Fixing puckers!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 140
Ruthann posted on Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:41 PM

I'm really new to all of this online stuff, but I have a question about puckers. I just finished quilting a twin size quilt (doing free motion for first time) and I have a pucker on the back I'd like to fix.  Does anyone have a tried and true way of fixing them?

Thanks.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Ruthann, it is nice to meet you. As for your pucker, I'm not sure there is a way short of picking it all out.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 140

Nice to meet you as well.  The block is quilted with a motif design and the pucker is actually between the quilted area.  I was thinking of cutting it in the middle of the pucker and hand sewing it down.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I don't think, if it were me, that I would cut it; but, maybe you could hand applique something that goes with the theme of your quilt over it.

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 140

I like that idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that; as I enjoy doing applique.  Sometimes two heads are better than one. :-)  This quilt has been a "challenge" for me from the get-go!  Thank you.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

You are welcome Ruthann, don't forget to share pictures when you are done... :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,825 Posts
Points 248,634
Barbara replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:17 AM

Ruthann sometimes depending on how big the pucker is  you can take your finger nail and work it out.  Now this will not really work if it is a really large pucker.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,116 Posts
Points 29,750
Ramona replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:50 AM

Ruthann,

Years ago I received a quilt back from the quilters that had a pucker or two in it on the back. I just took out enough stitches to allow for the fullness to be worked in. Took it to my machine and matched the thread the best I could and lenghtened my stitches to match the stitching. You want to bring up your bobbin thread and take a few small stitches, clip the threads,  then stitch along working in the fullness. When you get close to the end take a few more small stitches, bring up your bobbin thread and snip the ends.   Don't forget to post pictures!

Welcome to the group!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,030 Posts
Points 368,947
Kris replied on Mon, Nov 19 2012 9:32 PM

Ruthann,

I love Spud's idea of appliquéing something over it (perhaps the label). When/if the quilt is washed the pucker might not be so obvious.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use