Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 18,320
Brigit-Carol Posted: Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:14 AM

I purchased this fabric online to make a Christmas throw thinking it was an overall design.  Imagine my surprise when it arrived to discover I had purchased 4 panels!  Each measures 23x 44".  The proportions are wrong to just add border strips all around, so need some ideas to increase the width without taking away from the design. I thought maybe adding 2.5-3" gold sashing all around, then "something" on the sides, ending with either a single or double border.  Or maybe someone has a better idea to add about 10" more to the width than length? 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,527
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:24 AM

I have had panels like these and there is nothing in the rule book that says you can't add borders to the sides and not to the top and bottom.  You don't even need to have them the same sizes.  I always tell quilters that they are the designer and they can do whatever they like.   So just go for it and enjoy the journey.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:53 PM

I have done this with several panels.     I am thinking you want this wider,.   I make a pieced block border for the two sides. I make it as wide as I need.  I keep it to a simple b lock as much as I can. so it does not take away from the panel   Then I do a narrow all around border, and then the final outer border.  Works well for me 

Another way is to cut out the picture square and add sashing to them, you lose the nice printed border though.

Good luck

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 12:15 PM

I got 12 of these panels for $1 each so I had to fin a way to use them.  I ended up adding fabric to the sides and then adding a border or two around it.  They turned out nice.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,837
Points 123,665

Jeanne, those are beautiful panels and only $1 each. What a find. I really really love the way you finished them off. Great job.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 18,320

Jeanine - thanks for the idea.  I've been thinking a bit too fancy and I think you simple addition helps the center picture pop out better.  I might just follow suit.

Brigit-Carol

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use