rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:02 PM

Hello,

I have been quilting since 1987, my first quilt was a Trip Around the World crib quilt for a friend. I have been hooked ever since. I lived most of my adult in the Minneapolis, MN area where there is an active quilt community and lots of great quilt shops. Moved to TN seven years ago where it is a quilt desert with an oasis here and there.

I started working from home 1.5 years ago and my office desk and sewing machine desk are back to back, I use the same chair. I am a customer technical service rep, on a hotline for a major medical company. While waiting for phone calls, I can work on quilts!!!

I like most types of quilting, love needle turn hand applique, but confess most of my quilts are rotary cut and machine pieced. I am outsourcing most of the quilting also to a longarm quilter who has become my first quilt friend in TN.

I have two grown children, a son and daughter. My daughter has been in the Army since she was 18, and is now a Captain in the Mass Army National Guard. She was deployed to Afganistan twice and Kuwait once. She is soon to be married and is living with her fiance in the Boston area, and is expecting twins next spring. My first grandchildren. My son is in customer service also and lives in Phoenix, AZ.

I look forward to exploring this site, I have posted pictures of the quilts I have made while working at home in my profile gallery.

My first question, how do you get the fun signatures? I am on a few boards for different sites and it is always a challenge!

Star

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Star it is nice to meet you. If you look on your home page on the left hand side there is a Frequently asked questions you will find your answer abt the signatures there.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

FAQ

Here is the link for the frequently asked questions, scroll down and you will find signatures under managing your online account.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,657
Points 136,077
Leslie replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:11 PM

Hi Star, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 7:41 PM

Oh, my, Star. If we are not related, we SHOULD be. I have ancestors from Murfreesboro, my sister lives in Tullahome, one of her DIL's does the same job you do (but in Louisiana), and her eldest son lives in Phoenix. Can we get any closer then that????

Welcome to our little piece of quilty heaven. We are a chatty group. You will love it here. There are tons of groups to join, swaps and retreats. There is a retreat in March in Branson, Mo. . I think that's the next one. Check them out, they go on, in different parts of the country, all year long, it seems like. And, there is one in Sieverville, TN in July!

Hope to see you on the forums soon. We would love to see pictures of your quilts, too.

Welcome.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,616
Points 247,307
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:05 PM

Welcome to QCA Star, I know you will love it here.  Sounds like an awesome job that you have.  Thank your daughter for her service from one vet to another.  My DH and I are planning on moving to the SW corner of MN in 2014 to be near our kids and grand kids - one of the hardships of being in the service you are always so far from family.  Congratulations on the twins - we are expecting a new grandson in the spring... Fun signatures come from the Live Signature site.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:04 PM

Star:
I started working from home 1.5 years ago and my office desk and sewing machine desk are back to back, I use the same chair. I am a customer technical service rep, on a hotline for a major medical company. While waiting for phone calls, I can work on quilts!!!

Hi Star!  Welcome to the club.  Goodness, if I could have found a job like yours, I would still be working.  What a perfect set up!

Sorry to hear you haven't found many quilters in TN.  Well, there are lots of us here, and we love to chat!  As a newbie, you should be warned that this website has been acting up.  Supposedly the techs are working on a fix, but in the meantime, don't give up on us if the site bogs down.  We're all dealing with the same frustration.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:58 PM

hi star, welcome to the group, congratulations on your first grandchildren.  two at once.  wow.   this is a great place.  we have several groups here, one of them is an applique group.  pop on over there and check out what we are doing, when you get a sec. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:02 PM

Star welcome to the club. You will love it here.If I remember right we have alot of sisters in Tn, I'm sure they will let you know .  take care and chat with us often.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:04 PM

LuJuan,

LOL, my sister lives in New Orleans, my dad lives in Tullahoma! I posted a few quilts on my gallery if you want to stroll by.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,470
Star replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I did the signature. I look forward to hearing from the TN quilters, maybe I can gather some more quilting friends.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:17 AM

Star:
my dad lives in Tullahoma

I don't suppose his last name is Winton? Is it?

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,527
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:32 AM

Hi Star and Welcome from another one in Tn.

I also moved here 7 years ago from upstate NY.  I retired from working for the State for 34 years.  It's a lot cheaper to live here than in NY.  I've been quilting for about 15 years.  My DH and I have no kids but tons of nieces and nephews and always more on the way.  I make quilts for all the weddings and babies in the family as they happen.  Keeps me busy.  I'm also a member of 2 guilds in  my area, Morristown in East Tn.  I'm about 40 miles northeast of Knoxville.  It's a smaller city but there are tons of shops within about an hour's drive or so.  I know you're about 4 hours away from me but we could always meet up sometime in the middle.  Crossville has a really nice quilt shop right off the exit of I-40.  Well, that's it for now but welcome again.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:38 AM

OMG Star you will love Diana,She has a wonderful big heart and a great stash in her basement studio which I'd love to liberate.LOL   she is so much fun to be around. you have just got to meet her ,you won't be sorry.

Diana I miss you wish you lived closer .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,805
Sukochi replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 7:49 AM

Star, everything Barbara says is so true about Diana. She is just the sweetest person. And a great one to stroll through a quilt show with.

Sukochi

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use