Quilting Wool Fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 15,425
Carol from Pittsburgh posted on Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:16 PM

I just got an email that my order of Scottish tartan has been shipped. I'm really excited to receive it! My future SIL is very much into his Scottish heritage so I'm going to make him a quilt using the tartan of his ancestors' clan. I've also ordered a couple yards of the tartan from my ancestors' clan to combine SIL's with daughter's in the quilt. Anyway... I've never quilted wool. Does anyone have an advice? Is there anything special I should know? I use a Gammill with Statler Stitcher.

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,805

I have seen wool quilts but have not paid attention to the quilting. Come to think of it I am not sure there was quilting. They were just peiced, I think. Go to the Primitive Gatherings website. They sell wool for quilting and have question and answer areas, I believe.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 15,425

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

I have seen wool quilts but have not paid attention to the quilting. Come to think of it I am not sure there was quilting. They were just peiced, I think. Go to the Primitive Gatherings website. They sell wool for quilting and have question and answer areas, I believe.

Thanks, I'll check there. I appreciate your help! Have a good evening.[

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I don't have a clue about quilting wool, but I would love to see your fabric when it arrives!!!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 15,425

Ok. When the fabric comes in, I can scan it and post it in this thread. I didn't think to order the tartan for my family  until a week after I ordered the tartan for future SIL's. So the second one might take another week.

I ended up sending an email to the guy at the company where I bought my machine to see if he has any advice about quilting wool. But, please, if anyone here can help out I would appreciate it!

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 35

Woolen fabric made out of virgin wool, recycled wool and blended fibers are used for making quilting.In last winters i bought wool fabric which is too soft and made with high quality wool.Its giving the warmth in winters.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:39 AM

Hi Stephie, I see that you are a brand new member to QCA.  Welcome to the group.

I do have several wool pieces I have been thinking about making into a quilt.  I wash my quilts occasionally and wonder if I should shrink the wool first.  Or is there another way to clean them?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 15,425

Patti:
I wash my quilts occasionally and wonder if I should shrink the wool first.  Or is there another way to clean them?

In doing some online research, I found a lot of people who advise washing the wool before sewing it. Supposedly, it makes it sturdier- denser- and less likely to come apart at the seams. Some also advise using a 1/2" seam. I emailed the guy from the company where I bought my machine and asked if there's anything special I should do when quilting the wool. He said, " I have always heard that wool quilts great. The few times I've used it I really liked it. Nothing special at all, it quilts up great."

I'm not going to washmine first. I don't want to shrink it and possibly lose some of the tartan pattern. Some of the colors in the plaid might not show. I feel a little less nervous about quilting the wool after hearing from an expert that I don't have to do anything special with it!  Can't wait for the fabric to arrive!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Stephie, it is nice to meet you. Thanks for sharing the link.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
gini replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:58 PM

patti, woo shrinks a lot.  i prewash/felt all my wool before i use it.  

i love quilting on wool.   i've done a couple of  purses, a quilt and a wall hanging.   i use my DM and didn't do anything different.    i have also used an old sweater in place of batting.   it sews up beautifully.   

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
gini replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:59 PM

gini:
patti, woo shrinks a lot.

see, it shrinks so much, it even loses letters

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 15,425

gini:

gini:
patti, woo shrinks a lot.

see, it shrinks so much, it even loses letters

LOL !!! 

Does the wool look the same after it's washed?  I'm nervous about this again now. Thinking about it, it may need to be washed just to get the scent out of it. This is expensive fabric and I really don't want to take any chances with it. The wool you have used, and washed, did it have a pattern in it or was it a solid fabric?  I don't have mine yet so I really don't know what it's like, other than the picture that I saw online.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
gini replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:31 PM

carol, i get my wool from the thrift shops, mostly.  i deconstruct the clothes and throw them in the washer and dryer.  i have felted all kinds of wool. thick wool, thin wool, the wool from different kinds of sheepish animals.  i have felted patterned and plain.  wool shrinks a lot.   if you are planning on not felting it first, the quilt will need to be  treated like wool clothes and dry-cleaned.  once it is felted it has shrunk all it is going to shrink.

the fibers of wool are kinky.  as i understand it, when you felt the wool.  water relaxes the fiber, and allows it to kink back up the way it naturally would.  felting makes the wool cloth become much more dense.   this is a relative term.   the fibers, even though they have wound themselves into a gazillion little knots after felting, are still not as tightly woven as cotton.   i'm not explaining this well.   think about the size of the threads used in woolen clothes.    even the finest wool thread will not be as thin as cotton.  this leaves much more space for the needle and it is very easy to sew.  i liken it to cutting through hot butter, as compared to sewing on cotton.  your hand needle will meet little to no resistance. the sewing machine goes through this like a breeze.  it's because of all those teensy little empty spaces of air warming up, that make wool a warm cloth

so you really need to decide is you want to make a quilt that needs to be dry-cleaned, not a big deal, or have the ability to be washed with water.  the wool will look the same, just be more dense and depending on the wool, it can be very noticeable or not.   cut a small piece out of it, maybe 6 inches square and felt it to see how much it is going to shrink on you and whether you like it.   don't be afraid of it.

let me know if this answers your questions?   if you have any more, i'll see if i can answer them. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
811 Posts
Points 15,425

Gini, Thank you so much! You explained it all very well. I don't know yet if I'm going to wash it first. After I design the quilt, I'll see how much fabric I'll need. I only have 2 yds of one of the tartans. The other tartan hasn't arrived yet, but it's going to be 2 yds, too. If I have a lot left over, I'll test wash it and see what happens. If my design needs most of the 2 yds of each fabric, I'm not going to even test wash a piece of it. I really appreciate everyone's help here.

Here's one of the tartans. It's Gunn Ancient.

Not Ranked
Female
26 Posts
Points 565
Kinsey replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:26 PM

How neat. I'm working on a clan quilt as well (although mine if for myself and I plan to have it ready in time for a trip to Scotland). As mentioned above it will shrink (generally). So I prewash. However, I've only used it in the place of batting when wanting a really warm quilt. I've not tried to use it as a top. When I use it as backing, I always still line it so it still ends up being on the inside of the quilt

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use