Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
Suki Dog Posted: Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:56 PM

Hello,

I am working on the Dr. Seuss Merry Grinchmas Panel quilt. The pattern directs you to piece some blocks onto the background before cutting the postage stamp edge, while for other blocks, the background piece is cut to make a frame around the block. 

This seems confusing and unnecessary - I am wondering why I wouldn't put them all together in the same way. What is the difference between the two techniques?

If anyone has done this quilt and can offer some suggestions, that would be wonderful!!

Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,197
Points 239,022
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 1:00 PM

Suki - I would need to see the pattern - I have bought Grinch fabric for about 4 years since it started coming out to make a quilt for my son - just haven't gotten around to it yet - tons of the fabric though... probably enough to make 3 quilts - teehee - I am designing my own.  Let me know if you have a picture of the quilt you are making and I might be able to answer more intelligently.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
Suki Dog replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 4:23 PM

Here is a link to the website - the pattern is a free download (who knows, maybe it is something you can use with your fabric?! :)

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/merry_grinchmas_panel_quilt/

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 6:21 PM

hi suki dog, welcome to the group.   are the blocks the same size?   maybe they are using the frame to make them the same size.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,295
Points 413,979
gini replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 6:25 PM

i couldn't find the grinch pattern you are referring to.

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

I went to the website and read through the directions...I see what you are saying.  However, studying the picture I notice that some of the blocks look like they have three colors around them and others only two.  My guess is that is the difference -  the extra round of color.  I'm not sure which procedure produces the extra round of color.  I would have to actually do it to figure that one out.  I'm a little spatially challenged that way. 

Hope that's helpful!  :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,394
Points 360,972
Kris replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 7:27 PM

Hello and welcome Suki Dog. 

Just make it the way you want to. Let the pattern be a guide. You don't have to follow it to the letter.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 6:43 PM

Hi Suki Dog,

I bought the "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" Panel and quilt pattern for my son last year and have been bugged by the instructions to make some of the blocks with the postage stamp cut on the edges of the blocks, and others to have the postage stamp edge on the inner edges of the outer border fabric and place that over the inner blocks. I'm still working out the postage stamp border; doing that intricate of a pattern is stressing me out! As if the cuts weren't hard enough, there's the satin stitch that is to finish the edges, also in the postage stamp design.

Another thing that complicates this quilt is that the directions call for leaving the background fabric whole and fusing the inner block on the entire block on some of the blocks. That's a lot of fusible being wasted! Then, it calls for a hole to be cut in some of the backgrounds and the postage stamp edge fused over which could be a problem if the fusible edges get crooked or distorted. The background fabrics are all cut in one piece, which can complicate things even more!

For those who haven't seen the pattern, the postage stamp edge is a peg-shaped in and out cut. I'd like to do mine in half-circles, 1/2" diameter, separated by 1/4" flat spaces, to better mimic a postage stamp. Cute, but Sheesh! The blocks finish at either 9" or 12 " by 15" and are bordered by 3" squares.

I'm debating using the deckle-edge stitch design on my machine and forget the postage stamp idea and put white or cream "photo corners" to make it a picture book.

Oh, did I mention my son is 40?

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use