Top 10 Posters

Color of thread for piecing?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
2,717 Posts
Points 38,350
ls2116 posted on Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:16 PM

Just wondered your opinion if i'm breaking a cardinal rule for quilting by always piecing with contrasting color thread rather than matching.  Which do you piece with a match or contrast thread?  I usually piece with white. 

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I piece with grey and natural a lot.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Is ,I to use alot of Gray's and neturals. this is what I mostly have with my big cones of thread , 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,705

For piecing, I use whatever thread I have that's close to the color of the fabric. It may end up being lots of different shades of that color. It doesn't show, anyway, so as long as it's not black thread with white fabric or something like that, I figure just use what I have. Now, for quilting, I love buying new King Tut variegated threads!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,346 Posts
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:06 PM

For light colored fabrics I piece with off - white - for dark colors a dark gray or black.  Your thread should not show on the top but sometimes no matter how hard we try it shows through so close to the top color works for me with light or dark...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

If a quilt has a lot of contrast, it would be impossible to match both the light and dark pieces, so I piece with a  neutral.  I saw Barbara using a large cone of neutral and now I copy her.  I no longer buy lots of colors of thread except for the final quilting.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:32 PM

i try to use dark thread for dark fabric and light  thread for lighter,  i end up using what's in the bobbin and if i am really being lazy, i just keep using up bobbins that have thread on them.   mostly i have black and off white.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
2,717 Posts
Points 38,350
ls2116 replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 10:05 PM

Thanks for replying everyone!

Gini thats a great idea on bobbin use to keep bobbins fresh,  I have some that probably haven't been used for years!

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,728 Posts
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 9:05 PM

I do what Gini does. I usually keep 15 to 20 bobbins ready but I use up the ones that are left over from quilting or embroidery projects.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
656 Posts
Points 16,605

Thank you all for these tips. I've been making things way too hard as I've been changing out thread to match the fabrics.  Sometimes that means three changes in a single block.  I'll buy some dark grey the next time I'm in town as I have plenty of white, ecru and black.

Brigit-Carol

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use