I want to make this quilt!

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,678
Points 120,545

I've never done a jelly roll race. I actually have the Moda black/white jelly roll. What a cool background for appliques. Thanks for posting this Brigit-Carol.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 9:34 AM

Wow~ When I saw the thread I thought for sure I was about to see something really complicated, like maybe a Baltimore Album, but Shucks that looks pretty easy to me. I love it. Gof for it, Belfrybat!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 680
Points 17,070

There is no pattern for this quilt -- the lady who made it created her own design and according to the shop owner, would be tickled pink it someone used her design to make their own.  So no copyright problems.  Plus I can't believe any of us would make it identical.  Even if using the same Moda jellyroll, we'd have the strips in a different order.  I have 6 pieces of b/w fabric, so will add another few to get a good assortment.  I've decided to do 3" strips instead of 2.5" since it is easier for me to cut those.  I already have some pinkish red batik with turquoise highlights that I think will do great for the flowers.   My butterfly will probably be blue-gold batik, but will decide for sure later.

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 3:07 PM

Belfrybat:
There is no pattern for this quilt -- the lady who made it created her own design and according to the shop owner, would be tickled pink it someone used her design to make their own. 

Unless this is the shop owner's family member, she has no right to tell you, you can copy this quilt.   I design a lot of my own quilts, I am flattered when someone asks me for the pattern and if it they can make it. I usually just give them the pattern    I have also had designs "stolen"  by people seeing a picture or taking a picture and then making the quilt.  I felt angery.  In fact I told one woman that I  expected to be paid 8.50 for the pattern she "borrowed"

Ask the lady who did the design, trust me both of you will feel better for it.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:01 PM

Who makes the design decision?. Did your quilt contain any piece work, a half  sqaure triangle or square block, that wasn.t originally designed by someone else? If you design a quilt that has flying geese in it, then the flying geese pattern is "stolen" from the original designer.  So, why not just be flattered that someone chose to repeat your design? Could money have anything to do with it?  If it is a different color, then the original, or, has a single block changed. by the person who "stole" your pattern, it is NOT then, your original design. I can't think of a single quilt, I have ever seen that did not contain a pattern of some kind that had not already been designed by someone else.  How is this determined anyway? Wouldn't the entire quilt have to be one that no one had ever used before, every single piece of fabric in it patterned totally different then any quilt ever made before? I think there is a fine line in the decisions of designers that has a lot to do with money.

Sukochi

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 680
Points 17,070

Granny M:

Unless this is the shop owner's family member, she has no right to tell you, you can copy this quilt.   I design a lot of my own quilts, I am flattered when someone asks me for the pattern and if it they can make it. I usually just give them the pattern    I have also had designs "stolen"  by people seeing a picture or taking a picture and then making the quilt.  I felt angery.  In fact I told one woman that I  expected to be paid 8.50 for the pattern she "borrowed"

Granny M

I'm sorry you have felt cheated by people copying your design, but you are making some pretty presumptous statements here.  AND you are accusing me of duplicitous behaviour, which I don't appreciate.   1.  How do you know the shop owner DIDN'T tell the creator of the quilt that " Sister B. (as I am known around here) was so taken by your quilt she wants to make one for herself"?  2. How do you know that the person DIDN'T say "I'm glad she liked it. I'll never make another, tell her to call me if she needs help?   How do you know that the lady in question DIDN'T call me a few days later and offer the heart template she used to make the flowers?    You don't know any of this because you didn't bother to ask but jumped to judgement. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:15 AM

Belfrybat:

Granny M:

Granny M

I'm sorry you have felt cheated by people copying your design, but you are making some pretty presumptous statements here.  AND you are accusing me of duplicitous behaviour, which I don't appreciate.   1.  How do you know the shop owner DIDN'T tell the creator of the quilt that " Sister B. (as I am known around here) was so taken by your quilt she wants to make one for herself"?  2. How do you know that the person DIDN'T say "I'm glad she liked it. I'll never make another, tell her to call me if she needs help?   How do you know that the lady in question DIDN'T call me a few days later and offer the heart template she used to make the flowers?    You don't know any of this because you didn't bother to ask but jumped to judgement. 

Well I am sorry that you are so offended.  That was not my intention and I did not accuse you of anything.  I was only saying what I had felt when someone copied my disign without asking me.  Many times the written word is not read the way the spoken word is meant. 

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:21 AM

Sukochi, it seems that I have opened a can of worms that I personally am not going to pursue.    There are many designers out there you would be better able to explain this than I am.  I don't intend to get into any kind of conflict over this.   Sooooo,  If anyone out there is offended, I AM SORRY. 

There has been much said about this issue in posts a year or so ago.   Enough said

Granny M

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:38 AM

I think it's a marvelous pattern!  I would love to do something along the same lines as well.  Gini is patiently trying to get me to expand my abilities in applique.  I'm definitely a work in progress!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:40 AM

I just completed a Jelly Roll Race quilt top but havent quilted it yet, what a great Idea to make it a bit more interseting.  Why couldn't I have thought of that???

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use