Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 140
Amy H. Posted: Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:19 PM

Hello everyone, I am VERY new to quilting....sewing and terminology used as well.  I have been piecing together and getting my feet wet with quilt of the month blocks from the store.  I have made a Christmas table runner off of a Missouri Star Quilt how to video but my binding came out not so straight.  I am excited and love making the squares....next step is to actually make the QUILT itself.  I want to have things showcased throughout my home and say "I made that" with pride.  LOL!

Anyways, I am just new to it all and will soak more in from time to time.  Hopefully I can make some nice things for the next years holiday season.  Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all these beautiful things that I see so I just need to slow it down and finish one thing at a time.

Can't wait to make some friends, gain some advice from those who are quilting veterans AND continue learning this amazing art!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Hi Amy, it is so nice to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you go, everyone here loves to help!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Here is a good place to start for answering some of your questions:   Frequently Asked Questions

and here is a list of acronyms that should help   OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,213
Points 239,222
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:56 PM

Amy - welcome to quilting and QCA - you will find a wonderful group of quilters here that will be so glad to have someone very new to sewing and quilting to teach and help.  I know what you mean about having things - quilts - around your house that you make yourself.  I decorate each season with different quilts that I have made and love how they make me feel - quilts are warm and toasty.  There are lots of videos of how to do things on QNNtv - so if you have a premium membership here you can utilize that and learn all sorts of things - don't have to go anywhere - just put your jammies on and watch.  Mary Fons has a program over there called Quilty that is for all beginners - she teaches you each step of the way - from how to pick fabrics - to the 1/4" seam - to sewing it together.  

But if you have any questions at all here - just ask away.  You will get dozens of us who will help you and impart to you all of our quilting history and knowledge.

Where are you from?  I live in Oklahoma - a transplanted via the USAF from NY.  I like it here in the midwest though - much slower then back home.  

Glad to make your acquaintance mam...teehee

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,495
Points 30,430
Diana replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 1:44 PM

Hi Amy and Welcome to the Gang,   We quilters love to share our knowledge and hints to anyone who wants to listen.  Where are you from?  As Thea says, we have so many people from all over the world, you never know when you might have a neighbor who is a quilter here.  I learned from watching Eleanor Burns on PBS but have learned even more from people I've met here and elsewhere.  Just jump right in and ask away.  Enjoy yourself.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:00 PM

Hi, Amy, welcome.  I won't be giving you any advice, as I am not that great at quilting myself, even though I have been at it for 5 years, now. I have made lots of quilt tops, a nd they still are just quilt tops. It is my hope to have them all quilted this year. But, never give up, just keep on plugging along.

I know you will find lots have helpful hints here. I have loved this group and all these wonderful ladies. Enjoy.

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 237
Points 4,290
Christine replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 3:54 PM

Hi Amy!  Welcome to the group.  You sure found a great place for a beginner!  There are some pretty awesome ladies here.  I'm new as well, but I've been sewing over 35 years now.  And that's hard to do being only 29 yrs old!  (evil grin)

I hope you won't be shy when you have questions or problems with something not turning out.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 653
Points 16,575

Welcome Amy!  I'm new myself and have found so much help and encouragement here.  And we'd love to see pictures of anything you've done.   We all learn from each other.

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,957
Leslie replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 8:52 PM

Hi Amy, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 9:07 PM

Welcome Amy.  This is a great place beginners and those who have quilted for years.  We all learn a lot here, and have fun doing it.   So don't be shy about asking questions

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,406
Points 361,182
Kris replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:39 PM

Welcome Amy.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,302
Points 414,104
gini replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:16 AM

hi amy, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,253
Points 173,028
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:56 PM

Hi Amy, let me add my welcome to you as well.  Seems the ladies are a little shy or maybe they want to ease you into our group slowly but your comment about finishing one thing at a time will go by the wayside soon enough.  Most of us have two three or more things going at once but don't tell them I warned you or I'll be in trouble.  ;  ).  ENJOY!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 140
Amy H. replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:50 AM

Thanks so much to everyone for all they have said and posted.  I am so glad I found this forum and site.

I am a Navy wife, my husband Stephen is a Supply Corps Lieutenant Commander, and we are currently stationed in the BEAUTIFUL area of Mechanicsburg, PA.  We are both native Texans and we have 3 boys.....Bryce 10, Matthew 9 and Sean 3.  

I have had a love for crafting and sewing and card making for a very long time now.....after 11 years of active duty myself.....I finally have the time to play at home.  At least until my youngest starts school.  LOL!

I just may become a bother to some of you who have been kind enough to offer any advice or tips and tricks so.......beware ;)

Thanks again and please let me know if there is anything else I can get from this site.  

I will post a couple of pics of the silly little starter things I have done and please be critical.  I don't want to lose my love for sewing just because I can't get good results.  

Happy sewing and quilting and crafting ladies!

Amy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 140
Amy H. replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:57 AM

LOL!  It is the several things that I have had laying around unfinished that have overwhelmed me.....LOL!  ;)

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use