rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:52 PM

Martha

I would definitely go with the 12" throat.  You will have a much easier time with your quilting and will wonder how you ever quilted on your present machine.   I personally don't think you could go wrong with the 820.  I would love to have the 830 because I also love embroidery.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:54 PM

Martha

I didn't catch the question about king size quilts.  I quilt my king....well the girls here call the tents... on my 11 in throat and would almost kill for that extra inch..LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 285
Martha replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 6:26 AM

Thanks for the advice.  As it turns out, I'm still machine hunting.  The day I was supposed to place my order for the Bernina the store owner decided to close the store!  So, no machine yet.  There is one other Bernina shop in town, but I'm now also looking at Baby Locks and Brother machines.  And... I've now got the embroidery bug too, so I'm trying to look at machines that will do it all.  Crazy... ;-)

Anyone have advice on Bernina vice Brother vice Baby Lock? 

Martha

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,114
Points 14,370
Dawn replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 6:50 AM

Welcome Martha!  I don't have any advice about the machines, but wanted to welcome you to the club!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

HI Martha it is nice to meet you. As for your new machine, I would say - get the largest throat you can afford, you will never regret the extra room..

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,238
Points 239,647
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:43 AM

Martha, If you can afford that beast of an 820 - go for it ... it is heavy too besides having a longer arm.  I have quilted king size quilts with my little Pfaff which has a 6" throat space - just lots of fluffing and stuffing.  when i got my Janome 6500 with an almost 10" throat I was in 7th heaven.  I love the 10" and can work with it fine...It just depends on how much room each individual person needs.  I think the 10" is great - my hands can spread out so that I can move my quilt under the needle just great.  good luck.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Martha:
Anyone have advice on Bernina vice Brother vice Baby Lock? 

Never owned a Bernina, but the Baby Lock and Brother are made by the same company, unless that has changed in the last year. I have a Brother 1500s and love it, I looked at the Baby lock and it was the same machine but more expensive.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:17 PM

Kelly, I don't have the 830 QE. I have the 830 LE. ....let me go look to make sure! Yep! It's the LE. Which means Limited Edition!  QE would mean Quilters Edition but I think that would be the 820! Kind of wish that is what I had as I never have used the embroidery part of the machine. I have a Babylock Enterprise that I use for that. The 820 has more for the quilter.  Sorry for confusing you! 

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use