Top 10 Posters

Any suggestions to help me with techniques on quilt as you go?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120
Lindsey posted on Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:52 PM

Hi all!

After my disastrous start with trying to quilting my daughter's Cath Kidston quilt for christmas, I am also working on a quilt for my husband. 

I've decided that maybe I shouldn't stitch all the blocks together, as I obviously find it hard to stitch the quilt when it's as big as queen size.

One of the posts on here made me think that maybe doing the "quilt as you go" might be the perfect solution for me and my body that lets me down.

Thing is, I can't seem to find any techniques that can help me. 

Does anyone know of any websites that I can visit. I don't want to have to pay for any advice (my husband will be out of work after christmas) although I would stretch to buying a cheapish book from Ebay if anyone knows of a good book?

Many thanks for reading this and for any help anyone can give me!

Happy stitching, Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Lindsey, here is a tutorial from Missouri Quilts:   Quilt as You Go

I googled Quilt as you go and came up with several, I did not look at them all. The one from Missouri Quilts says she does it for smaller items, but I know you can do a large quilt with this method. I made one years ago my hand, but I cannot remember how I joined the sections. There is someone on here that was talking about this awhile back and hopefully they will show up with some advise.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I also found this tutorial and it shows how to join, I did not look at it really closely but it should give you and idea.   Quilt as you go Blog

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Lindsey,

Here is a link to a blog site that has some good info on a QAYG method. There are several methods out there, but I have used this one on a large twin size quilt, with borders.  What I like about this method is that it is ALL by machine...no hand work.

When you open the link you should be in her tutorial section of her blog. She has broken her QAYG method down into six steps. Do not click on the pictures! Click on the description below the picture. That will open the information on that step.  I know her quilts are modern in style, but the method is the same if you are doing traditional blocks or modern blocks.  Hope this helps you a little bit!

http://www.thequiltingedge.com/p/tutorials.html

Max

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75

I recently found a video on Youtube.com that was on quilt as you go method. It was called Quilt in 6 hours by Kaye Wood. It was SO exciting to see the possiblities of finishing a quilt so easily.  I am a longarmer and this was wonderful! I watched it with my a young friend that is brand new to sewing and she wants to do a quilt!

I hope you find as much joy in this as we did.

Kate

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120

Thanks so much for your help! I was working overtime on sunday for longer than I anticipated, so didn't have time to check in!

I will have a look online tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks again!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,826 Posts
Points 248,654

Lindsey have a good day .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120

Aw, thanks Barbara! My afternoon was a lot better than the morning, thanks!

I hope you are managing to get some quilting therapy in, you need it!

I am very sorry for the troubles you had with your family, that is such a shame and it must have set you back in surprise! 

I am really glad that all the members are rallying round and giving you support. I know I'm in a very different time zone to you and can't always get to this site but it gives me peace to know you have a lot of loyal friends here!

Much love, Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120

Spudgrandma, Max and Kate

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I should have been a bit more clearer in my post but I need to find help with stitching blocks together without sashing.

I think I'm going to have to have a go at leaving each block a quarter inch, quilting up to that point, then just trying to stitch each block together. I think I'll have to cut wadding the same size as the block, minus a quarter inch seam each edge.

Do any of you think that should work ok? I really can't think of any other way, other than stitching all the blocks together, then quilting with wadding and backing, as a huge quilt, which will take me a lot longer to do, due to my neck and back!

Any ideas will be welcomed! Thanks again, Lindsey

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,120

Hi again! I've managed to find some instructions, phew! I was getting worried, as I had no idea how I was going to manage!

I think I will try this for all my quilts in future. Anything to save me going through the pain of doing a huge bed quilt on my normal sewing machine!

Hope this is also helpful to anyone else who is thinking of doing the same thing!

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtoquiltoneatatime.html

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use