Quilt Pattern Question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 565
Kinsey posted on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:11 PM

I rarely use patterns other than those created by me. One of my friends had suggested I share them.  My question is: Should I find others willing to test the patterns before I share them?

They, of course, worked fine for me, but I knew what I wanted. Someone using the pattern may not see the "vision" of the final piece. Or perhaps I didn't explain something well enough...etc.

Thanks

Kinsey

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 12,345
Michelle replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 10:20 PM

That is wonderful. I am located in San Antonio, TX. Specifically the northwest area of town. Would love to know if anyone is also close to here. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 10:40 PM

I hope Debbie-Do sees your post.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 565
Kinsey replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 11:27 AM

Thanks Spudgrandma...I'll be sure to post images. I'll work on getting everything on the site figured out :D

Same here Kris. That's my huge worry. I've dealt with patterns that did nothing but confuse me and ended up using the image to make mine look similar. 

Melissa, MelodyP & Barbara, That would be wonderful. I've  never used testers, but I have done it before. So I'm hoping it won't be too difficult. The biggest thing is making sure the pattern is easily understood :D If you want, friend me here and I'll work on this stuff after the first of the year :D

Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 565
Kinsey replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 11:31 AM

MNnancy That is a great idea. I really wish we had something like that out here. There is a beginner quilter club/class that meets once a month at one of the local libraries. Maybe I could try there and see what options may be available.

Sukochi,

We have nothing like that out here :( It's so sad. I had thought of trying to start one, but I'm not even sure there's enough people that would even be interested. We're really rural.

Angele,

An online test day sounds fun too. Or make it into a project type thing where they have a month or two. Some of my patterns are a bit more difficult than others. I'd love the chance to get everyone's questions and make sure everything is clearly laid out in the final patterns.

Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 565
Kinsey replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 11:40 AM

Michelle,

I'm considering starting my own because there just aren't any out here. There's a once a month library quilter's meeting but it's really really beginner. There is a quilting class as an elective every other semester at the local public school, but again...that doesn't work for me. I'm considering contacting both instructors and seeing if there would be any response to an actual quilter's group.

Barbara, 

I've always wanted to do a retreat, but with my home obligations, I'll never be able to :(

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,653 Posts
Points 37,355
ls2116 replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 12:17 PM

can't wait to see your pattern!  I'm from Livonia Mi. and have very few sewing shops around me that is unless i want to drive for almost an hour.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 12,345
Michelle replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 12:40 PM

What ideas for starting your own are you thinking of? I would love to startup own, I only know 2 others that quilt, would you put a note up in the local quilt shops? 

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Hi Michelle, it is nice to meet you.

I'm assuming you are talking about doing quilting for others -  there are a couple of ladies on here who quilt for hire and I'm sure they will be along to help you out. Also there is a thread called Longarmers Share  and you can find someone there with lots of good info.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 565
Kinsey replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 2:45 PM

ls2116 -- same here...I think I have to drive at least 2 hours. And even then I'm not sure. Closest "big" town is 3 1/2 hours away.

Michelle...I'm thinking several directions here. I think I want to do an online forum type through my blog. I'm doing a monthly make project there as well as several others, so I'm wondering if I could work out an "across the miles" quilter's club of sorts. As for locally, I'm going to speak with the school instructor that teaches it as well as the library instructor. I'm going to put ads up at the library, schools, post office and other bulletin boards locally and see what type of response I can get. Then plan the first few meetings as one a month, perhaps moving them closer if time allows and there seems to be an interest.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 12,345

That's a good idea. I think after first of the year, I'll try the flyers in my local quilt shops and close stores just to see what response there is. Was hoping to find people close to where I live in San Antonio so they would be more likely to keep up. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you. 

Michelle B

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,342 Posts
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 8:39 PM

Accross the miles quilters club sounds interesting!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
653 Posts
Points 12,345
Michelle replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 10:05 PM

I like the across the miles. How would that work? 

Michelle B

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use