Top 10 Posters

New quilter - Want to learn to do hand pictorials...but how?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 115
Lane Rae Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:14 PM

My name is Alayne and I live in Virginia.

I am a busy lady but purchased my first decent Janome MO200 early this year. I am enjoying doing machine quilting and learning, when I have time, but my real goal and love is to learn how to do hand quilting.

I have seen some lovely quilts and I especially adore the hand pictorials and would love to begin doing that. The problem is there is no instruction on how to learn how to do this. The very few things I have found and books I have purchased look nothing like the competition work I have seen. I especially would like to do the hand quilted pictorials and alrady know my specific style is similar to that of Yoko Sekita.

So...how do I learn? Where do I start? I would greatly appreciate any instruction or information that can be shared to get me going. I am very artistic so the conception and understanding is there...I just need the technical skills having to do with quilting.

Thank you for any help you can give to me. If you would prefer to email me directly my email is coldwaterlabs@yahoo.com

Alayne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:21 PM

Hi Alayne, welcome. There is a hand quilting group here that might be of some help to you

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,799
gini replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:09 PM

hi alayne, you are asking about two different skills.  there are all sorts of books, youtube videos, etc. on  hand applique.   the more you do the better you get.   i would recommend checking out an applique class at you local quilt shop.   the quilting itself is easy, but again takes practice to get those tiny stitches.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi alayne, it is nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 5:45 AM

Alayna,welcome to the club. 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 115
Lane Rae replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 11:45 AM

Thanks everyone.

I did see several applique videos and watched all of them. I only found one that is my style and that one is the needle turn method. I have practiced and I doing very well at applying them. They are neat, tight and no stitches seen. I think from here it is just to draw up a scene and get started!

I appreciate the help and I will post some of my work. I will start with a very small scene and work my way up for practice. I am so excited to get going!

Alayne

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,120
Lindsey replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 1:23 PM

Hi Alayne

I'm sure you will soon get into the swing of things! Don't forget to keep your body relaxed and stitch in good light. Don't strain your eyes! And wear thimbles or finger pads to help getting sore fingers!

There is so much information out there these days that you will also soon feel part of the community!

Happy stitching! Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,799
gini replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 2:56 PM

it sounds like you have most of the applique battle won, alayne.  we have an applique group here, i would love for you to join us.  i will look forward to seeing pictures of your work.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 5:06 PM

Welcome Alayna, you've come to the right place to learn.  We have so many knowledgable people here willing to share and point you in the right direction.  Enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,837
Points 366,197
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 1:07 AM

Welcome Alayne.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use