Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 10 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 8:47 PM

Barbara, Have you tried swimming? If you can find a place to swim, check out exercises that you can do in the water. I think that might be worth looking into.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 686
Points 13,065
Michelle replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 8:49 PM

This is a picture of myself and husband on our 2 month trip this summer to all the National Parks in the western US. I was 5 lbs lighter there. I will also post this Christmas picture. 

This is at Christmas this year with my friend and fellow quilter.  5' 3" and 160lbs.  Need to be 140 at the most for my height.  I would be happy there. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Marie and Linda...my mother was 4'10" and me being 5'1" I always joked about being the tall one! haha  Thank you everyone for posting your stories and your pictures. It helped me and will help others too.

The last time I was weighed, in June, I was 236 lbs. I HAD to go buy 2 pair of jeans a couple weeks ago so i didn't have to wear sweat pants to Christmas dinner.  Last January right after my chemo and radiation I was in size 14 and weighed 196. That was GREAT considering that I am wearing 22 again today. Remember I am 5'1" so I am morbidly, disgustingly obese!  The cancer treatments put me into menopause, so I am 42, in menopause, have nueropathy, arthritis in my back and sever joint pains. They have not decided yet if it is from my treatments or arthritis :/    I am really scared to weigh myself and embarrassed get a pic taken and post it on Tuesday. I am guessing that I am somewhere in the 250-260 range now..*cringe*. Tuesday well tell the tale.  All I can say is that I am too dang young to be in this shape!! It is affecting me physically and mentally and it sucks.

I love food so I collect cookbooks. I have several Weight Watchers and diabetic  as well as many, many low cal, low carb, etc cookbooks..  I have the complete Zumba DVD set, with the shakers (not sure what they are called), Wii fitness, Biggest Loser Wii, and several yoga and low impact DVDs to use once I can lose some weight and hopefully lose some of this joint pain. I have a Gazelle as well, but like many of the treadmills...it just collects dust and clothes..lol

Well, i didn't want this to be so long, but I needed to get this off my chest. I am creating my meal plan and going to the grocery store tomorrow.  I will post some of my recipes that are good for diabetics and some good for WW too. 

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 686
Points 13,065
Michelle replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:08 PM

Erin,  All the health issues you are going thru, I am so impressed with your positive attitude! I don't hear anything negative in your note, only that you need some support to help you on this next journey.  This seems like such a great place, everyone here seems so willing to help.  I am praying for your health. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,127
Points 28,535
Wendy replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:33 PM

test

I tried to post  but it wouldn't post what I wrote.  It said this forum was being moderated and I had to wait for approval.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 378
Points 5,080
Annette replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:06 PM

Patti....

I think this is a GREAT idea.   I had intended to add the typical 'weight loss' resolution to my list for 2013 and could use the incentive/cheering help in the background to keep me going.   After reading thru this post, this might be the thing I need.   I work from home (tele-commute), so I'm usually sitting/working or sitting/sewing or sitting/something.   Count me in.    On Jan 1 I'll weigh myself and report in then.   

Annette

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:10 PM

I think along with pounds I will also keep track of inches, so I will take my bust waist an hip measurments and post them with a pic and weight and height.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 10:50 PM

Here is a good weight loss site that is free.   www.sparkpeople.com

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,832
Points 366,142
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:33 PM

Wendy :

test

I tried to post  but it wouldn't post what I wrote.  It said this forum was being moderated and I had to wait for approval.

Wendy, this is one of QCA's error messages. If you wait a bit then try again it will post. You may have to change a word or two if it tells you duplicate post. Can't wait 'til they fix it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,832
Points 366,142
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:35 PM

Leslie :

Here is a good weight loss site that is free.   www.sparkpeople.com

Leslie,

I'm on Spark. I mainly use it to track my food. I keep a food journal because of my migraines. (Haven't been on in months). I used to chat on there and I think I have a blog. There are great articles on this site.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 11:40 PM

Kris, i have an account but i don't think i have ever used it.

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 429
Points 8,695
Sabrina replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 12:10 AM

We have a treadmill too, but we use ours. It's smack dab in the middle of our living/dinning room. DH wanted to put it in our back bedroom out of the way, but I wouldn't let him. I figured if it was out staring us in the face every day, we would use it more. So far it has worked.

I also use my Wii with some fitness games. I have lost over 50 lbs in the past playing these games, but you have to be dedicated to them just like any other fitness routine. They do work though.

Since I work night shift, most of my posts will be at night. Last night after posting my picture, I got on my treadmill and restarted my 5k training program. It feels so good to finally get back o doing something. Tonight I put in Wii Fit Plus and did a 30 min yoga routine. It's looking like oatmeal with raisins for breakfast, and then off to do some quilting on the LA.

I really appreciate everyone's stories, pictures, and suggestions. I will share some of my recipes too when I get them dug out. I was so excited and encouraged by this group that I got started right away instead of waiting for the first. I think this group is going to be so helpful for all of us. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 6:55 AM

Erin, I am SO proud of you. You are my Hero. To have gone through all you have and are able to come forward and tell your story to us all and commit to helping yourself, your life and your health. I appaude you.

I know this will be hard for all of us, but girls, we can do this. We have the support of each other. I think support is what it is all about. It is easy to start a weight loss program and then backslide and just stop. But, if you have to go to a bunch of friends and tell them," I am not going to do this anymore". That is hard! So, lets hang in there, lock arms, and go for it.

At one time, when my hives were first diagnosised, I was put on an incredibly high dose of steriods. It makes you puff up. I mean really puff up. I went from 148 to 235. I had to wear Jim's shirts. When Christmas came, we went to the airpor,t to pick up my DLMIL, who was coming for a visit. I was standing right next to Jim when she came up. She hugged Jim and just turned and started for baggage claim. I followed behind, then said "Mom, aren't you going to say hello to me?" She spun around, got a look on her face like she was seeing a monster, and said she didn't even recognize me! Then she said how I had let myself go and it was so sad. Embarrassed does not cover it. And, I have never overcome the pain of that comment.

Measurement is a great idea.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 690
Hcim55 replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:33 AM

2eggs overlight, cooked with a tad of coconut oil, 1/4 cup Lima beans and a couple spoons of tomatoes with jalapeños on the side.......... Now that was an interesting breakfast.  Lol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,453
Points 243,837
Thea replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:42 AM

I am so proud of everyone here with the stories that they tell.  I need to continue to lose weight and hope to this year.  

My story - in 1998 while on active duty for the AF I went to Croatia for a temporary duty assignment  - when I went I weighed approx 140 lbs - which for my 5'7" frame was fine.  I didn't look skinny and I didn't look fat!  I was IMHO just right.  When I came home after being there for 6 months, I started having pains in my hands - no one could figure out what was wrong.  They hurt so bad that while driving I would only be able to put one on the steering wheel at a time... the other I would have to have down in my lap... I had prior to leaving been doing aerobics each morning for 30 minutes and each evening for 30 minutes... well all of a sudden I couldn't do any exercise without feeling as though I had gone to the gym and worked out for 4 hours instead of the 30 minutes... so another round of doctor visits and they finally came up with the conclusion that I had FMS - had never heard of it so bought 10 books on it and read them all and decided - this didn't sound right but the doctors know best... they put me on a pill concoction - prednisone, vioxx or celebrex or bextra(depending on the month), 3 different muscle relaxers(zanaflex, skellaxin and the one that starts with f - it will come to me), 2 different anti depressents(zoloft was one - the other one I never can remember), a thyroid medication(synthroid), a diabetic medicaiton (starts with an A), a sleeping pill (Ambien) and pain meds (Lortab).  I took these pills all through out the day - starting the day usually with 10 and at night going to bed I took 8... all these little pill bottles set next to my bed - looked horrible to me... 

They then started sending me to Rheumatologists as they are the ones who handle FMS patients... well my first RA doctor agreed with the FMS diagnosis and put me on another pill - it was a sulfur pill that I ended up having a panic attack on - so they took me off of it - but started sending me to Physical therapy which during active duty was great - 3 times a week - I got wrapped in heat and massaged - oh it was wonderful - did it help - NO none of this helped... I just seemed to get worse but I was in such a state that I didn't know whether I was coming or going most of the time... my memories from these years is very foggy.  I have to look back at my medical records to remember a lot of it...

The RA doctor saw me 3 times - 3 months apart and that 3rd time when I came in he looked at me and said - You look absolutely horrible...I want x-rays and labs done immedialely - so off I was sent to the lab and radiation department... then back and he diagonsed me with RA - I was given a new medication for RA... I started feeling better - didn't ache quite as much but was still not good... I had been on this regimen of drugs now for almost 2 years... I had gone from that 140 lbs to almost 180 lbs - the AF was putting me on the fat girl program - I was in trouble... so I started starving myself - I didn't eat a lot to begin with as I never have but now I was down to less then 1000 calories a day... watching everything I ate... didn't help - it was now 2002 and I was weighing in at 190 lbs - I was close to retirement so they didn't say anything but at the time I didn't want to retire...

Through this whole period I kept asking them to please fix me - why was this happening... So I was sent to a new RA doctor and she did an MRI almost immediately after talking to me for 3 hours and telling me that my symptoms said there was a lot wrong with me... The MRI came back that I had a blown disc in my neck - now I had had an MRI back in 2000 but it had mysteriously gotten lost until my retirement papers came up - it after it was found showed that I had had this blown disc back then too - my new RA doctor said how could you be living with this pain... and I said when they tell you nothing is wrong you start to believe that it is all in your head...

Well, after the 1st neck surgery things did get better - but I was diagnosed with severe RA now, and thoracic outlet syndrome, sodjens(sp) syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome, still some fms but now they called it poly myalgia instead of fibromyalgia... 

But the nice thing about the surgery was I got told mistakenly to stop all my medications 48 hours before the surgery - they were supposed to tell me to stop taking my anti inflammatory meds - I stopped them all - the anit inflammatories - the muscle relaxers, the sleep meds, the anti depression meds, - all of them... and I woke up - my brain kicked back in - I had been stuttering and that stopped... 

Oh it was a halleluiah day!  Then about 30 days after the operation the pain all came back.  They figured out now that I had a grace period because of one of the drugs that they use to put you to sleep for surgery... I would love to have that drip once every 60 days... but alas!!!

Anyway, I digress - I had now gone through Remicade treatments - which were good but the weight - oh my - it was up over 200 and I quit getting on the scale at home - I quit listening to that figure when I went to the doctor... my RA doctor about this time left and I was given another one at that same clinic - he switched me from Remicade to Enbrel - gave myself a shot once a week and I really did quite good...

Oh almost forgot - right before this happened - I decided to get back on the exercise program and to start I would start walking each day... so I did - I walked about a mile each day and I started limping... something was wrong with my left foot... but I didn't stop I kept walking... well before my RA doctor got switched that time she noticed and sent me down for an MRI of my foot - it came back with between 6-8 of the little bones in the foot were broke - so off to a foot doctor they sent me and he put me in one of those air casts - 

So now - I am with that new RA doc and on Enbrel - doing fantastic... weight is skyrocketing but I feel so much better - I was retired from the AF and quilting at home full time... My RA doc leaves - and a very strange part of my life starts - they send me to so many other doctors because in my area no RA doctor now takes my insurance - these internists tell me I don't have RA - oh my - I had been on the meds for this forever it seemed but now - nope you don't have it - it is back to docs messing with my head and telling me it is all upstairs... so depression set in bad... but the Lord stepped in and helped me...

Mom got sick last year and couldn't live by herself anymore - so I stepped in and said I would take her in... I drove across country to get her and when I got to her house it was a shambles... I started cleaning and cleaned each day for about 16-18 hours a day - non stop - there was nothing else to do - the work had to be done... after 3 weeks of this I finally got her upper floor of her house clean enough that I could call the moving company to come and pack her stuff for the move... 

I do not know how I did this at this time - to me it seems an impossible task but I did... I got Mom back to my house... and I got on the scale and I had lost 20 pounds...WOW... and the pounds have been dropping since then...

But I am no longer on any medications but the pain meds.  I finally told them I just could not do any more rounds of doctors - the last RA doctor they sent me to - re - established that I have severe RA and OA and all the other things that the 2nd RA doctor had diagnosed me with - but he does not treat RA with the biologic meds - he just uses steroids and since I can not take them he told me that he really could not help me....

So I have developed my own THEA treament for myself... It is get sleep when I am tired... exercise when I can... try not to break any bones so this means no walking... (forgot was diagnosed with early onset stress fractures and shin splints)... so... 

I told them - thank goodness I am retired and have a pension check coming in each month so that I don't have to work - it is enough to live on - not a great deal more - but DH has a good job - (Thank the Lord for no layoffs in the near future)... I can live with in the means I am given... not 100% comfortable but well enough - 

No we can't go out and by that luxury sedan - we have a modest car that gets us where we need to go - a very old truck that works too and will be replaced as soon as the car is paid off ... we have a house that the mortgage payment is within our means to pay... utility bills - well they can get mean sometimes but we don't mind the heat in the summer - and we wrap up in an extra quilt in the winter...

All in all - now that I am back to talking about weight!!!  I am down to 160 - so far I haven't been able to break into the 150s but I'll get there...

So anyone that needs a pep talk or some help to help you lose weight - I am here with a great ear - if you start feeling like you need to eat - call me and I will regale you with funny stories about my kitties or doggies - or when I try to sew my fingers - or try to wash the crystal and china with the sink filled with towels so if it falls out of my hands which happens often that it doesn't break..

I will keep you occupied till that craving for some food goes away.  I'll also be that coach that asks if you have done that 30 minutes each morning of exercise and I'll make that 30 minutes fun for you.

I know we can do this all of us in 2013 - we can lose weight - we can get healthy - and we can smile and have fun doing it... it is not going to be a chore but a wonderful experience!  

I have great FAITH!  The Lord helps me every day and he will help all of us.

I left out parts of my story as I sometimes can't remember all that happened to me in those first years after I was diagnosed - but now the doctors are in agreements that I have a plan and they are on my side.  We know my body is deteriorating faster then it should but right now nothing is medically able to be done to stop it.  I am okay with it all!  I take pain meds and pray!  I have wonderful friends here at QCA that have saved my life over and over...

I am willing to help any of you!  I Skype with Barbara almost every day!  We could Skype for 30 minutes each day with anyone that needs that push to do those exercises... I'll count those steps for you - I'll smile and say - DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!! and you'll look at me and grimace... but I'll help you to do it!

WE all can!!! And before you know it - it will be December 2014 and you will be regaling how you did this last year and how that smaller dress size fits again!  

Lets go!!!

Page 10 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use