Sue Posted: Tue, Dec 25 2012 6:39 AM

Thank you.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 7:02 AM

Sue ,PP is where the pattern is broken down on paper in sections and you sew the fabric with the paper, It's used alot for those really odd patterns and makes for really sharp corners . If you go to groups and check out the paper piecing group you will get a better idea, It really is fun to do and yo get some amazing patterns and quilts . I'm just not doing a very good job of explaining it . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 580
Sue replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 7:53 AM

Ok, thank you.  I certainly am not at that level of experience to dive into that.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 18,320

Sue:

Ok, thank you.  I certainly am not at that level of experience to dive into that.

I think you'd be surprised.  There are very complicated patterns, but some are quilt simple.  Here is a simple brief tutorial on how to do paper piecing. 

http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQuiltingPages/startquiltingthree.html

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 10:03 AM

Sue,

You might look for a pattern that has only 4 or 5 pieces. Maybe a pattern that becomes a star.  Those are usually fairly simple, not too involved, and let you get an idea of how paper piecing works.

Max

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 4:36 PM

Sue,

visit the paper piecing group there's a blurb on paper piecing. There are links to tutorials and simple to complicated patterns. Not everyone enjoys this method but it's very useful for unusual shapes that aren't easily rotary cut.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 11:08 PM

it also a great way to get perfect.y pieced blocks.  and easy pattern would work well for a beginner. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,842
Points 123,720

Sue:

Sue, I understand how you feel. I felt the same way. Had never paper pieced, couldn't wrap my mind around it at all. I watched a Craftsy class on paper piecing and that helped get me started. (I started wrong and messed up the piece, but what the heck...) Then I jumped in with both feet to a project and never looked back. Trust me you don't need any level of experience to do a paper pieced project. Just start with something simple. You may find out you don't enjoy it but, at least, you'll have given it a shot.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 25 2012 11:40 PM

Here is a pretty good tutorial.

http://www.blockcentral.com/a-fpp1.shtml

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use