Top 10 Posters

Quilting designs (not patterns) that complement pinwheels

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80
MartiP posted on Mon, Dec 17 2012 4:35 PM

Can someone suggest a book or other resource on choosing a quilting design that complements your piecework? I just finished a baby quilt with pinwheels and rows of rectangular bars (Moda's Charm Monday). I echo-stitched the pinwheels. Now for the rows of rectangles - ? I'd like to find something swirly to harmonize with the pinwheels.

I bought 6 quilt magazines last month, none of them have anything on the actual QUILTING in a quilt!

I don't want to stipple, stitch in the ditch, or do feathers. Help anyone? Thanks.

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,611 Posts
Points 119,380

MartiP:
Can someone suggest a book or other resource on choosing a quilting design that complements your piecework?

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but Laura Lee Fritz has a line of book on Continuous Line Quilting Designs. Mindful Meanderings and Creative Classics are both available at Amazon.com. Or just Google her name.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi MartiP, it is nice to meet you. For your quilt design - I just did an internet search for quilt stencil and a whole bunch came up. I'd love tho see a picture of what you come up with.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80
MartiP replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:47 AM

Thanks, Judy, I'll take a look!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80
MartiP replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:51 AM

Spudgrandma it's nice to meet you too. I've done that search. Yeah, lots of designs. I was hoping for something that gave artistic advice on how to choose a design that really enhanced the piecework.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,362 Posts
Points 242,307
Thea replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 6:58 AM

Marti, I would google quilting books - continuous line - or pantographs - there are several quilt companies that make pantographs that you could look at and pick out what design would work for you quilt and give you inspiration at the same time.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Hi. Here are some possibilities of books that breakdown the design aspect of choosing a quilting design

Listen to Your Quilt: Select the Perfect Quilting Every Time - 4 Simple Steps by Barbara Pershing

Quilt It! Quilting Ideas and Inspiration for Patchwork and Applique by Barbara Chainey. Even though this book was published in 1999 it is packed with design ideas. It shows many different designs for the same block, applique, or quilt, so you can see the difference the design choice makes.

Will you be doing the quilting on a domestic sewing machine, a mid arm or a long arm? I am asking because different designs types are easier to accomplish on different machines.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 9:19 AM

When I made my first quilt and hand quilted it, I designed my own quilting.  Because I named my quilt "Love in Blue" I needed an appropiate romantic design added to the quilt.  The nine patch blocks were outline stitched.  The borders were wavy lines for one set of blocks and hearts I made for the other set. 

Sometimes you just have to follow your own imagination and heart.  If you do what you personally like, the quilting will go fast and you will be happy to do the work.

This poor quilt was partially dismantled a couple times, once to enlarge and add an extra row, another time to change the border and add the sawtooth border.  Shown below.

I made several baby quilts with pinwheels using the same borders  (getting lots of practice)  The pinwheels I did different.  In the solid color I did ducks, rabbits, etc.  the other print sections I just outline quilted.

Just let you imagination be your guide!  Have fun while you are at your quilting!

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80
MartiP replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 12:01 PM

Denise, these sound EXCELLENT! Thank you! I am getting the Barbara Persing book right away.

Thanks for understanding my request. There are thousands of designs available, but how does one go about choosing one that really makes your quilt sing? You understood my question best.

I will be using a domestic sewing machine.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use