Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,570
Donna Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:03 PM

Hi All,  I want to thank all of you whose love and encouragement have validated my decision to renew in QCA.  I look forward to getting to know you better.  Is anyone making quilt tops for the 'Quilts of Valor' foundation?  I feel a call to complete a project for them each month in 2013.  If you're already involved or would like to be involved I would welcome any suggestions.  Hugs, Donna in Oregon

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:36 PM

Donna,

there is a "Quilts of Valor" group here on QCA. Check it out you might find some inspiration/suggestions from past posts.

When you go to the group click on "Discussions" at the top you'll see "Sorting and filtering"; click there then change the "with date" window to "show all". you'll see all the topics in the group.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Donna.. You have really taken on a project for yourself. I cannot wait to see pictures of your quilts as you finish them. As Kris said, the QOV group would be a great place to start, don't forget to click on the join group so that you can post. I look forward to seeing your quilts. I may have asked this before, but where in Oregon?  I'm close to Ontario but you are probably on the other side of the state.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 6:24 AM

Donna, I am not sure we have met. Hi and wlecome. And, God Bless you!! What a wonderful thing you are doing.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 9:34 AM

Donna,my guild here at home is doing QOV. We Have one started and one more to do . We are using one of the patterns out of the F&P  Love of Quilting  Magazine.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,339
Points 241,892
Thea replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:09 AM

I love the idea of the QOV project - but to tell you the truth as a retired USAF person and I have a wide base of friends that are still active and retired and injured... I have yet to know one who has received one of these quilts - so I am sorry but I for one will not be making one of these quilts till I find someone whom I know has received one.  It is a great project and the military members who gave of their lives for each day - gave up those hours - 24/7 we were on call and never knew when we might be called into harms way.  I volunteered and went when the fighting was going on and the country of Yugoslavia was broken up into 7 small states - I heard the automatic fire going off around me and had to wear civilian clothes while I was over there because we wore the blue hats of the United Nations while there and we were not welcome because the UN had run away when those people were needed most.  I know many of the army girls that were there for over a year - many in harms way every day.  I don't believe one of those girls has received one of these quilts - thousands upon thousands of these quilts have been made and the only time I see them given out is when a celebrity needs some face time.  It bothers me a lot - I gave 21 years of my life to making sure that the needs of civilians were guaranteed.  I am a 100% disabled vet due to my time in Croatia.  I was 20 miles from Milosevic who used chemical warfare on his people - and it is thought that it drifted right across to the capital of Zagred where I was controlling aircraft flying into the zone.  It is thought that that might be why my body is riddled with pain today and why a very healthy woman all of a sudden was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis... Do I sound just a little bitter - well yes - I want very much to be behind this project and applaud those who are involved - but get the quilts to those who deserve them - look for those members of the military that are out now and have given of their lives to make sure that you could live this wonderful soft life that you live here in America.  

I'm sorry and will get off my soap box now but it is hard to watch so many who are forgotten.  Barbara's son deserves one of these quilts.  and there are so many like him out there - forgotten in their homes - they gave to allow the rest of us to continue being free here - yes I said I'd get off my soap box but guess there was more inside of me that just needed to get out.  If you are in charge of one of these programs - go to the VA and find those people who are on that list that do not come into the VA for treatment - aren't there getting daily care but whom are in their homes and not out in the public eye anymore but gave of their time to make sure that you could be here.

Military members who take care of you on a daily basis - the E-4 and below - they have worked at their jobs for at least 4 years and make less then the minimum wage - if they are married they are eligible for food stamps and assistance programs - why is this - why do we pay our military so badly when they give of life and limb for us.  

I am sorry but I really need to just stop as this is truly upsetting me - I see beautiful programs like this and wonder when they are going to get to the soldiers sailors and airmen - I know it is hard to get one to all that deserve them and every member of the service needs something like this - and then I look at congress and the president getting ready to cut the military budget again by almost 1/2 a billion dollars - but they hire more assistants and aids - people who are sitting drinking beer and twittering on more money then the soldier makes - if we want to cut back on money in the budget cut out all those thousands of jobs that were initiated and give that money to the service men and women and their families that truly deserve it.  

A quilt is a wonderful idea but .... well it is a start!

• | Post Points: 50
replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:56 AM

Thea ,I couldn't have said it better myself! I was a military spouse for over 25 years. I wont say more, because you already did. My brother was injured in Desert Storm. I made him his own Quilt of Valor.  It is a wonderful Quilt Charity to give to, but I have been to several VA hosp. And I havent seen any of these quilts either. I made my brother in law one also last Christmas. A Viet Nam Vet.  A victim of Agent Orange, riddled now with several Cancers.  As a military spouse, my husband was overseas so much we bearly saw him, The pay was awful, dont know how many times I had to go sell blood plasma to buy milk and bread.  It is horrible the pay our soldiers get, they and their families make the ultimate sacrifice everyday. I want to thank you Thea for your service... I appreciate all you've done and sacrificed and who you are....there is so much wrong with our world today, and like you it upsets me very much.  God bless you Thea,  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Thea and Candis, You have both confirmed what I suspected. It is so easy to pay lip service to "Support Your Troops" But do we really? Consider it. What can we do?

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 1:28 PM

I know and can understand all your concern.  I have made 2 QOV and have personally given them out.  One fellow was a local here in Tn.  He came to our guild meeting and it was super to meet him and hear his story.  I got a beautiful card and coin from him and he was very moved by it.  I also made one for my nephew who is a helicopter pilot in the army and has been in for 24 years.  He's now a trainer at West Point.  He'd been to Afghanistan more times than I can count and before he was a pilot, he was Delta Force and was in Kuwait before it was liberated during Desert Storm.  He has some medical issues but it's not keeping him from flying yet.  I wanted him to be remembered and thanked for his service and for any of the medical problems he has.  My DH is a Vietnam vet and he's still waiting for his parade which he knows he'll never see.  No veteran should ever be forgotten and if I have to do it 1 quilt at a time and present them each myself, it's still worth it for me.  But everyone knows someone who needs one of those quilts and I just don't go thru the national group.  It makes it much more personal.  I do go onto the QOVF and register my gift so that they don't get 2.  You can go onto the site and request a quilt for someone special it you want.  I just do it as a private citizen.    Now I'll also get off my soapbox.    Love and Thank You to all Veterans of All Wars.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.     

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,726
Points 364,652
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 4:09 PM

Thea:
I have yet to know one who has received one of these quilts - so I am sorry but I for one will not be making one of these quilts till I find someone whom I know has received one.

I know a few. I worked a Walter Reed and quilts were delivered there. I also know some who should get quilts but haven't. Not sure how the decision is made. I made one for a friend.

Thea:
Military members who take care of you on a daily basis - the E-4 and below - they have worked at their jobs for at least 4 years and make less then the minimum wage - if they are married they are eligible for food stamps and assistance programs - why is this - why do we pay our military so badly when they give of life and limb for us.

I'm glad you brought this up 'cause I read an article yesterday that said the military was getting paid too much and that the government needs to stop this. I wonder who they're talking about. I didn't make a lot of money in the military and many of my fellow soldiers were on food stamps to help feed their families. The only reason military pay seems to have increased ahead of regular folks is that they're now making an effort to bring the pay up to minimum wage.

For shame.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:34 PM

Over 70,000 quilts have been given away and 700-800 are given each month.  Quilts are given to active and veterans so it will take quite some time to get quilts to all military.  You can register yourself and others on their site.  When volunteers need help selecting a recipient, the names will come from that list.

http://www.qovf.org/req-quilt.html

i have been a volunteer longarmer for several quilts and am starting a QoV group matching quilters with 4H youth in January and plan to select local military to give them to.  I think if you are called to make quilts for this organization, you should.  We can't do everything but we can do something!

i attended a QoV ceremony last month where about 15 Iowa and Nebraska military men and women received quilts.  It was touching.

replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:57 PM

Diana:

I know and can understand all your concern.  I have made 2 QOV and have personally given them out.  One fellow was a local here in Tn.  He came to our guild meeting and it was super to meet him and hear his story.  I got a beautiful card and coin from him and he was very moved by it.  I also made one for my nephew who is a helicopter pilot in the army and has been in for 24 years.  He's now a trainer at West Point.  He'd been to Afghanistan more times than I can count and before he was a pilot, he was Delta Force and was in Kuwait before it was liberated during Desert Storm.  He has some medical issues but it's not keeping him from flying yet.  I wanted him to be remembered and thanked for his service and for any of the medical problems he has.  My DH is a Vietnam vet and he's still waiting for his parade which he knows he'll never see.  No veteran should ever be forgotten and if I have to do it 1 quilt at a time and present them each myself, it's still worth it for me.  But everyone knows someone who needs one of those quilts and I just don't go thru the national group.  It makes it much more personal.  I do go onto the QOVF and register my gift so that they don't get 2.  You can go onto the site and request a quilt for someone special it you want.  I just do it as a private citizen.    Now I'll also get off my soapbox.    Love and Thank You to all Veterans of All Wars.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.     

Diana, I guess that was my point, I didn't make it very well, I make one at a time also for the ones I meet and know.   My son in law has been to Afghanistan 6 times now.  Hopefully it will end soon, he's missed his daughter growing up....  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 9:39 PM

Thea:
I see beautiful programs like this and wonder when they are going to get to the soldiers sailors and airmen - I know it is hard to get one to all that deserve them and every member of the service needs something like this - and then

Interesting.  I had no idea the delivery of these quilts was so hit and miss.  I am making my first QOVs, and instead of donating them to the official organization, I think I will distribute them to the honored guests at the Veteran's Day program at the local high school.  I'll bet I can get other members of my quilt guild to do this, too.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:07 PM

I don't think it is hit or miss.  They encourage you to give to those you know.  It is more a case of supply and demand.  It started as a grass roots effort and is picking up steam but it is still dependent on every day quilters taking time to make a quilt to donate.  They should be applauded for their efforts to try to coordinate this on such a massive level!  I am amazed at all the work Judy does to match up toppers to longarmers every month.  It is a huge network of volunteers all over the country.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,570
Donna replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 10:42 PM

Thanks Kris, I found an joined the group.  I've gotten a couple replies to keep me on the right track.  I do appreciate your input.  Hugs, Donna

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use