Page 6 of 8 (111 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 110 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,570
Donna replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 3:07 PM
Quiltless, Your new house is beautiful and the view is priceless! I love the windows. They are similar to the old craftsman style with that rich, dark finish. How nice to have gotten it while it's still under construction and have a say in how it's to be finished. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Your story is uplifting and encouraging. You worked hard for decades to get there. Enjoy your retirement.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 13,145

Oh Judy, that is too funny. They both look really ambitious. You Hubby is missing fur babies. LOL  Notice mine has an old blanket. He's too messy for a handmade quilt. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 13,145

Thea, definitely home or at least a homey mess. LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 13,145

Barbara, I love it, "organized chaos."

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 13,145

Quilt less,

what a beautiful space and view. My hubby promised me a house on a large lake when I retire (5 years). I've already started drawing up house plans. I have very bad knees (eventual knee replacement needed) and hubby was a former motocross rider before the days of protective gear. We are planning a house on one level but will put in a basement for storage. My studio will face the lake and have special lighting along with natural light. Progress only comes with goals. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 5:32 PM

Quiltless!

What an amazing story, I look forward to your contirbutions on QCA.  We have s many talented, sharing, loving people, even if I did not quilt I would come here just to soak up the ambiance (bad spelling??)  Your house is awesome, dream are what keep us going, just never quit dreaming for every one that comes true another will be waiting to be fullfilled.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,525
Points 25,540
Debbie replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:42 AM

Well, I am very jealous of all this space some of you all have.  we down sized two years ago and I'm now in a 9' x 12' room.  Still a work in progress. 

well, can't get it to load the other pics but I'm standing in the door taking this picture. 

Still need to clean up some more - boxes under the table with office stuff nowhere to put,

should just throw it out but you know how that goes. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:22 AM

Quiltless,  I am so glad you finally got your place. it has been a long struggle for you.  Looks like you are building a new home instead of buying an older home.  Is that a view of Hood Canal or Puget Sound?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820

Donna:
Quiltless, Your new house is beautiful and the view is priceless! I love the windows. They are similar to the old craftsman style with that rich, dark finish. How nice to have gotten it while it's still under construction and have a say in how it's to be finished. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Your story is uplifting and encouraging. You worked hard for decades to get there. Enjoy your retirement.

Thank you, Donna.  The windows and the view really sold us this house.  It was well sited and designed.   Finishing the house and grounds is a good retirement activity.  Along with quilting, it will keep us busy.   I think most everyone works hard to reach their goals and dreams.  Quilters take many paths to reach where we all are today. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820

Patti:

Quiltless,  I am so glad you finally got your place. it has been a long struggle for you.  Looks like you are building a new home instead of buying an older home.  Is that a view of Hood Canal or Puget Sound?

Hi Patti

The home had an occupancy permit, but it also had a monster punch-list.  In my studio area, we knocked down 2 walls to combine an office and laundry to make a sewing studio. 

I wouldn't have missed the journey of my life and living so many places.  I have had the privilege of living so many places in America.  The experience has been phenomenal.  I'm not afraid to trade houses market - to market.  Like, selling low AND buying low.  This last house-hunting session was tense because I wanted a dream house and it was going to happen (or not) this time around.  While prices were generally low and influenced by foreclosures, financing issues were a snarl for most and the inventory is abysmal.  Because the inventory was so low, every really nice house we offered on had multiple offers.  Often, an all cash offer would win.  Believe it or not, there are a lot of all cash buyers out there at my price range.  We got the impression they were foreign buyers and conglomerate investors snapping up the good higher end properties.  We also saw some very sad "foreclosure rage" where former owners were smashing their luxury homes to bits before leaving them to the banks.  The house we bought was almost completed and without foreclosure rage.  (That scares me because they even jerk the wires in the walls and who knows what has happened to the plumbing etc.)  Our realtor found us this one before it was listed on the market.  So, this was a good buy for us at a fair price without the problems.

Good guessing.  It is the Puget Sound.  Waterfront on saltwater!  Yea!  The marine life is awesome and it is like we have a stadium seat to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CM8tTG9Yig

Admiral!  There be whales here!  (Scotty, Star Trek IV, "The Voyage Home".)

Q

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820

Joni,

Thank you. 

That's kind of the nature of Quilters -- to keep moving forward with ideas and dreams.  I do agree about quilters being talented, sharing, and loving people.  I see it over and over with the creativity, giving quilts to others, the quilty nurturing nature and sharing from the heart.  They are also generally patient, persistent and tenacious as it takes long endurance to make bigger quilt projects.  I have wondered if the activity of quilting impacts the nature of those who do it or if those who do it  have those characteristics by nature and it comes out in their activity?  Chicken or the egg?  The nature of my career was often, of necessity, confrontational or even too involved with political appeasement.  In my retirement, I get to choose a different emotional and social milieu.  I'm really fortunate to have landed among quilters.

Q

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820

Maggie,

That's a beautiful goal.  Make it happen!  Nothing happens without goals.

I never thought I would end up with a waterfront home.  But, when we saw it, we knew it was right. 

I am crossing my fingers for you.  Come back and tell us when it happens.

Q

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:31 PM

Quiltless:
There be whales here!

Yes, and did you know that the largest octopus (octopi?) in the world are found in Puget Sound?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:02 PM

Patti:

Quiltless:
There be whales here!

Yes, and did you know that the largest octopus (octopi?) in the world are found in Puget Sound?

Our neighbor mentioned there were octopi in the area.  I didn't know they were the largest, Patti.  I believe it though.  I recently saw a picture in the news where somebody hunted and killed a giant one and it created a big uproar.  Just down around the next bend is some famous scuba diving area and the octopi.  The scuba divers and environmentalists were all up in arms about the murder of the giant octopus. 

Our beach has clams and they will be seeding oysters soon.  There are 3 sea lions that gather on our beach and swim just off our shoreline too.  We can hear them sometimes.  They bob up and down like a Loch Ness Nessie when they are feeding.  I'm not likely to don a wet suit and go diving.  Too many critters and this is a very active feeding area.  If the marine mammals don't get you, the aerial forces will as we have predator birds like Bald Eagles, osprey and huge hawks.  Those eagles work this shoreline like nobody's business.  Two days ago we saw two eagles fighting in mid-air over a fish.  Wow!  We see shrimp and salmon boats out there every day.  Our beach is only above water at low tide, but it is a rock and sand beach and not just mud, so that's good.  It's like watching National Geographic in my own yard.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 10:05 PM

Quiltless:

View out the bay window. 

(Back story deleted.)

Forget about quilting, I would just park myself in front of this window!  Love your view!!

from TN

Page 6 of 8 (111 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use