Top 10 Posters

Newbie needs help

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140
MrsBecky posted on Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:10 PM

Hi everyone.  I am fairly new at free motion quilting.  I have a brother SE 400 and I am trying to free motion quilt a small quilt on this machine.  However, I am confused on which foot to use.  My machine did not come with a walking foot but I have been told that I could use a darning foot.  What is the darning foot for this machine.  I thought it was the embroidery foot Q but I have not been able to confirm that.    Thanks

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

The Brother has a quilting foot, SA129 Clear Quilting Foot, which is the same as a darning foot.  It looks like the Q foot would work as well.  You just need to be able to see what you are stitching.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi MrsBecky, it is nice to meet you. You would use the quilting foot that Jeanine told you about or a darning foot for FMQ, the walking foot could be used if you were doing straight lines or squares, but you don't have to have the walking foot to do that either, it just makes the fabric feed even with the layers. Good luck with your project!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

BTW, there is a FMQ Group that might have more answers for you. Fear-No-More FMQ

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140

Thank you so much.  I thought I was doing something wrong.  This is the first quilt I have done on this machine.  I have a Viking Diamond that I just hate using for quilting because the thread keeps breaking or the back side looks like what I call "railroad tracks"   The Brother has a much smaller space to work with but I don't have the headache like I do with the diamond.   

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 140

Thanks... I just checked that out and posted there about my Viking issues as well..    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,822 Posts
Points 248,574

Mrs, Becky come on over to the FMQ qroup and well try and help you with you machine problems on your viking . We will see what we can work out for you . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use