Flynn Quilting System

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,579
Points 36,115
ls2116 Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:22 PM

Just wondering if any of you use quilting system?  The one I seen was on ebay.  Just curiouse if something like that would make free motion quilting easier for me or is something like that more of hindrance for use on midarm machine.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,122
Points 110,720

ls2116:

Just wondering if any of you use quilting system?  The one I seen was on ebay.  Just curiouse if something like that would make free motion quilting easier for me or is something like that more of hindrance for use on midarm machine.

I had never heard of this. I looked at it on eBay and he wants about $125.00.  Amazon has it for $129.00.  Check out the reviews. There are only 6 reviews. Four of the reviews really liked it. One didn't like it at all and one returned it as it wasn't what she expected. But she has yet to get her refund from the company.

Things to keep in mind when making a decision.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 773
Points 11,600
weezee56 replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 2:01 AM

Hello Is2116

I purchased the Flynn Quilting System several years ago, before he had the round rods. The one I got, I furnished my own 2x2's to use with the frame. He has a web site you can watch a video on how it works. I've used it for hand quilting. I have never used it with my sewing machine. My machine was not very good for free motion.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 635
Points 16,195
Zsofia replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 7:06 AM

Hi Is2116 - I got one last year and didn't like it and here is why : it took me a half a day to put the frame together with the quilt layers (on his DVD it takes him a few minutes so I guess I should practice more). I could not balance the tension right so the frame was somewhat uneven it is not as easy to navigate on the roller and after I started to quilt I realized my sewingmachine's throat is not deep enough for the designe (or any designe on that fact) So I could not quilt out to the border and after I rolled the quilt I could not "blend" in the next row there was a gap between the areas I was working on. So I got frustrated took the quilt off the frame took out the stitches and quilted without the frame. So the thing to consider if the throat your machine is less than 12" you do not have enough space for quilting with the frame in my opinion (my machine's throat is 7" from the needle to the back...) . The fram is pretty balky too.He make it soo easy on the previev but I guess the more you use it the easier will be to use it. Hope it helps.

Zsofia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

I have the older Flynn system with the square wooden rods. After breaking three needles in under five minutes I put it away in frustration. I haven't given up, I'm just not ready to try again. First I am going to learn how to do FMQ on my domestic sewing machine. Then when I have the hand/speed movement learned I will try the Flynn system again. I am pretty sure I was pushing on the Flynn frame when the needle was down which is why the needles kept breaking. I have to learn to co-ordinate so I am pushing/sliding the fabric only when the needle is up. Even if I can only learn enough to use the Flynn quilting system to baste my quilts with water soluble thread I will consider it money well spent. Basting the quilt sandwich is my least favorite part. (For health reasons I am able to use spray basting. Sigh)

Looking forward to hear others experiences with the Flynn quilting system.

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:44 AM

Denise, my thought is if you learn how to do FMQ on your domestic ,why do you need the frame. ? Just seems like to me it would be in the way.  Now that is just my opinion.for what its worth. LOL   

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,579
Points 36,115
ls2116 replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 12:59 PM

Thank you all for advice on the frame.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use