Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,048
Points 169,898
Marie replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 12:48 PM

Hi Anna and welcome to our quilting family!  Enjoy your new passion, we sure do.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 3:42 PM

Welcome Anna

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:02 AM

Anna

Thanks for the tip.  I always go thru so many blades.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Hi Anna, it is nice to meet you and thank you for the tip.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Welcome, welcome, welcome Treefrog! I have a fond memory of a tree frog from childhood.

MelodyP

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 235
Treefrog replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:33 AM

I absolutely love them, I wish I lived in a place I could see them from time to time.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,299
Points 45,925
Angele replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 6:59 AM

Welcome Treefrog I am glad you found this site.  Even though its not perfect, I have learned so much from the wonderful and generous quilters on this site.  I learned to go beyond my comfort zone and be creative!  Thanks for the info on the blades.   I will keep that in mind.

Angèle  from NWO

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 130
Rara replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:51 PM

I'll be looking for these also-rotary blades seem to have gone way up in price. I always buy in the States when I  cross border shop (yes I am one of those) or internet shop(I'm definitely one of those!). I have been buying the titanium blades-they do seem to last a little bit longer, but I go through a blade a quilt it seems to me, and thats getting pretty expensive. Hope those people ship to Canada!

PS Treefrog- a frog is my most favorite "animal"-I have been saving them for years-great to see one on the site.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 30

Hi Everyone!

I have been a quilter for thirty years, yikes! I sound old but like quilts, they age well when taken care of.  I love using my rotary cutter and seem to get much more use out of them then I have been reading in some of the posts.  I use about five a year and make a quilt every two weeks.  What are you all doing to them?  There is some maintance that helps.  Keep the handle portion clean where the blade is connected.  Sometimes you will get a build of of fibers from the fabric and in some cases there will be little metal silvers that come from new blades that arent honed correctly from the manufactor.  It is like buying a new car, oil has to be changed sooner then normal because there may be tiny metal filings.

The second thing I recommend is keeping the connecting area slightly oilded. Too much friction will wear a blade down prematurely, especially if you are a speed cutter and it heats up.  Just kidding.  The friction does wear a blade down.

Third, you need to keep your cutting board surface smooth.  If you allow gutters to build up from repeated use in the same area your blade has to work harder.  I keep a sanding block intended for finishing work on furniture nearby and occasionally sand down the ruts.  You can use the back side of most cutting boards also.  In some cases when a board is just worn down I cut out a section that hasn't worrn down much and use it next to my machine for quick thread trimming.  If all else fails I have used the in the bottom of totes that I make so that the bottom is stronger and you don't have to buy the expensive ones sold in the store. 

I like getting use out of my sewing supplies.  I reuse the containers you get when you buy multiple blades and label them as new or used.  Occasionally I will deposit them when at my doctors office in their sharps desposal units they have in all the rooms for needles.  I keep the container and put it back in use. 

Connie Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Hi Rara, it is nice to meet you and I hope we see more of you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Hi Connie Sue, it is nice to meet you. Thank you so much for the tips. I change mine a bit more often than most, and more than I use to, because I don't have any strength in my arms anymore and I need my blade to be supper sharp; but, I guess it is a small price to pay to still be able to quilt. Thanks again for the tips, I will definitely give them a try.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 340
Rita replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 4:30 PM

I purchased a package of these Cryogenically hardened blades on Ebay.  I haven't tried them yet but thought it was worth a shot.  I've been cutting denim for a cathedral quilt and went through a whole package of blades before getting all the pieces cut...  I've considered getting a blade sharpener but I read somewhere that they don't work all that well, especially if there are nicks in the blades.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use