Top 10 Posters

Does anyone know anything about making a quillow?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
32 Posts
Points 1,455
pat posted on Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:08 AM

I'm a beginner to sewing and quilting trying to become an overnight professional,lol.we received a quillow for my grandaughter's baby shower she used it till it fell apart at about 13 y/o.anyway it's a small blanket as used in preschool for naps with the top approx.half the width of the blanket you fold the blanket roll it up and push it into the pillow material and it becomes a pillow,could use any help on this if anyone has made one,googled it ,it helped but not enough for me,a newbie to understand,lots of babies being born in our family,would be a wonderful gift,any help would be appreciated,thanks again

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
709 Posts
Points 13,830

The only thing I have is a pattern in Fons & Porter Love of Quilting magazine Jan/Feb 2007 issue. They have that same pattern as a video on the F&P web site, but you have to be a "member" to view it. It's $2.99 / month. Here's the link to that page:

http://video.fonsandporter.com/videos/2087_learn-how-to-make-a-quillow/

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 50

Hi Pat,  Here is a great tutorial with pictures:  http://acuppaandacatchup.com/2011/05/quillow-tutorial/

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 50

Here is a great tutorial with pictures:  http://acuppaandacatchup.com/2011/05/quillow-tutorial/

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,749 Posts
Points 38,840
ls2116 replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:33 AM

I haven't seen video or heard of quillow before but from your description I'd probably make a pillow case and attach a kids size quilt to it and when done I'd have sewed on ribbon for tieing the roll up.  Good luck but I'd check fons & porter video 1st.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,430 Posts
Points 243,422
Thea replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 11:12 AM

Pat - quillows can be very elaborate or very simple.  It started years ago with women practicing for whole cloth quilting... they didn't want their work to be just junk - so someone thought of making a pillow out of it.  

You take a piece of material and use the whole width - you usually use 2 yards of fabric and cut off 12 inches...you take 2 pieces right sides together with a batting - then you sew all the way around the piece leaving a 6" opening to turn... once you turn it right side out - press press press - then fmq to your hearts content... those 12" pieces that you had left - you do the same thing... you then take this piece and attach it on 3 sides to the bottom middle of the larger piece - you then turn it upside down - fold in thirds with this pocket piece... you then fold it up and put it into the opening and wahlah you have a pillow.

Quilters got very elaborate after the first ones were made and did scrappy blocks and other things with the pocket... but that is the general idea.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Pat and I'm glad you came back. I have made 8 quillows, I used the pattern in the F&P magazine that someone else referenced. They were very easy, the only problem I had was that I used flannel and the batting I used was a bit too lofty, but they still worked. I had to make the envelope (for lack of a better word) part larger than the pattern called for to get all the bulk I created :) stuffed in. I did not piece mine except for the envelope part. Again, they are not really difficult and you will do fine.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 200 Contributor
320 Posts
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:26 PM

If you are a QNN member is a link to the same video by fons and porter.

http://www.qnntv.com/videos/2092-learn-everything-about-a-one-seam-block/

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use