Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 780
Betty Wojtowicz Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:16 AM

My niece is going to start quilting next month after she moves into a new apartment.  She's chosen a floral pattern from the Enchanted Garden collection from Moda, with rose, lilac and yellow for accents.  She's asked my husband and I to help her choose a pattern.  We were thinking Churn Dash or Hole in the Barn Door with different color accents in each square.  If anyone has any suggestions, we'd be greatly appreciative!!!

You can see the fabric collections at www.modafabrics.com under current collection  Enchanted Gardens..

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Betty

Betty

Soddy Daisy, TN

• | Post Points: 65
replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:23 AM

Trip around the world. Is a great pattern for beginners.  Quilters Cache has two versions of the pattern.  When my daughter started she went to this site and made a beautiful Quilt.    Hope you posts Pics after she finishes.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Betty, I really like Log Cabin and they are really easy, it was the first block I made. Irish Chain is easy also.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 903
Points 17,100

Hi, Betty!

I agree with Spud. Log cabin is so easy and very forgiving- easy to square up without losing anything. Once all the blocks are made, there are so many ways to arrange them to get a lot of different looks to the quilt. Definitely log cabin!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,921
Points 124,990

Carol from Pittsburgh:
Log cabin is so easy and very forgiving- easy to square up without losing anything. 

Yes, log cabin. It was my first "real" pieced quilt umpteen years ago and I still have it. No quilting as I stitched it together through all layers.  It's giving me the urge to make another log cabin, maybe out of the Christmas fabrics for next year.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Log Cabin was one of my first and I loved doing it.

MelodyP

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 8:36 AM

I started with a block of the month maybe something with fusible applique for her next block after first. I liked learning that way as it taught you most of the basics.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 780

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I had been thinking along the lines of log cabin because that was the block I had used for my first quilt.  After I posted my question, my husband found a block in Marsha McCloskey's Block Party.  It's called Cross Country and is a variation of the log cabin.  It uses the four colors and has a larger center block for the floral pattern.  Now I have myself confused!!!!!  Thanks again for all your help.  I greatly appreciate it.  Time to hit EQ7 and see what looks best.

Betty

Soddy Daisy, TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 9:54 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Yes, log cabin. It was my first "real" pieced quilt umpteen years ago and I still have it. No quilting as I stitched it together through all layers.  It's giving me the urge to make another log cabin, maybe out of the Christmas fabrics for next year.

Judy, I have material I plan to use for a log cabin and would like to quilt it myself so this sounds like a good idea. Would you share with me how to stitch the blocks together through all layers and then join?

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,921
Points 124,990

Bev :
Judy, I have material I plan to use for a log cabin and would like to quilt it myself so this sounds like a good idea. Would you share with me how to stitch the blocks together through all layers and then join?

Bev, I have a book someplace but I'll try to put it in a nutshell. I used 2-1/2" strips of darks and lights plus a 2-1/2" square for the starting center. Let's see if I can make sense of this from memory...

Oh, heck, forget the memory. I tell you what. When I get home later today, I'll dig out the instructions so I have some idea of what I'm talking about. It's really simple actually. Start with a square of backing laid right side down, a square of batting on top of that. You lay the starting square in the center and start sewing down your strips around and around. But, I'll get you better instructions later today. Late for work if I don't hustle.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 40,955
ls2116 replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:37 AM

If its her 1st I don't recommend pineapple that was my first !  What about attick window or card tricks.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,921
Points 124,990

Bev :

Bev, I'll give this a try. I made my first log cabin using this method, from a pamphlet called Marilyn's Machine Stitched Sew Simple Quilts. These finish about a 20" square.

For each block:

Cut backing and batting 22" square. 

Cut one 4-1/2" square of medium fabric

Cut 2-1/2" strips of a variety of fabrics (I used 4 light fabrics, 4 dark fabrics and 1 medium fabric center)

Lay backing face down, layer batting on top

Find center of piece (draw a line from corner to corner making an X)

Pin  4-1/2" center square so it is centered.

Lay first light strip face down and stitch along right side. Turn over and finger press, trim off excess

Lay second light strip face down so it crosses the bottom of the center block and the bottom of the first strip

Finger press open and trim off excess.

Continue around, alternating 2 light and 2 dark until you've used all 8 fabrics. You will end up with 4 dark strips on the left, 4 dark on the top, 4 light on the right and 4 light on the bottom

When You've made the number of blocks needed for whatever size quilt you want, trim to size and sew the blocks together. I sewed the top seams and hand sewed the bottom seams together. If I used this method again, I would machine stitch the bottom seams.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not good at directions and I'm reluctant to scan the pages (there are over 50 pages) because of copy-write issues.

If you have a log cabin pattern, you could use the measurements but sew together this way. No quilting, but you do have the seams on the back to contend with.

I do see this book on eBay 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 7:12 PM

Thank you so much Judy for posting the how to on the log cabin! And I will check out the book on Ebay..

from TN

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Sat, Dec 22 2012 8:16 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Bev :

Bev, I'll give this a try. I made my first log cabin using this method, from a pamphlet called Marilyn's Machine Stitched Sew Simple Quilts. These finish about a 20" square.

I do see this book on eBay 

Judy, thanks for the info on the book. I did buy this and plan on starting a log cabin quilt after the first of the year. Thanks again!

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,921
Points 124,990

Bev :

Judy, thanks for the info on the book. I did buy this and plan on starting a log cabin quilt after the first of the year. Thanks again!

Bev, you are so welcome. We'll look forward to pictures of your quilt next year.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use