This post has 93 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,041
Points 169,863
Marie replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:24 PM

gini:
i bet you use tai kwon do to bag them. 

Gini, when your talking about hunks, I use any method I can to bag them, including Tai Kwon Do.  I've dropped a purse, tripped and fell, tripped them, whatever.  :  )

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 520
Beverly replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:29 PM

pink and purple?  Haven't seen these. I would love to find white or yellow-wonder if they make those colors?  something that would show up on black fabric.

54490-395-793ED8045007A07D3F6D2F5D10215A6A

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:38 PM

Beverly ,have not seen either one of those colors yet, but maybe someday .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,824
Points 352,517
Kris replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 3:01 PM

Beverly:

pink and purple?  Haven't seen these. I would love to find white or yellow-wonder if they make those colors?  something that would show up on black fabric.

They come in lime green and orange. Those should show up on black.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:30 PM

Ir ecnetly was looking at the package of all the colors. There is no white. Can't remember what the other colors are though. I  have black and blue, myself.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 5:05 PM

I have black, blue, red, brown, orange, pink, purple and lime green.  I've tried all of them on black and can't see any of them without tilting them into the light and looking for the shine of the ink.  I was hoping that the lime green or orange would show, but no luck for me anyway.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

gini:
i bet you use tai kwon do

So exactly what is tai kwon do, inquiring minds want to know.. :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Spudgrandma:

gini:

Okay never mind, when I read it I was thinking doggy do but apparently you meant Taekwondo LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Spudgrandma:

gini:

Martial Arts Spud. Several years ago George and I took classes. He made Black belt and I only got to Brown. But I was proud of it anyway. Ask me if I can still do a side kick? If all I had to kick was an ants knee then I'm in fine shape!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Judy T-Bellingham:
If all I had to kick was an ants knee then I'm in fine shape!

That may be higher than I could kick Judy LOL

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Hey Ladies,

As much as I hate to re-open a thread on such a sensitive topic, I do have a question.... I realize that we don't all feel the same way about Frixion pens.  Some of us (myself included) love them and others will never use them for several reasons (re-appearing / ghosting / unknown chemical properties / etc). I understand and respect both sides and personally choose to use them.  So... let's remember to play nice as always.    :)  Here we go...

Has anyone tried the NEW frixion products?  When I went online to order new pens, I discovered a whole new world of Frixion erasable products.  They have highlighters, markers, colored pencils, gel-pens, all kinds of stuff...  I noticed my quilt store recently started stocking the highlighters, but I haven't asked yet whether they work the same was as the pens on fabric.

Has anyone tested the other products to know if they have the same properties on fabric?  I was thinking that if they all have the same disappearing properties, then I might like to try the highlighters or markers or gel pens, since I thought they might write more smoothly on fabric.  Sometimes, I have a hard time getting the ball-point pens to mark smoothly on fabric.  

I'd love to hear thoughts/experiences/rumors from anyone who has tried them or heard anything about them.  

Thanks in advance!

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 1:01 PM

Carolyn

I haven't tried any of the new products.   I have seen where Frixon products are now being marketed to be used on fabrics.  I don't know if this means that they have changed some of the chemical properties or not.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:52 PM

Nana:
I have seen where Frixon products are now being marketed to be used on fabrics.

That's encouraging.  Who wants to be our tester and report back to the group?  Please try a light colored pen on a dark fabric as that's where I've seen the biggest problem with ghosting.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,824
Points 352,517
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:07 PM

According to Pilot, makers of the Frixion pens, the inks in ALL of their pens are archival safe. PH 7.0; no acidic chemicals that may speed up deterioration.

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
Sometimes, I have a hard time getting the ball-point pens to mark smoothly on fabric.  

They make a pen called "Frixion Point" that might work better for you than the "Frixion Ball" pen. The highlighter might not have a fine enough point for your needs.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 19,935

Kris, I checked out the POINT pens and they do look like a good option.  Thanks!  I ordered a pack of the black ones.  

Nancy, I never buy the light colors anymore, because I can't get them to show up well enough on dark fabrics, so I'm not sure what the point would be there.  (What's the point of using them if you can't see them in the first place?)  You must have better eyes than me.  But just for fun, I took one of my old hot pink ballpoints and tested it on some black fabric - it showed up more AFTER I ironed it then it did before!  Lol.  If anyone is interested, here are the results - pink and black ballpoint on black and beige fabric.  There is a LOT of pink ink because I had to go over and over to be able to see it well enough on the black side.  Then, I figured I should be consistent on both background colors, so I went real heavy on the beige side as well.  I colored the stars in over and over.  With the black ink, I tried to do the same, but the pen was running out, so I wan't able to.  There are equal amounts of black ink on both the beige and tan backgrounds.  

This was just my one little experiment and others may have different results, but here's what I observed:  If you look at the right angle with good light, you can see ghosting on both backgrounds, but on the light fabric, you've really got to know what you're looking for and look at an angle. The effect is much moreso for the pink ink where I really used a TON of ink.  I took the photos at an angle and I think I caught it even on the light fabrics.  On the darks, it's pretty obvious.  On the lights, it's very hard to see.  Since I only use these guys on light fabrics (and I quilt over the lines), it seems to be perfectly fine for me.  

I am not going to buy any of the light colors in the new products, since they're all kind of expensive and I don't have good hopes for them.  I will run a test of black ink on light fabric when my pens arrive.  I look forward to marking my big Christmas quilt with them if I can ever decide on a background fabric and a quilting motif.  I've got lots of great ideas now, just need to come to a final decision.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Page 6 of 7 (94 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use