Help needed - Making Memory Quilt out of photo paper

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:52 AM

If anyone has ever made a quilt using printable photo paper and has any tips to pass along, I would appreciate it.  

I have all the fabric and photos (still with backing) but don't have instructions for the paper.  I read online the photo fabric should be soaked after paper is removed then pressed.  Are they things I should be aware of?  

Thanks for your time...

Here's my EQ7 version 

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:41 AM

Cant seem to be able to post this??

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,825

OH, Annie I love your design. Outstanding. I used the printable fabric on my Mark Twain quilt (in my gallery). The quilt has been washed and the photos didn't fade at all. I didn't pre-soak after I printed the images. But I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that. Maybe it's actually a good idea.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,825

Annie, you did a fantastic job on this design. Is it your own? 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:54 AM

Judy,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the design is my own, not much to it, just filling in so that the photos aren't on top of each other.  Love the way I can import fabric and get a feel for the overall tone.

Can I press on the photo or do  I need to press from other other side?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,825

Annie:

Judy,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the design is my own, not much to it, just filling in so that the photos aren't on top of each other.  Love the way I can import fabric and get a feel for the overall tone.

Can I press on the photo or do  I need to press from other other side?

Annie, I didn't press directly on the photo, I layed a piece of plain fabric on top first. I don't know if you have to do that. I have a sample I printed to practice with and it didn't seem to be hurt at all by pressing directly on it, even with steam.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Annie, your quilt is beautiful, I cannot wait to see it all completed. Your design is wonderful.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 11:33 AM

Thanks,

She gave me a Jelly roll, but I am going to need wider fabric to make the fillers, looking on line to get some yardage.

I will definitely let you know how it is coming along.

Is there anything you see that should be changed.  All the fabric placements are just estimates as are the filler pieces. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,825

Annie:
Is there anything you see that should be changed.  All the fabric placements are just estimates as are the filler pieces.

Changed Annie? Not a thing. I love it. I want it. When you finish it, you need to submit it to EQ7. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,825

Annie:
Is there anything you see that should be changed.

Wait, I may have one suggestion. The sawtooth strip. I keep seeing it as being upside down. I think it's because the darker fabric is on the bottom. Try switching the fabrics.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:32 PM

I will try that when I get home from work.  Good Eye!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,266 Posts
Points 35,145

Annie, I have used the photo paper from Electric quilt,  It was soaked in water afterward.  Since you are an EQ user I bet they could help you with this. 

I did see one at Hobby Lobby that said to soak in vingar water, but can't remember how much or how to tell if that is the kind of "paper fabric" you have

Quilt looks awsome.

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:49 AM

Hi, New Question...

How have you quilted the memory quilt??  Someone recommended diagonals but I am wondering if it looks funny sewing on faces???

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use