have been in the program, but they have been able to recover and return to their homes...100% of them!  In fact, the rehab people have remarked to each of them that their muscle tone and strength was much better than most people they see.  It makes us feel good that we have been able to help them!

I have the first stand-up balance and sit-down balance exercises posted now.  Please post a message if anything is not clear or if you have questions or problems with the exercises...

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:01 PM

well, here's a status update - I did manage to get on the treadmill last nite for a whole whopping - get ready 7 Minutes!  not a lot but I did it, goal is to increase by 3 min each time (hope to do daily) till I can make it 20-30 a day.  That's a huge goal for me.  really feel I can lose by doing this and watching better what I eat, more fruits and veggies and less sweet stuff.  

at least that's my plan for now till I see how it works!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:04 PM

Debbie:

well, here's a status update - I did manage to get on the treadmill last nite for a whole whopping - get ready 7 Minutes!  not a lot but I did it, goal is to increase by 3 min each time (hope to do daily) till I can make it 20-30 a day.  That's a huge goal for me.  really feel I can lose by doing this and watching better what I eat, more fruits and veggies and less sweet stuff.  

at least that's my plan for now till I see how it works!

I think that is an awesome plan. WTG on the treadmill. It's 7 minutes more than I did yesterday. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:12 PM

Got on the scale this morning to find that I did not gain back as much as I thought. At 5'2" and 176 pounds Im looking at at least 40 pounds. I will be going on WW as it seems to work best for me.  Susan

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:37 PM

Marie:

Beverly how tall are you?  You look like you belong to the little people club of which I am a member.

Hey Marie, if you are referring to the mig shots I posted yesterday little ole me is 5 and 1/2 feet. Does that qualify me for the little people club?  

from TN

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 3:47 PM

Donna, I printed out your instructions and put it on my refrigerator so I can do it every morning while waiting on my tea to boil. Funny that it is easier on what I consider my weaker left leg than the right because of a broken ankle which has screws on both sides.  This is an exercise they had me do in rehab at the time so I will continue with it.

Thanks

from TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,826
Points 352,602
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:10 PM

Marie:

Sounds yummy, Kris.  I have heard of edamame but didn't know what is was either.  Sukochi's recipe sounds like I might also like them as a snack.  Are they high in calories?

155g  edamame = 189 calories; 8g fat; 16g carbs; 8g fiber; 17g protein; 10% calcium; 16% Vit C; 20% iron (based on a 2000 calorie per day diet).

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,043
Points 169,873
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:14 PM

OK Bev, let me understand, 5' 1/2'' or 5' 6"?  If it's the former, yes cause that 1/2" isn't going to get you into the big people category.   LOL

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,043
Points 169,873
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:32 PM

Kris:
155g  edamame = 189 calories; 8g fat; 16g carbs; 8g fiber; 17g protein; 10% calcium; 16% Vit C; 20% iron (based on a 2000 calorie per day diet).

Believe it or not, Kris, my son Chris is a health nut and there are some of these beans in my freezer!  Thanks.  He's been trying to get me to eat healthy for the last 4 years.  He was so happy when I told him of this Challenge, now he can stop trying.  BTW my calorie limit is 1200 being in the little people category.  It's tough sticking to that and I definitely have to exercise or I'll just maintain at some point.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,750
Agnes replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:43 PM

Donna--Thanks for the balance exercises. Have you any other common exercises that help keep us healthier or safer?. I have saved your balance exercises in word doc and will be using them. My previous suite had a good length hallway which I would use for walking heel to toe for balance. I don't like doing this kind of stuff down the common hallways or in the common room. I have made note also of the Sit and Fit information. Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

Well I do have a little good news stopped by my Drs office after work and had one of the nurses weigh me instead of 183 I am 176,  need to re-calibrate my scale, felt a little better LOL also did really good on my meals today, it helps me to pre plan what I will be eating for the week.

[Ava, Missouri

Page 25 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 23 24 25 26 27 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use