Threads

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 580
Sue posted on Mon, Dec 24 2012 2:44 PM

I am new and trying to figure out the color of thread.  When you are making a quilt of multiple colors, both light and dark, how do you decide what color thread to use? I am using white for lack of a better choice.  I am sure you do not match the thread to the fabric color for all squares or you will have a career move just in changing out the threads.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Sue instead of using white try using a lite gray or a more nuteral color .  these are usually pretty fool proof . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 580
Sue replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 3:39 PM

Thank You for the response.  I will try gray

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,062 Posts
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 3:51 PM

Sue,

Welcome to the site. Lots of information here with very talented people that are willing to share their knowledge.

I agree with Barbara. Using a neutral would work perfectly. The gray or a cream will blend the best.

Be sure to share pictures. We all love to sneak a peek.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
710 Posts
Points 13,835

How about a variegated thread that has more than one of the quilt's colors it?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 243,637
Thea replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 7:05 PM

If you are piecing, I use a neutral - sometimes white - sometimes black - but creams and grays work great for multiple color piecing.  For Quilting - depends on whether I want the quilt design to show or blend into the background... I will match threads for satin stitching and blanket stitch on applique.  Some things I use the invisible threads on when I am doing applique and sometimes for quilting... 

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 580
Sue replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 7:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.  I just realized that I do not know how to make those cute little quilting patterns.  My first lap quilt was easy.  I did it by machine and sewed in the ditch for all the squares.  This quilt I am making; still a lap size; has all different patches, mostly rectangle and I was going to try and hand quilt this one for the practice, only I do not know any designs and cannot draw worth a hoot.   I will do a search.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
710 Posts
Points 13,835

You might be able to find some ideas in free clip art drawings. They can be printed any size you want, then traced onto your fabric. There are also the products at Quilting Made Easy that you stick onto the fabric and sew the designs, then tear away the paper.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use