beginner

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 265

thank you! what kind of batting do i use for quilting,and also what kind of material 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 265

how do you match colors and prints when buying fabric, I'm making a journal of all the tips I get ,so I can look back if I forget something you are all so great

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 12:18 PM

elaine hansen:

What kind of batting do i use for quilting,and also what kind of material 

Most of us use cotton batting.  You can get some good prices using coupons from Joann's if you have a store near you.  Probably you don't have to worry about the batting yet until you are nearly done with your first project.  I chose a table runner as my first project so that I wouldn't be out too much fabric if it didn't work out well.  A good quality quilting cotton would be the best material for your first project (and most projects).

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 12:23 PM

elaine hansen:

how do you match colors and prints when buying fabric, 

For your first project, you may want to choose a pattern that only calls for three or four fabrics, and then you can choose some from a coordinating "family" of fabrics.  That's the best way to get perfect color matches until you gain more experience and start to build your stash.  Or you can choose one focus fabric that really catches your eye, and then locate other near-solids that coordinate well as you hold them next to each other.  There are color dots on the selvage that help you identify coordinating colors.  Don't forget that you have a really good resource in the quilt shop employees - they LOVE to help customers select fabrics!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 265

thank you I will try this

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,396
Points 19,400

Hi Elaine,

As you can see already, you've come to right place. You've already gotten a lot of help. Everyone here is so nice and generous with their information. It is also very comforting to come here with a quilting problem or any other problem and get so much positive feedback. I love all these people here. Again, welcome.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use