Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 640
tidesout Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:23 PM

I seem to have develop ten thumbs and I must be getting blind.  I got a quilt top all together, including two borders.  I started layering it and was almost finished.  That is when I found the one setting triangle that had the fabric wrong side out!  The fabric was a difficult one to tell the difference between the back and the front, if you didn't look closely.  Obviously, I didn't.  So, of course, I had to unsew.  In the process of that chore, I pricked my finger and created blood spots.  Glad I was in my sewing room by myself.  I keep telling myself that this is fun and I shall get past this.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

tidesout:
I keep telling myself that this is fun and I shall get past this.

And you shall... At this point in my life, if it was that hard to tell I probably would have just left it :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 2:05 PM

Oh, shoot - the blood spots might be worse than the backwards fabric.  Did you get them out?  Better luck tomorrow!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 731
Points 14,190

I read somewhere that saliva removes blood spots. I tried it and it worked. I'm not going to tell anyone where the blood spot was- I don't want anyone to think I spit on my quilts, but it really did work!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,120
Lindsey replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 3:18 PM

Yes, your salivia is the only thing that can get your own blood spots out. By spitting on cotton wool and dabbing the blood spot, it easily removes the blood. That's what embroiders do all the time! 

Also, quilter's used to deliberately make a mistake because it was deemed that only God was perfect, so quilter's weren't supposed to make perfect quilts! That could have been your excuse for your mistake, if it was unfixable!!

But well done for perservering anyway! I know myself I would have forever seen that one mistake and cursed myself, instead of being proud of having made it in the first place!

Happy stitching! Lindsey, Norfolk, UK

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 6:52 PM

I would have left the block the way it was.  I do have respect for those who are more bent on perfection.  I just can't go there.  I like what I do but I can quickly get over small mistakes like that!  LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,560
Points 246,157
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:13 PM

I have great empathy for you - I have done that - not the cutting of my finger part - but the finding of that mistake - if I am doing the sewing together of the sandwich - then it stays a mistake - if it is anytime before that I have to take care of it.  WE do love this process and it is fun!!! teehee

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 300

I am sure that you already know.... alcohol takes out blood stains IF you apply it immediately after to stain happens. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,955
Points 368,357
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 3:40 PM

Sorry you had to do all that ripping. I'm with Jeannine; I would have left it that way.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Peroxide on a Q-tip works well too but your own saliva is a lot handier.  :o)

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,306
Points 29,605
Agnes replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 6:02 PM

I would have left that mistake but I have taken the route of unsewing when something glared at me in the middle of quilting. This was a commissioned quilt and was very visible. It was a complete block oriented wrong.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use