rated by 0 users
This post has 73 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 9:22 PM

Rose

I am so glad that you are still able to enjoy your craft.  I agree that kits definitely have their place in the quilting community.  Hope you continue to chat with us and would love to see pics of your creations.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

It appears that quite a bit of discussion and varied opinions have been generated.

Do kits have a place in our Quilt World - absolutely!  I definitely agree they teach skills, show color choices and are fast.

Do kits belong in a juried quilt show?  Perhaps as a special section, but totally agree that seeing the same thing executed for 20 to 30 pieces is boring.  The last show I attended showed the same wall hanging, same fabrics but embellished differently.  That was interesting to see how creative quilters are.

Do I do kits?  Definitely!  BUT I'm a person who takes what is given and changes to suit my creative process.  I have a problem with color choices so kits work for me.  But what really stimulates my creativity is taking the block and adding embroidery, borders, or embellishments to make it mine.

Deborah, Bethany Oklahoma

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:38 AM

Deborah

Your use of kits sounds really neat.  Would love to see pictures of your completed projects.  I also see that this is a first post so welcome.  We love having new people join us.  Please chat with us frequently....we like hearing about you and your quilts.  Have fun with the site and again please join in our discussions.  As you have probably noticed we will chat about anything....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I have just gotten my first quilt kit and it was a rag quilt. Wonderful colors and great instructions. I love to make quilts but have to have my husband pick the colors because that is something that I am not good at, so i really feel quilt kits will save me the stress of picking out colors that go together.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 7:59 PM

Welcome to QCA, Kitty!  Have fun making your new kit, and if you like how it turns out, think about posting a picture of it here.  We love to ooh and ahh over each other's work.  It keeps us inspired to keep quilting!  (Nice of your husband to take an interest in your hobby!)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 100
CarolynT replied on Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:59 AM

Dear LadyRags,

I agree with you that duplicate quilts made from a kit do not belong in a quilt show, but kits do have their place. They're good for the beginner who is just learning how to choose fabric and patterns. Someone new to quilting can get their feet wet without too much anxiety about choices. They serve as a good introduction, and perhaps as an inspiration to make a companion quilt without the kit.

It sounds to me as though your shop owner wanted to have a show but didn't have enough entries. So blame the bad judgment on the shop owner, not on the kits.

Carolyn

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Wed, Feb 17 2010 11:04 AM

Sally, Rose, Deborah, kittyms & CarolynT-2 - welcome to all of you! Glad you joined in on a discussion.  As someone else already said, we love having new people join! Hope you take some time to check out the forums and join in on other discussions. We do love to see eachother's work and find out what others are up to - quilting or not.  Have fun on QCA :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 17 2010 11:05 AM

Carolyn

Perfect response.  I see that this is your first post so I want to welcome you to the forums.  Please chat with us frequently.  We love meeting new people and learning about them and their quilts.  And we really love pictures to oooh and aaah over. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

I guess I will toss my two cents worth into this conversation. I have bought several kits, because I loved the quilt and wanted to do one like it. If I had seen the pattern and loved it like it was pictured I would go out and pick out the fabric that was very like the pattern. So that is pretty much the same thing as buying a kit. But I also like picking out my own fabric and making a quilt that is totally my own. Most of my individual quilts are scrappy quilts. Those are my favorite quilts to make. But I also agree that seeing half a quilt show with the same quilts would not be fun. I have been to a show that displayed quilts made by a group of women and they were all alike. On the other hand, two of my dearest friends and I have made a couple of quilts where we shared fabric, used the same pattern, and used our own fabric placement, and they turned out very much alike. We have displayed them at our guild quilt show, but it is not a judged show. And there were only three of them alike. Also, we do a block of the month quilt every year in our guild, and often we all show them at the show, and they are all hung together, but they are all so different that sometimes you have to look closely to see that they are the same pattern. So I am for kits, picking out your own fabric, and duplicating a pattern if you love it. I say do what you want and have fun with it. That is what quilting is all about. Having fun with it. And if a kit is fun for you, go for it.

Elaine Phillips, Kansas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:22 PM

I totally agree with Elaine. I think kits have a place in the quilting process - you may, as Elaine said, really like the fabric choice or you may, as is the case with me, want to make an elephant (pick whatever) wall hanging and there's no way you'd get the fabric choices like are in the kit.

While it may be disconcerting to you to see many quilts done exactly alike, my thought is these may be new quilters. If so, they're obviously very pleased of the final products. It's OK to hang them together, I think.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is there is a place for everything in a show. I admire people who enter quilts. It's something I've never done. It drives me nuts when the "quilt police" start in about all the things that aren't acceptable. It's the reason many of us don't belong to guilds. Who wants to be constantly judged when they're doing something that's suppose to be fun? Not me!

It seems to me that if it bothers whomever that quilts from kits are displayed in a show, that person or people need to talk to the organizers and suggest that kit quilts will not be accepted; or the kits and group quilts could be hung in one area and the rest of the quilts could be hung in a different area.

Finally, I do not believe kits are "killing creativity". Some of the most creative pieces I've made were from kits. :-)

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I don't often buy kits because they all turn out the same.Once in a while I do use a kit If I'm being lazy but usually I like to pick my own fabrics. I  like to see a quilt show when the same pattern is used and everyone uses their own combinations.It's amazing how different they all look.

Devlin Quilter 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:13 PM

btrim672@msn.com:
I  like to see a quilt show when the same pattern is used and everyone uses their own combinations.It's amazing how different they all look.

Isn't that the truth!  It inspires me to be more daring with my choices and try to think outside the box.

Welcome to QCA, Devlin Quilter!  We hope you'll share more opinions with us.  We love a good discussion!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 95

I am a bit of a snob about quilt kits . . . and also about "quilting by check"!  Personally, I think, to say you "made a quilt", you do everything yourself !   Hand-quilting is becoming obsolete and should be treasured more than machine quilting.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 8:41 AM

wightdavis

I see that this is a first post.  I want to welcome you to the site and hope that you enjoy.  If you have a moment we would love to hear more about you and your quilts.  I love meeting new people and chatting about anything and everything.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 10:35 AM

wight-davis,  i had to quit hand quilting  and hand piecing for years because of carpal tunnel.  some of those machine, pieced and quilted,  quilts are pretty amazing.     gini

gini in north idaho

Page 4 of 5 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use