Best way to mark a quilt top?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 285
Martha posted on Sat, Nov 17 2012 8:44 AM

I just finished marking a quilt top with a chalk wheel marker and am now second quessing my choice.  The chalk seems to brush away so easily I'm afraid I'm going to lose all my lines once I get started.  This is a memory quilt for my granddaughter for a Christmas gift, and I'd rather not have to wash it before I give it to her.  Anyone have recommendation on how to mark that won't require washing?  What is your favorite way to mark?  Up until now I have mostly hand quilted, or when using the machine have done stitch-in-the-ditch and/or stippling, neither of which have required marking.  Thanks!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Martha ,Have you tired the Frxion pens ? they are great  you can mark all you want, then all you have to do is iron your quilt and the marks go away. I use mine all they time .I just did a small whole cloth quilt in white and had no problems with  marks after pressed.  You will love them ,they come in all colors as well ..You can get them at most shops or at amazon  as well .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

Hi Martha it is nice to meet you.  I read on one of the Long Arm Yahoo Groups that some of them use the washable Crayola Markers - I have used them in places where they did not show, but never on a quilt.  

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,220 Posts
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:32 PM

Barbara:
Martha ,Have you tired the Frxion pens ?

Martha, we love Barbara dearly and understand that she is "spelling" (or typing challenged) LOL ... but they are "Frixion" pens in case you try to find them.  They are now being carried in some quilt stores, but, at least in our area, are mostly still stocked in office supply area of stores like Staples, Office Depot, etc. (To be honest, I don't think the company knows yet that there is this other wonderful use for them, and personally, I don't want them to.  Then they will raise the price!!!)   They are marvelous and I use them all the time!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:38 PM

Donna ,you are so kind .Yes I'm a lousy typist. I think faster then I can get the words typed and then they are all mess up. I have long nails as well and my fingers slip of the keys a lot. I try to go back and check my words ,but I miss them a lot to . LOL   sometimes when I type I think i  have a bad case of dyslexia .Oh well what can a girl do maybe I need to get that dragon soft wear and talk instead of type ..LOL    

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,034 Posts
Points 169,738
Marie replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 1:21 PM

Don't you ever change Barbara, we love you the way you are, and type, and talk, and quilt!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,220 Posts
Points 41,005

Barbara:
Donna ,you are so kind .Yes I'm a lousy typist.

Don't feel bad Barbara,  I go back and edit almost everything I post...LOL! 

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,929 Posts
Points 233,862
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 4:34 PM

Donna - I found when I used chalk that I did have to remark a lot with it - it doesn't stay all that long.  Depending on what type of quilting you are doing you can use things like painter's tape too... or they have some stuff called Inchie tape that works for straight line too... they also have paper out now that you can pin or spray baste on and stitch the design - gold paper too - I always call it gold paper - it is a gold color - can't remember what the exact name is but it is a thin paper that you mark your design on and then stitch through it.  

I don't even notice Barbara's mis spelled words - I am one of those people that as long as most of the letters are there my brain just puts them in the right order...teehee... we do love Barbara though...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,344 Posts
Points 126,144

Donna B:
Don't feel bad Barbara,  I go back and edit almost everything I post...LOL! 

Me too, I never get your right, almost always type you and there are many more. :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 285
Martha replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 5:35 PM

Thanks Barbara (and company ;-)  I saw your post while I was out running errands today and stopped by Office Max to pick some up.  I'll give them a test on some fabric scraps from my quilt tonight.  Fingers crossed!

Martha

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use