sewing machine needles

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 555
Kathleen Johnston posted on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:05 AM

I have always used Schmetz needles but at the LQS today they suggested Inspira needles as being better-better metal.  Does anybody know anything about this.  What about Organ needles?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Kathleen, I'm not sure if we have met so I wanted to say Hi and it is nice to meet you.

I use the Organ needles in my domestic machines and they have worked very well for me. I order needles for my Fun Quilter from Nolting and I cannot remember what they are called.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,248 Posts
Points 239,892
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:22 AM

Kathleen - I am not sure if they are any better - everyone that sells them that I have found is a quilt shop - I don't see them in Hancock's or JoAnn's - they are a good needle but if you can get titanium needles - it is said that they are the best.  I do have Inspira but the needle that I absolutely love is the Bohin needle - it is made in France and when I first used it - it was like using a knife and cutting butter... was fantastic - of course the first ones I used were hand needles but then I tried the machine needles and they are great - I buy them in bulk when I find them - usually at the quilt shows.  Does your quilt shop sell machines by Pfaff or Viking - they are the ones that usually sell the Inspira needle as I believe it is made by the same company.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:50 AM

Organ Titanium machine needles are always my first choice.  I usually buy them online to get the best price.  I do a lot of machine embroidery in addition to quilting and they last so much longer!  Schmetz are my only back up option in my rural area, but I have to replace those needles at least 4 times more frequently than with the Organs.  I have never tried the Bohin machine needles that Thea suggests or the Inspira needles you have asked about, so cannot comment on them.  I find the Organ Titaniaum needles are a really good buy (in comparison to the Schmetz) since they are not 4 times as expensive and last at least 4 times longer.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 555

Thanks to everybody for the information.  I think I shall try the Organ and the Bohin if I can find them.  It does worry me when the LQS pushes a certain product.  You don't know if it is better or just that they make more money on it.

Thanks kath

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
655 Posts
Points 16,585

I too like Organ with Schmetz as my second choice.  They both seem to last about the same time but for some reason the same sized Organ goes through the fabric better (easier?) than the Schmetz.

Brigit-Carol

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use