Binding a kind of scalloped edge

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,599 Posts
Points 119,065
Judy Taylor-Bellingham posted on Fri, Dec 7 2012 7:40 PM

I'm ready to put the binding on the Owl in the Round table topper. I've never done binding for a shape like this and am hoping for some help. I thought I'd cut a bias binding, 2" wide and folded. I know how to do 45 degree angles but what about this one? I Googled but everything was for scalloped edges (and said not to cut the scallop until the binding was attached) and this is just slightly scalloped.

Can I ease the binding, should I cut it narrower? There are three layers; backing, thin batting and top.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,372 Posts
Points 175,018
Marie replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:04 PM

Judy your owl topper is beautiful, love it.  Can't answer your question but Eleanor burns has a good tutorial on it.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

Hi Judy, I have done a scalloped edge.  I cut a 2 inch binding on the bias, once folded you can ease it aroound your edge.  Your scallops are not very deep so you should have not trouble easing them in.  You will probably need to ease the back buty it is pretty easy to do when you hand stitch.  TYhe topper is super cute

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,599 Posts
Points 119,065

Elizabeth:

Hi Judy, I have done a scalloped edge.  I cut a 2 inch binding on the bias, once folded you can ease it aroound your edge.  Your scallops are not very deep so you should have not trouble easing them in.  You will probably need to ease the back buty it is pretty easy to do when you hand stitch.  TYhe topper is super cute

Thanks Elizabeth, that's what I was hoping. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Love your owls they are so cute. Try this video...   Scallops

It may answer some of your questions...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,599 Posts
Points 119,065

Marie:

Judy your owl topper is beautiful, love it.  Can't answer your question but Eleanor burns has a good tutorial on it.

Thanks Marie, it was so much fun. I think my granddaughter is going to love it for her home.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,599 Posts
Points 119,065

Spudgrandma:

Love your owls they are so cute. Try this video...   Scallops

It may answer some of your questions...

Spud, this was perfect! Thank you so much. I wouldn't have thought of clipping the inside edges of the quilt scallops before putting on the binding. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:48 PM

judy, since this is a table topper, i wouldn't do a double binding.  it will be easier to do a single fold and the edges won't get so much use that they will need it.   the reason for the double folded binding is to give extra support on a quilt's edge, with all the tugging and pulling. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,599 Posts
Points 119,065

gini:

judy, since this is a table topper, i wouldn't do a double binding.  it will be easier to do a single fold and the edges won't get so much use that they will need it.   the reason for the double folded binding is to give extra support on a quilt's edge, with all the tugging and pulling. 

Gini, I've never done a single fold binding. At least, I don't think I have.  Wouldn't it stretch and wouldn't I have to turn under an edge on the back?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
231 Posts
Points 3,565
Pat replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:28 PM

Love  the owl  table topper...beautiful

Pat   From Canada

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,717 Posts
Points 38,350
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:10 PM

I haven't done scallops yet so i'm no help , but your topper has a vintage appeal its adorable!

Quilting My Rainbow

replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:15 PM

This is so freakin cute Judy!!  You have already gotten great advice on binding.  I just cut Bias binding. It just goes on smooth. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,280 Posts
Points 28,950
Agnes replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 9:12 AM

Judy--Very cute and good advice on the binding. I have always used a double fold 2" cut bias binding without any difficulty on round or scalloped edges.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:02 PM

yes it does stretch, that's what you want on a curved edge, that's the reasoning behind the bias binding.   you treat the single fold the same as the double fold, you just don't fold it in half first.  it should be easier to work with on the curved edge. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,599 Posts
Points 119,065

gini:

yes it does stretch, that's what you want on a curved edge, that's the reasoning behind the bias binding.   you treat the single fold the same as the double fold, you just don't fold it in half first.  it should be easier to work with on the curved edge. 

Thanks Gini. I did go ahead and bind it with the double fold. I cut it on the bias. There wasn't much curved to this pattern so it worked well. I didn't even have to quilt, I appliqued through all layers and then did a decorative stitch down the seams. I think my granddaughter will like this for her home.

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use