rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 4:37 PM

Kay:
I have been teaching myself to quilt for awhile, but I still have a lot to learn. I hope to meet new friends and to learn new skills. How long have you been quilting? 

I, too, taught myself 4 years ago.  Now that I'm retired (1.5 years), I've enjoyed being able to spend more time at it and learn some new skills through a local guild and from talented QCA members like Gini (needle-turn applique) and classes at big quilt shows.  It's been a real plus available through this club to be able to post any quilt-related questions and have responses from other experienced quilters within minutes - sometimes the answers or suggestions even come with pictures!  I hope you'll enjoy it here as much as I have.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 265
Kay replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:20 PM

Hi Weezee,

Yes, her name was Louise. We became close friends, but then I moved from Biloxi, MS to Little Rock, Ar. and we lost touch. This is the first time I have heard the name "weezee" since. It's a unique name. I assume she is still in Biloxi as she was born and raised there. 

How long have you been quilting? What kind of quilts do you like to make? I like all quilts, but my favorite is vintage quilts and I do like crazy quilts too. I have pretty much taught myself how to quilt, but I still have a lot to learn and I know I will have tons of questions. I kinda need a mentor I guess. Someone who will help me when I need it. I have tried to find someone here in Memphis, but I have had no luck at all finding anyone who is willing to help me. I have my own quilting studio, so I am set up pretty well. 

Hope your having a great day!

Kay

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Kay it is nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 265
Kay replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:34 PM

I am excited and ready to learn all I can. There is only one local quilt guild here and it's pretty far from me, so I thought joining a quilt club would be a great start. This club was highly recommended. My first quilt top was done by hand, which took me awhile to do and I am in the process of finishing it now. I also just bought a new long arm digital sewing machine by Brother. It does everything. I am excited about that also. 

Everyone here that I have met has been so nice and friendly, which has made me feel comfortable, so I already know I am going to enjoy this very much.

Kay :)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 265
Kay replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:42 PM

Hello, it's nice to meet you. What name do I call you Spudgradma, Spud, or grandma? Which do you prefer?

I am from Memphis, TN. I am a stay at home mom and I do love to quilt. I haven't been quilting long, but what I have done, I have taught myself how to do. How long have you been quilting?

Hope your having a great day! :)

Kay

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 15,905
weezee56 replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 7:46 PM

Kay:

Yes, her name was Louise. We became close friends, but then I moved from Biloxi, MS to Little Rock, Ar. and we lost touch. This is the first time I have heard the name "weezee" since. It's a unique name. I assume she is still in Biloxi as she was born and raised there. 

How long have you been quilting? What kind of quilts do you like to make? I like all quilts, but my favorite is vintage quilts and I do like crazy quilts too. I have pretty much taught myself how to quilt, but I still have a lot to learn and I know I will have tons of questions. I kinda need a mentor I guess. Someone who will help me when I need it. I have tried to find someone here in Memphis, but I have had no luck at all finding anyone who is willing to help me. I have my own quilting studio, so I am set up pretty well. 

Kay

Hi Kay, I have been quilting over 25 years. I like to make baby quilt the most, and doll quilts, I do a lot of applique. If you go to my gallery you will see some of my quilts. There is a bear sleeping, and Sunbonnet Sue. My Mother did alot of quilting, sewing, and crochet. I started crocheting when I was 13. Then she taught me how to sew. I started quilting on my own, and I taught my self how to knit. I retired in Oct. and I had always planned to do lots of quiilting. So I joined QCA. I have talked to many nice people. I'll try to help answer questions for you if I can. I watch lots of the videos on Qnn.com Lots of great Info.......

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Kay:
What name do I call you Spudgradma, Spud, or grandma? Which do you prefer?

Either Spud or Spudgrandma, Spud is easier to type, but I'll answer to most anything... LOL 

I have been actually piecing and quilting for about 7 years,  I made a couple of quilts many years ago, one was a quilt as you go by hand and the other was a scrappy baby quilt that was tied.  I made quite a few baby quilts that were tied and appliqued over the years, but I got serious about learning when my grandkids were born.   I am also self taught and still have so much to learn.  You have a great day also.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,480
Points 362,167
Kris replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:05 AM

Welcome to the group Kay.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,284
Points 173,438
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:46 PM

Hi Kay, welcome to QCA.  It's a great place to be and I hope you enjoy it.  I've been a member for over three years now.

Millbury, MA

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use