Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,570
Donna Posted: Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:28 PM

Hi All,  Although I joined QCA a year ago I didn't really start to participate until late summer.  I had some unexpected health problems that seemed minor until early June when I collapsed at home one morning and was airlifted to the hospital.  My BP had bottomed out.  Thank God DH was in the room and called 911.  The doctors decided it was just a reaction to a muscle relaxer and sent me home the next day.  Soon after I developed a high heart rate and went to see a cardiologist.  He scheduled me for a minor procedure to go in through the groin and zap that part of my heart that was causing the tachycardia.  I went to the hospital June 19 for the procedure expecting to be back home a few hours later.  I woke up three days later in CCU wondering what I was doing there and why I was in so much pain.  I was so surprised by what I found out over the course of the next few days.  It seems that while I was in the Cath Lab being prepped for the minor procedure, an aneurism with which I had been diagnosed a couple years earlier, ruptured then and there, right before the cardiologist's eyes.  So I was getting CPR as I was rushed into OR for emergency open heart surgery.  The rupture was so bad it tore the rear wall of my heart along with the ascending aorta.  My DH said I was in surgery for over 5 hours.  When all was said and done, a vein had been taken from my upper leg to replace the aorta, I had to have a torn valve replaced and I have a few inches of plastic in there somewhere.  There was concern that my brain may have been deprived of oxygen and my mental outcome was questionable.  I don't even remember the day before all this happened.  But the ending of this trauma and drama is so good!  God is so good!  They dubbed me the Miracle Lady and as I got the details over the course of the following days and weeks, I understood why.  There is a 5% survival rate from such a rupture and I'm still here!

In recent weeks I've been questioning whether or not to renew my membership to QCA.  I've seen how talented many of you ladies are.  And how much sewing you accomplish.  I'm such an amateur and feel as though I should finish something first.   But you're all so warm and caring and I want to be a part of this.  So please bear with me.  I want to be one of you.  Hugs, Donna from Oregon

• | Post Points: 155
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,436
Points 243,542
Thea replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:12 AM

Hi Donna - please stay - quite a story you have and it is wonderful that you survived.  I almost lost my life back in my 20s when I had a tubal pregnancy that I didn't know I had - similar story to yours in that I woke a couple days later wondering what was going on.  I am very glad to still be here and I was also called a miracle - it is a wonder isn't it how God works- in very mysterious ways.  I always wonder what exactly I am still here for - and other of my friends have left.  I always feel that there is something somewhere that I still have to complete.  I want to stay around right now to see my Grands grow up and to impart all the knowledge that I can to them.   

Quilting is such a wonderful thing to do.  I absolutely love it - it gives me so much peace and I put love into each one of my quilts - maybe we are supposed to make some wonderful quilts - who knows - Love to have you join in - glad you are here...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 1:34 AM

oh, my, what an ordeal you have been through.     i hope you decide to stay with us.  we have a great time and there is a lot of support for your quilting adventures

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:59 AM

Donna, WOW, you need to stay

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 6:58 AM

Donna, God is great! The fact that you are with us proves that. I will lift you up in prayer.

Quilting is very theraputic. You just relax and enjoy. Well, someimes, it gest on your last never. But, for the most part it is wonderful. It is a God given gift for those who have problems that they need to get pastand  will help so much, Perhaps, you should take some classes or, do like I did, and just dive in. I pray while I quilt, makes it so peaceful. And, last night I found out that God can guide you to thread a sewing machine needle, when you just can't get it..

You are special. You are welcome here. We will be there for you through thick or thin. You have lots of sisters in fabric now.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,403
Points 47,130
Angele replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:06 AM

Donna welcome to the site.  Having survived such a trauma, now. Everything is possible.  Every new day is a gift for you to cherish and make the best out of it.  You will quickly find that everyone here is willing to share their knowledge and experience when asked for.  Don't forget to relax and have fun when you quilt!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,542
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:36 AM

Hi Donna,   I am so glad you were one of the 5% who survived.  That is a harrowing tale.  It is a good thing you were where you were when this happened.  Thank the good Lord for his mercies.   I hope you stick around, we would love to have a new sister in quilting.    Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:32 AM

Donna, OMG what an experience you and your family went thru . You are most definitely a Miracle Woman .  Yes you should stay ,we were all beginners at one time ,I have only been quilting for 4 years myself and I'm still learning everyday. SO hang in there we all here to help . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,120

Life throws you curves but it sounds like you made it to the other side with rapid speed.  Quilting will give you a chance to relax and use your creativity. Sometimes it can be  great de-stresser!  I haven't been active on this site for long but I'm already finding out I really enjoy it. I joined the RR3 because I need to finish a project for me!  ROTFL.  I have finished many projects but they seem to be far and few between and always for someone else. I need something for me and what better way than to have other quilters help me accomplish that goal!  Glad you are here and hope you stay. Hugs!!!!. 

Grandma "Maggie" Sunshine

(And yes, there is a story behind the name)

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Oh my Donna - God is good indeed! I'm so happy you came back and posted. It is nice to meet you and I do hope that you will decide to stay with us.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Maggie, it is nice to meet you and I hope that you will share the story behind your name at some point. I'm glad you are here and hope that you will spend more time with us.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Hi Donna, I'm so glad you decided to join us. I am so happy you made it through your trauma. I know how that feels as I've had the same procedure done several times. I even got to go to Stanford for one. I have WPW (Wolf, Parkinson, White syndrome). I also woke up in CCU 2 days later to find I had a hole in my heart and they had to do emergency surgery. I'm so glad God saw you through your ordeal. I sure hope you decide to stay. This is such a wonderful place. Would love to see pictures of any quilts you finish. I have only been quilting for a little over a year.

Maggie, I am so looking forward to your story also. And welcome to the club.

Barbara, I thought you have been quilting for years based on the pictures of your beautiful quilts and free motion practice sandwiches. I sure hope I'm that good after only a few years also.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,446
Points 176,318
Marie replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:35 PM

Donna:
In recent weeks I've been questioning whether or not to renew my membership to QCA.  I've seen how talented many of you ladies are.  And how much sewing you accomplish.  I'm such an amateur and feel as though I should finish something first.   But you're all so warm and caring and I want to be a part of this.  So please bear with me.  I want to be one of you.  Hugs, Donna from Oregon

Donna, the Lord has blessed you with this outcome and I think he lead you here so you must stay and join us in this friendship and journey.  We are so lucky to have each other and want you to be a part of it.  We all had to begin somewhere and what better place for you to begin but with a group who is caring and knowledgeable and funny and also certifiable sometimes.  :  )  Hugs back to you.   (((((HUGS)))))  Marie 

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,446
Points 176,318
Marie replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:36 PM

Maggie:
(And yes, there is a story behind the name)

Do tell us Maggie, please.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:50 PM

Wow Donna, God certainly put you in the right place at the right time.

I am so glad you have decided to stay and join in our fun.  We are all like a bunch of sisters (and 2-3 brothers.)  And anytime one of us needs support, it is here in abundance. 

Oh, and lots of helpful quilting stuff as well.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use