Top 10 Posters

Trim question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain posted on Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:03 PM

Recently I took a beginner's quilting class. Even though I've been quilting for over 2 years, it was suggested that I might learn something I haven't read or learned yet. Of course, in the first 1/2 hour, I learned something new. The question I have is do you all trim your blocks when you are finished or do you ease side and pieces that are not cut or sewn exactly correct. I hope that makes sense to you. I've been taught that each step with a block to square it and/or or trim to what the exact measurements are. Once your block is finished, then trim and/or square to the exact measurements like 10 1/2 or 12 1/2. What do you all think. I usually measure a little big so that I can trim to the correct size.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,468 Posts
Points 41,125
Mimi replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 8:50 PM

Melissa,

I know there are many sides to this question and I think you need to do what is most comfortable for you.  I tend to always square up everything I'm sewing.  If the flying geese rectangle is supposed to be 2 x 3 1/2 then I check it to make sure it is.  I square up all finished squares before I sew them together.  I also square up each border I attach.  It never is much off but each of those couple threads adds up after a while, throwing off the quilt.  I know lots of quilters that just ease the extra in.  But I'm not that exact a sewer and I feel better when I check the measurements.  JMHO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,511 Posts
Points 417,549
gini replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 9:13 PM

mostly i don't trim,  but sometimes i need to.  i a piece is really off, i remake it

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 9:18 PM

Melissa

Blocks probably should be squared as you go but I tend to be one of the lazy ones that just sew them together.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

Thank you all very much for your input. It really has helped me decide what I would like to do in the future. I so love this club.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
2,881 Posts
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:07 PM

Nana I'm same as you on this, but for some reason when I'm doing triangles then I recheck measures more.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 5:22 PM

I tend to measure the block only to make sure its square. Sometimes I don't have enough fabric to redo any extra blocks. I mostly just square them however if its a triangle or tricky pattern I tend to trim as I go. Because the more points and angles the harder it will be to get closer to the pattern you wanted if you don't do it as you go along.

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 4:44 PM

Mimi,

I am still learning and am finding that squaring as I go works best for me too. I am wondering if you have any experience with drunkard's path blocks. I am practicing and I see that when I go to square them I have to decide what sides to cut. I know that my pieces are all cut the same because I am using the accuquilt go cutter. The blocks are close but still a little off. The reason for the practice is because I always do that, but I have found that before I signed up on this site, I was doing a lot of trial and error that has already been done.

Any advise on how to measure to square up a drunkard's path block?

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,616 Posts
Points 247,292
Thea replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 5:00 PM

Melissa - I square up each piece as I go - I used to just try to ease them in but have found that this in the end causes more problems then i want to deal with - so I have learned to square them all up ....

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,468 Posts
Points 41,125
Mimi replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 10:54 AM

Judy:
Any advise on how to measure to square up a drunkard's path block?

First to say I've never done a drunkard's path block so I'm not familiar with the curved piecing and how it might skew the block.  But that being said, any block is a block.  I try to line up the diagonal line (45 degree line) on my acrylic ruler with the two opposite corners of my square before I trim (upper right and lower left) . I also do a lot of folding to find and mark the center of block sides.  I also try to be sure the center of the block is at the center of the ruler before I trim.( if 6 1/2 inches unfinished then the      3 1/4 line should run down the center of the block)  I fudge some on seam allowances after the block is trimmed noting when I'm going to have to sew part of the seam less than 1/4 inch usually with a Frixion pen since it irons out.  That's all the tricks I use and I hope I've written them clearly for good understanding.  Thanks for asking for my option.  Don't know that it's anything special or more than what others already do too.  Will we see the quilt soon?

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 11:20 AM

Thanks Mimi, Yes that is helpful. the tip about marking the block. I stick a pin there, like the pen idea. thak curve is a little tricky because you have to match centers and thn have a circle that matches around the edges of the circle. I can then square the large block. I have been putting off this challenge long enough.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Mon, Dec 24 2012 4:07 PM

I absolutely square everything up as I go. I don't like the aggravation of trying to make things fit that don't want to. Saves me the headache and helps my project run smoother, which makes me a happier quilter. I also try to cut and sew according to the measurements. Each step is as important as the next.  I give it a good try.

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 225

I recently finished my first pieced project, a table runner and placemats. The directions said to square up, but none of my pieces were big enough.  I ripped and resewed, and they still didn't meet the required size.  eventually I continued on.  Things came out pretty good, but not perfectly lined up.  I have now invested in a !/4 inch foot. Now if I can only bind this thing, it has interior corners.  Wish me luck!

-------------------------------

My apologies, I did not mean to post as a suggestion, and then I couldn't figure out how to delete.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use