Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara Posted: Tue, Nov 20 2012 11:04 AM

I just heard about all the awful weather y'all are having out in the Northwest part of the country , Please be safe all of you . If you should need anything let lets us know. 114 mile hr winds and flooding ,gee I thought Sandy was bad , y'all are getting hit hard as well.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:20 PM

Barbara, haven't heard a thing. But, also haven't had the TV on. Where bouts is this terrible storm??

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 9:20 PM

I had to google about the storms.  I had heard about flooding, but not the high winds.  wet here East of the Cascades as well, but not that much wind!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:14 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Barbara, haven't heard a thing. But, also haven't had the TV on. Where bouts is this terrible storm??

I had to google this too!  Most of the high winds are on the Oregon Coast and some on the southern Washington Coast.   That is pretty high, but not too unusual for the western coast.  I remember one big storm when I was still living in Oregon when the winds on the coast were clocked at over 150 mph at several locations.    The big story really is the huge amounts of rainfall with this storm...I heard them say something like 8 inches in 2 days all the way from San Francisco to Seattle.  The west coast gets a lot of rain, but it usually is in smaller doses over a longer period of time... like a 1/2 to 1 inch a day for 30 days.  But 8 inches in 2 days...that is a lot of water and makes for a lot of mudslides on steep hillsides!  As Patti said, she, Marge P and I all live on the "dry" side of Washington (or at least we thought we did), but this storm is big enough that there has been plenty left in the clouds to get over the mountains and drop on us too!  We have probably had over 2 inches in the last 5 days - which is a lot for here!!! 

Now Judy E in Enumclaw could be another matter.  I am not sure if she is on a hill or on the flat farmland area.  Maybe she will jump in with a report and let us know if we need to send a raft her way.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I'm waiting for the 10 news, the teasers are saying bad traveling weather tomorrow - naturally, since we are planning to travel tomorrow. Hopefully, it will not be as bad as they are predicting.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 5:37 AM

Danna ,Pattie and Spud,i didn't know where most of you were located.I did know Patti was more in state.  I just saw this On GMA and it was scarey  all the flooding and those winds. Glad to know you all were not in the bad stuff.   Hope you all have a great holiday. Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 240

Yes, it has been wet here the last two days. And we had some wind. The river is up and dirty.  But this morning the sun is shining.  Funny thing, it was so warm--50 degrees. 

The trail is the thing .... Louis L'Amour

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 240

Yes, it has been wet here the last two days. And we had some wind. The river is up and dirty.  But this morning the sun is shining.  Funny thing, it was so warm--50 degrees. 

The trail is the thing .... Louis L'Amour

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,909
gini replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 2:58 PM

we've had a couple of inches of rain,  our ponds are brimming full.  we are supposed to start getting the winds tonight.  right now it is the lull before the storm.  blue sky is peaking through.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,466
Points 362,022
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 12:56 AM

Stay safe everyone.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 11:38 AM

Thankfully, in Eastern Washington we have confirmation that the blue sky really is still there above all those ugly clouds we had been seeing for the last week or so. 

It has been lovely yesterday and this morning!  Why is it that everything seems better on a bright sunny day?  Happy Thanksgiving everyone...

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:31 PM

Donna B:

Now Judy E in Enumclaw could be another matter.  I am not sure if she is on a hill or on the flat farmland area.  Maybe she will jump in with a report and let us know if we need to send a raft her way.

We're on the plateau, just at the base of the mountains. We had severe winds and some rain but nothing that didn't soak into the fields eventually. The problems were more in towns where the roads and sewer systems couldn't handle the excess rain. Gutters get clogged from the leaves and sewers are so full the blast the manhole covers off. And people, like my brother in  the University district in north Seattle, end up with several feet of water in their basement  that the sump pump couldn't keep up with. With Seattle pretty much at sea level it doesn't work too well to have a basement. But you learn to keep stuff above floor level. And absolutely nothing like the devastion on the East coast with hurricane Sandy happened here.

So no raft needed Donna B. ;-)

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,250
Points 239,932
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:58 PM

lcqultr46:
With Seattle pretty much at sea level it doesn't work too well to have a basement.
I am glad to hear some news about the northwest and that you are all okay.  I had to laugh about the basement comment - here in OK not very many have basements either - we are in the middle of the USA and not much water around us but just underneath us about 10' down is the water table for most of OK - so we flood with just a little bit of rain and if you do have a basement you have to have a sump pump almost constantly running.  

I am glad that your storm was nothing like Sandy.  We just don't need another one that bad for a while - seems like the NW would be the next to get hit though... we had the SW and the mid west and the mid north - now the east coast... so it is moving around... hoping it doesnt' happen for a long time.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use