Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310
Brigit-Carol Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:07 PM

Was driving by the local quilt shop today and saw this in the window.  I ran home for the camera and took pics.  I had to take it in sections as the glare from the glass prevented me from stepping back.  I don't "do" applique, but this has decided me to give it a try. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,344
Points 126,144

Go for it Brigit, you should go check out the Applique group, they will help you learn. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:18 PM

Oh, me too. Looks like a strip quilt is all. Then add the applique, but, how to figure out how big is the applique pieces.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:13 PM

brigit,  this is a great pattern to learn appliquing.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:17 PM

Brigit, I can see why you would want to make that quilt.  How was it quilted  and was it appliquéd before or after it was quilted?

from TN

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:21 PM

I especially like the "surprise" of the blue butterfly!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,037
Points 169,813
Marie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:00 PM

I think the quilt is "Jelly Roll Race'.  The appliques make it look amazing.  I have a collection of black and white fabrics, this may be the quilt I make with it.  Another 2 do quilt!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:12 PM

Great quilt.  I bet you could do it easily. 

I have a baby quilt to finish and was thinking of appliqueing on flowers and butterflies.   I will have to do something similar.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:22 PM

Very pretty quilt.  Also very easy to do.   I agree with Gini...a great way to learn applique.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 5:31 AM

Brigit, this is beautiful ,I can see why you'd wan tto make it . go for it .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

OK - I called the quilt shop and they measured for me.  The quilt is 55x68.  The upper left hand flower is 14" (7" hearts) and the middle flower is 12" (6" hearts).  The butterfly measures 7 x 9"  and the body is 7" long.  It looks like the very lower flower is a bit smaller but I'll probably make it 12".  The fabric is an older moda jelly roll.  The flowers, butterfly and red sashing are batik.  It was all appliqued before being brought in for quilting.  The shop owner used an overall medium-large stippling except on the applique which she outlined so the flowers and butterfly pop out. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,922
Thea replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 3:35 PM

Very pretty quilt and looks very easy to make - did you remember to get the measurement for your strips - although it really wouldn't matter - you can do any size you want!  It will be your own quilt.  I do hope though that they didn't infringe on any copyright issues.  I am not being mean but it is important that if there is a pattern that someone sells that you buy the pattern.  That is that person's livelihood.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 4:43 PM

Go for it Belfrybat!    I may just do it myself...thanks for the great pictures.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,735
Agnes replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 8:50 AM

I know there is a lot of talk and even controversy about copyright issues. My understanding has been that because it is an art form where the copyright comes in is if you are sharing the specific instructions and method of construction. That means if you are teaching, using a specific pattern, each participant must have their own copy. Jelly Roll Race patterns are free all over the place. As far as the applique goes it doesn't have to be a copy just an "inspired by" idea. I found when I taught small classes I was always working on getting people to change things. There is nothing I hate more than going to a quilt show in a small town and see half a dozen or more identical quilts including color choices. In my mind the creators are just little machines without a mind of their own. I belonged to a group where people have stepped in the front door and recognized my work because I just don't carbon copy well. Now this is strictly my opinion.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 411
Points 8,995
Pamela replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 9:08 AM

Brigit-Carol,

I love applique and these look like fairly simple designs. The background reminds me of a new quilt design I just learned about. It's a Jelly Roll Race, simple to make from a jelly roll by stitching an entire jelly roll end to end with bias seams. Then, you cut the strip in half and sew the halves together on the long sides. You keep cutting the piece in half and resewing, until you have the finished quilt.  You could also cut out your own WOF strips from coordinating fabrics, especially if you cannot find a black & white jelly roll.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use