Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 23 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 7:12 PM

Kelli your sidekick was named after my baby brother,,,lol. Except that my Leon is 6 ft tall and about 240. He's a great guy!

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 7:26 PM

Hi, Mindy. It interests me that you had gastric bypass surgery. I had a Nissen Fundiplacation on Oct 2, 2012. I, too, am only able to eat limited amounts of food at one sitting. As a for instance, we had Minestrone Soup for dinner and I was only able to eat a small, ( fruit bowl size), portion. Sometimes, I can not even eat that much.I drink Ensure for breakfast and one small bottle fills me up. Breads, and most dry foods get stuck in my esophagus. I have gone from 175 on Oct. 23rd, to 156 now.  Is your situation, similar to this?

So glad to have you with us. Happy New Year to you.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 7:26 PM

You are lovely Belfrybat..  I think that with your drive, you will be very successful.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 7:45 PM

Hi everyone, haven't checked in for a few days, so thought I'd speak up. I greatly appreciate all the stories and advice everyone has been sharing. It really helps remind me that I'm not alone in my struggles with weight.

I haven't been able to exercise since Saturday night, one reason was because I quilted on the LA for a total of about 6 hours trying to finish a quilt for my niece, and then the rains came. Both of these things have caused my back to give me fits again, but I plan to get back to it tomorrow. In the mean time, I have been watching what I eat and tracking it with my fitness pal app.

Another sweetener some of you may want to try is stevia. It is a natural sweetener, it's a plant extract, and you can get it plain in liquid form at most health food stores, or grocery stores sell it mixed with another sweetener, a fruit sugar alcohol, to kinda cover the funny aftertaste, called truvia. I like it as a sweetener for tea, but can't get use to the taste in coffee.

Also, I would suggest quinoa (pronounced keen-whaa) as a substitute for rice or pasta. It is a grain that is high in protein, and you prepare it basically the same as rice. You can get it at most health food stores and some grocery stores. Also, look for adzuki beans, small black beans that are very healthy and very good.

Happy New Year everyone, and keep up the great work! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 8:11 PM

I never tried quinoa Sabrins, but maybe I should put it on my list.  

I went for a four mile walk today. Boy did it feel good!  

I signed on to my fitness pal and boy was I surprised by some of the calories.  I think this will really help me control my portions.  The other thing I need to do is plan my meals ahead of time, and make a grocery list that I will stick to.  I also have to keep in mind the dietary needs of DH.  He is lactose intolerant, and has some IBS, I think.  Certain foods or grains he eats send him directly to the bathroom.  So I can't cook broccoli or cauliflower, some beans, grapes and many others. Spices aren't good either. But with all of your ideas and help I will get my body back to its healthy base.

it is so nice to see so many people participating and taking their health in there own hands.

i too will report back Monday.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 104
Points 1,780

OK I hopped on the scale first thing this morning and I'm starting at 184.5.  I'm 5'4" and working on the picture part.  Ugh.  Looks like I've got at least 40 pounds to lose.  I'm turning 50 this year so now would be a very good time to do it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:15 PM

Hi Mindy, welcome, glad to have you on board.  Good luck to us all in this venture.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:20 PM

Sorry vacation is over for you, Leslie.  I wish I can get into the habit of preparing meals for the week, great idea.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,420
Bev replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:28 PM

Today I weighed 159 lbs. which is about 30 pounds overweight for me. I have high cholesterol and really need to work on that. I also found out last checkup that I am borderline diabetic so that will be another concern for me. i am hoping to exercise more and cut back (not cut out) on the foods I really like.I really don't eat no way near the amount of fruits and vegetables that we are suppose to have so this will be my goal along with getting more active. 

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:38 PM

Hi Everyone,  just wanted to say how much I admire all of you for joining in with this New Year challenge.  And I think you are all seeing now that you really are not alone...there are literally thousands of us out here just like you!  Even though I may seem to be pretty active, I have had my own health challenges in the last year that have resulted in a severe reduction in my ability to exercise and have resulted in about 25# of extra weight which I will be working to lose as well!  Plus, I have to admit, I think I really became somewhat depressed and food was my solace of choice.  I need to turn that around in 2013!!! And yes, Sukochi,  my thighs rub together too!  One of my greatest wishes is to have a "gap" there again...LOL!!!  I have always carried my weight in my thighs, sigh.  But this time I have added rolls around my waist too...really not good!!!  Time to do something major about this turn of events!!!

So I will be joining in with you and cheering you all along this journey.  

As I work with seniors on a regular basis to keep them mobile and exercising to the best of their ability, I feel that I have some suggestions that might be helpful for those of you that have mobility issues and concerns with standing and exercising.  The Nat'l Institute on Aging, offers a FREE DVD (available to any US citizen) with low impact, basic exercises designed for seniors or those with mobility issues.  You can order the video here:

http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/go4life-dvd-everyday-exercises-national-institute-aging    (again, this is FREE, your taxes at work...use it!!!)

Another good option is the "Sit and Be Fit" television series which is available on DVD and short clips are available on YouTube.com (Go to YouTube and enter "sit and be fit" in their search engine)...there are a bunch of short clips with sample exercises for different types of situations.  Also, check your local PBS television station to see if they are airing this show.  If not, call them and tell them you would like to see them add it to their program line-up.  If you like what you see on YouTube, go to the Sit and Be Fit website where you can purchase their videos. Over 90% of these exercises are done in a sitting position!  We use a lot of these techniques from our seniors who cannot stand or walk for very long.  The Sit and Be Fit Website:  http://www.sitandbefit.org/home

Now for my reveal... I am   5' 6" and weigh 176#....I should be between 150#-155#...which I was 10 years ago!  Now, I really need to get busy too!!!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:39 PM

Beverly how tall are you?  You look like you belong to the little people club of which I am a member.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Hi Patty,

I just signed up for quilters club tonight. This is the first thing I have come across. How ironic, I really need to loose about 50 pounds. I have uncontrolled Type II Diabetes and my doctor wants me to do light excercise and watch my sugar and carbs and loose weight. This sounds like the perfect chance to do something with other people. I live in a small town with my dog. Very rural. My husband works downstate and only gets home about 5 days a month. So this will be a great challange for me. Count me in!!!!

Gail Vespa

PS. I weighed in at 201 this morning and I am 5'3" and I will be 65 the 17th of Jan. So I really need this. THANKS SO MUCH.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:44 PM

Thanks for reminding me, Donna, you gave this info once before and I ordered it.  It's in a drawer somewhere, I think I'm literally allergic to any kind of exercise but it's time to get that tape out and give it a go.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:51 PM

Welcome Gail.  How nice to join a quilt group and have the opportunity to join in on a weight loss challenge.  Whodathunk?  This is an incredible bunch of people you have joined, enjoy and good luck in this challenge.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 934
Points 15,825
Marge P replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 11:57 PM

There sure has been alot of interest in this thread and like Donna B says, none of us are alone in the challenge of losing weight.  I used to measure 5' 10" tall and loved it.  That was with shoes so it was really 5' 9 1/2" but i was a happy camper.  I was measured this summer and fall before knee surgery and they said i was 5' 7" - I think they are crazy!  I know I have shrunk what with having radiation on three different areas of my spine and combine that with age and osteoporosis, but I still find it hard to accept.

I have gone from 138# in high school (no, I was not skinny!) to a max of 185# when I was pregnant with son #2.  Later on, I got up to 215# - in 2010 went down to 170# due to radiation/oral chemo - got back to 215# and each time I have had knee surgery I have lost 30-40# and then gained part of it back.  My DH says it must be his cooking but actually I lost my appetite both times.  Am right at 200# again and don't need to go up anymore.  I know it is not good to go up and down like this but I haven't lost weight on purpose - it has just happened.  I am ready to work hard on maintaining and hopefully lowering the weight this coming year.  I have lost a lot of my taste for beef - do not like chocolate like I have all my life :-( - it has been very strange to say the least.

I am rooting all of you on to a healthier weight this year.  

Marge P

Page 23 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use