rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star Posted: Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:55 AM

Hello All,

I thought this might be the place I could vent a little about a poor longarm quilting experience. I always used to quilt all my quilts myself on my Bernina, but started taking them to be quilted by a longarm quilter. This lady is wonderful and has become my friend. I appreciate her skills and attention to detail even more now.

My friend is in the middle of selling her house, so the longarm is in storage. I had another lady quilt my latest quilt since it is a gift and I needed it done. This was a king size quilt. The new lady, who also runs a quilt shop, used the wrong batting, I supplied my own, but she did not use it. I just wanted a meander pattern, but she used the wrong size meander. I wanted medium, she used the largest she could. The pattern is not centered, it runs off one side and does not go to the edge of the other side. The quilt was pulled out of square, and there are several puckers!! To add insult to injury, she also charged me 25% more than quoted because she forgot to measure the quilt to confirm measurements before giving me the quote.

Needless to say I will not be taking anymore quilts to this lady. If the quilt was too big for her, 100 x 100, I wish she would have declined to do the quilting.

I will wait for my friend to be back in business after the move if I finish anymore quilts that I will not be quilting myself. I was probably spoiled by the wonderful job of longarm quilting my friend does. Never a pucker, pattern exactly what was agreed on, trimmed and basted on the edges.

Thank you to anyone who actually read my post. I just wanted to vent for a bit. The quilt will be delivered on Tuesday and any deficiencies will probably not be noted by my non-quilting friend.

I also want to thank all the longarm quilters out there who do a great job and treat each quilt like it is your own.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,801
Points 352,057
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:58 AM

Star,

what a horrible experience. I would not have paid her any more than her original price quote. She won't be having many repeat customers with that kind of service. I hope your friend is soon up and running again.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 4:56 AM

Star,

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.  Did you and this person have the terms in writing?

If you ever decide to send work out again get everything in writing, on company letter head if available and signed.  This way you have a leg to stand on if you want to take legal action.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:10 AM

Thanks. The lady did write up a work order when I dropped the quilt off. I did not get a copy, but watched her write everything down, and double checked when I signed.

No legal action, I just wanted my quilt and to get out of there.

Ugh....

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,093
Points 14,135
Dawn replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 6:51 AM

So very sorry you had this mess to deal with.  It is sad when you find those few who just don't care about others quilts.  Hoping your friend gets going again soon!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:44 AM

Star,  I am with you.  I am so sorry that you had this bad experience with that long arm quilter.  Sounds like  she really doesn't know what she is doing.   I had a bad experience with one also.   She said she couldn't quilt my quilt because it had too much extra fabric in many places.  That was not the case,it was a foundation pieced quilt that laid absolutely flat until it was folded and where the folds came together it wasn't laying flat.  All she had to do was press it with an iron and charge me for doing it.    But at least it didn't get done improperly.   Sorry for your experience.    Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:35 AM

This is probably why I will never make a lot of money on longarm quilting.  I do spend too much time with each quilt making sure it is what the customer wants.  One of my quilters in my quilt ministry brought a quilt to our quilt day Saturday to show everyone.  She had it done at the local quilt shop (which I love! but they are new to longarming and they have a computerized system.)  When we were looking at it, I noticed where the stitching did not go to the edge in one spot and there was a rip in the fabric about 1 inch in from the edge.  I don't know how you could not notice that as the longarmer but my friend was not told anything.  I told her she should have come to me.  LOL  I think she will next time.  You have to be quality-minded if you are working for others!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 9:00 AM

Star What a awful experience, I have never used a long arm or sent mine out.  I have seen some beautiful work though , I do all my own ON my Janome .  I hope your friend gets back in business soon.  You can vent here anytime..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

I am so sorry about the experience you had.  She should have picked it out and re-done it for you at no extra charge.  The local quilt shop here does a fabulous job, but occasionally they will goof.  I've been in there a couple of times when they are sitting around the large counter unpicking a quilt that wasn't up to the customer's standard.  One they accidentally used the wrong stippling pattern (the customer wanted loops and they used meander).  So three women spent two days getting it all picked out, ironed and then done again at no extra charge to the customer.  THAT is the kind of service that keeps customers coming back. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,929
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:13 AM

Star - I am sorry that you had such a horrible experience.  I know I would have - like you - just picked it up and not said anything to her - but we should - they are doing a business and getting paid money for it.  We don't get paid when we do a bad job and we get fired from our jobs if we do bad work.  I have quite a few friends who are long arm quilters and they do wonderful work and care about the job that they do.  We have one that is now a great long armer - but in the beginning she wasn't - she told you upfront that she was brand new and learning.  I know that she sat and picked out tons of thread because of mistakes until she learned to do it correctly.  she has a statler stitcher so she isn't right over top of it watching it do its work.  This cost her a lot but she was kind enough to do this.  It does not  hurt the quilt to take those stitches out too... I am not sure you know this but if you hold your quilt up to the light after it is quilted - all those little holes show through and you can see where stitches have been picked out... but those holes will recede in time so it is okay to take them out.  

I know it is hard for all of us - as I have found more very nice people that are quilters then those type of people who say "do it over " or " I am not paying for your shoddy work"  but we really need to toughen up and make those few poor long armers aware of their inadequacies and have them correct their mistakes.  

I am so so so very sorry that this happened to you!  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

What an awful experience Star and it is even worse because this was a gift. I think you have handled it very well. I also a agree with whoever said to get it all in writing, at the very least you should not have had to pay for the extra she charged you for her mistake.. 

I also wanted to say Hi as I don't think we have met

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 5:16 PM

Wow, what a horrible experience. 

I am so blessed, I have a shop that does great quilting and a dear friend, who belongs to my church quilting club who also does beautiful work.  Both are LAQ'ers and they are very precise as to what they can and will do and what the charges will be. 

I pray you never have to experience this tragic mess again.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 6:17 PM

You know, Star, as I have read all this, I feel such hurt in my heart. We make these quilts with so much love, are so careful that all is done right. To, then, have such a thing happen just makes me sick. I think, to help the next quilter who uses her servicewithout knowing the kind of work she does,  you should tell her just how unhappy you are about the shoddy workmanship. I would let others in your quilting community know of your experience and just who did it. Quilts are definalety not cheap to have quilted, and they are, certainly, not cheap to make. For this lady to make something you took to her to quilt for you, and make it less then it was when you took it in there is without excuse. I hope you got your batting back. For a quilt that large, that amount of batting was costly. I agree that, if you do not know the quilter well and have not ever seen her work, I would get the estimate in writing signed by her. That way, if push comes to shove, you can shove her right in front of Judge Judy...and WIN!.

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Dear Star, venting is good for your blood pressure. We do not need extra stress over a hard worked project such as a quilt. As stated our work is defining of who we are, our tops are prized and the LAQer should be aware of that. Knowing she could not do or want to do the job correctly, she should have just been straight with you, or called be fore the job to tell you the final costs & get approval. and why the heck would she not use your batting? I recently took three quilts home not finished from a LAQ who has been in business for several years, I was not impressed with her job on my queen size, therefore I paid our agreed price an removed my others from her list. They will stay in my closet of UFOs until I find a new service. I paid $175.00 and brought my backing straighted, trimmed and pressed as well as my own batting. That made for a queen quilt, still needing binding, costing over $350. Binding service is $65.00. I am unable to do my own finishing on anything over a throw size, because of my hands cramped with arthritis. Darn her for taking liberties with your quilt.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 7:46 PM

That sounds horrible. Guess that is why I quilt my own at least if I make a mistake I can try to remedy it myself and learn at the same time. I have never did biz with a longarmer but my sister in law has and has had no issues. I actually like fmq but I am not overall good at it and my schedule is all messed up so I can't do practicing like I want to.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use