Sewing Shortcuts

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 375
snpyrunner Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:44 AM

When sewing many small pieces together, instead of running back and forth to iron your seam, use something hard like a bone folder to crease or "iron" the edge.  This saves time and is especially useful when you are making pieced blocks, unless of course you prefer the exercise!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:54 AM

Hi snpyrunner.  Welcome to the group.  Good tip.  I used to have the ironing board downstairs, and my machine upstairs.  It was good exercise.  I like your idea better.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi snpyrunner, it is nice to meet you. Thanks for sharing your tip...

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 12:32 PM

Luckily, my ironing board is in the same room as my sewing machine.  but I do just finger press the seams and then iron when I have a stack.  Hadn't thought about a bone folder but do have a book holder that was given to me, by a friend at work because I would use the TV remote to hold my book open.  It's made of leather and quite heavy, about 6 inches long so it would work like a paperweight. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 12:24 AM

Hi spy welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 590
Yes, I do like th exercise:) I also put my finished blocks downstairs, and run upstairs to continue and so on.

Blessings,

Pat F, Jamestown, NY

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use